tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Retracing History of Kuching
Home away from home
From Kitty City
Speaking of early sarawak history, there's this Datuk Merpati described on top of mt. Santubong, attached is d full text.

Attach file:

jpg  CIMG1444.JPG (92.43 KB)
1332_466fc71d25e06.jpg 704X528 px

Posted on: 2007/6/13 18:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
datuk merpati have one sister and one brother..theyre from majapahit..he married with sultan johor princess..on the way back to majapahit they wash away to langka pura(ancient name of borneo island) his sister then married to king of sikudana while his brother married to sambas princess.

datuk merpati try to go back to majapahit but still failed and then wash away to tanjung datu(there is still his grave at tanjung datu) then they went to santubong..on that time there also people staying there.

his wife and daughter then kidnapped by pirate but his wife kill the pirate but the ship floating to brunei kingdom.and at brunei datu merpati daughter married with a man there which become the great grandparent of Brunei sultanate..

only then datuk merpati son stayed in santubong..maybe then sarawak opened but still not using a sarawak name..

Posted on: 2007/6/13 19:09

Home away from home
thats make a connection between brunei kingdom,sarawak and sambas until today.. the great grand children of thus Datuk Merpati Jepang is known in Malay with their name started with Abang,Dayang,Wan ,Sharifah..

refered to Datuk Abang Mustapha which is the late datuk bandar Kuching.if u look in sarawak history there is title even before Brooke era still used as Datuk Bandar,Datuk Temenggong,Orang Kaya,etc etc..mm maybe you can go to library lah..

there's lot in the book hehhe

Posted on: 2007/6/13 19:13

Home away from home
From Sydney
Datuk Patinggi, Datuk Bandar, Datuk Temenggong and other titles were in use during the Brunei Sultanate's rule over Kuching/Sarawak. Sometimes, parents choose to put the title of Abang or Dayang, just to give their kids a royal feeling, or even a status, though not officially conferred.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the Sarawakian leadership comes from old Sarawakian nobility.

And yes, Sarawak's pre-independence leaders did place such terms before the great Tunku and company, with good intentions. Now that we are at least on par, some might argue above, the other states in West Malaysia, we should at least loosen restrictions, though I doubt if that would happen any time soon.

The leadership is enjoying as much as they can from our monopoly. In fact, in their positions, we might even use it to the max as well. We can argue that the urban populace is highly educated but the interior populace is still relatively behind. It's a tricky balancing act.

Pity the Australian couple. This will make headlines for sure, and Sarawak real estate won't seem that tempting any more, though similar cases have happened elsewhere, especially in France. So, it's just a small blimp on the radar.

The leadership have an interest in keeping wealthy foreign investors interested. The street level bureaucrats are just having a piss at them for sure.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 22:28

Just can't stay away
Based on the discussion, the history of Sarawak is as colourful as the history of Malacca or in par with any states in Peninsula Malaysia. The history of Sarawak shall be arranged in the following time frame:

1. Before 50000 years, cave people in Mulu cave
2. 1500 - 1841, Sarawak in the Sultanate of Brunei
3. 1841 - 1941, Sarawak Under Brookes Rule
4. 1941 - 1945, The Japanese occupation
5. 1945, Liberation from Japanese and Anti cession movement
6. 1945 - 1963, British Crown crony
7. 1963 - 1965, Conforntation with Indonesia and undeclared war fought
8. 1963 - Present, Sarawak in Malaysia

We have a long and colourful history. The land of Sarawak has transformed from the Land of the Head Hunters to the Land of The White Rajahs and to presently The Land of The Hornbill. Sarawak is itself a legend and the legend shall be utilised to promote Sarawak and attract foreign visitors who would love the legend.

Sarawak history has been downplayed by the Federal Government and we shall documented the history so that it could be passed to future generation.

Posted on: 2007/6/14 6:02

Home away from home
From canada
That's a very accurate chronological progression of Sarawak's history. The Sarawak Historical Society (is there one?) should commission a panel of researchers to get down to the nitty-gritty and start compiling these 8 volumes from all available facts, datas or even heresay evidence for all posterity.

Webbie....want to take the lead?

Posted on: 2007/6/14 7:15

Webmaster
From Kuching
Quote:

reid wrote:
That's a very accurate chronological progression of Sarawak's history. The Sarawak Historical Society (is there one?) should commission a panel of researchers to get down to the nitty-gritty and start compiling these 8 volumes from all available facts, datas or even heresay evidence for all posterity.

well I'll do what I can from what I have now. I will be utilizing this site as much as I can with the contributions of members. thats why I started this topic.

Much of our history is still not known. Older history like the Brooke era are burried and just needed to be dug up and compiled.

Modern history are not known and certainly not well documented in anyway today. Articles are published in newspaper and thrown away. I doubt they were digitized 30-50 years ago.

The uglier side of things, this site has never receive any recognition nor related to any government body. So there won't be any funds for doing this. I think that most of us are doing this for the sake of preserving the history so we have something to tell and show to the future generation. This site can always be a reference for that.

This site has indirectly documented Kuching development for the past 4 years where most construction and happenings are being followup. BDC Gyratory, The Spring, establishment of the 1st popular franchise - Coffee Bean, destruction of Sarawak Club, the fall of the Satok suspension bridge and many major events which I did coverage on.

thats my idea and thoughts

Posted on: 2007/6/14 7:38

Home away from home
From Kitty City
Quote:

reid wrote:

There is such a formal committee, but their main task is to hold meeting in luxury places (usually not sarawak), and discussing about the wierd road names honoring some tokoh-tokoh by using their long and impossible-to-remember name, and of course, as a laughing stock in # Sia's blog...

If I'm not wrong, that's all they do...

Posted on: 2007/6/14 11:55

Home away from home
From canada
No wonder Webbie has honorably decided to undertake the unenviable task of documenting the historical events that occured in Kuching as a start, and hopefully to extend over the length and breadth of Sarawak.

Just say ....pooh pooh to the committee, if all they do is behave like a bunch of small-time mafia!

Posted on: 2007/6/14 13:54

Webmaster
From Kuching
Quote:

reid wrote:
No wonder Webbie has honorably decided to undertake the unenviable task of documenting the historical events that occured in Kuching as a start, and hopefully to extend over the length and breadth of Sarawak.

Just say ....pooh pooh to the committee, if all they do is behave like a bunch of small-time mafia!

Yea! that is one of the major objective of this site.
1) document modern history of Kuching
2) create a online community for Kuchingites in all over the world
3) provide happenings and news going on around the city

Posted on: 2007/6/14 14:59

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.