Re: Peace Exhibition @ tHe Spring in Oct
Home away from home
From Kuchingite
maybe the new PM have this plan.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 13:04

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
some pictures taken at hiroshima. people were more quiet & a bit of meloncholy in the air...

Attach file:

jpg  Abom1.jpg (98.51 KB)
735_48f192c9c76a7.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  Abom2.jpg (53.82 KB)
735_48f192d7d7490.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2008/10/12 14:07

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
hmmm...

Posted on: 2008/10/13 7:59

Home away from home
From Kch
When I said atomic bomb is not the nuclear weapons today, I meant it figuratively, not literally. So yeah. A 'computer' in 1948 is not a computer in today's term, because we're now conditioned to think computers = fast machines. We can call it an early computer or a predecessor, but figuratively... it was a lesser machine. Just like the A-bombs of 1945 are 'puny' compared to the nuclear weapons that we have today. In today's term, today's capacity. Besides, A-bomb is fission bomb, whereas the threat we're facing today is the more powerful thermonuclear bomb. Fundamentally, they're all the same. But figuratively, symbolically, they're not. If only ppl can see the symbolism of it as a whole. we're facing a greater threat with the nuclear weapons of today due to the advancement of technology.

According to The Myers Briggs Type Indicator®, my personality type is an INFJ, so I'm more tuned to the 'feel' of stuff than the hard facts. So, don't flame me for my opinions.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 12:02
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Kch
Open in new window

The exhibition is at its close tonight. Thanks to those who dropped by and showed support. For those who couldn't make it or didn't bother to, you can have a look at the .pdf file below for key issues covered.

http://www.sgi-usa.org/newsandevents/ ... HumanSpirit-Web-Dec07.pdf (3MB)

Posted on: 2008/10/14 21:11
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
Quote:

Fuyu wrote:
When I said atomic bomb is not the nuclear weapons today, I meant it figuratively, not literally. So yeah. A 'computer' in 1948 is not a computer in today's term, because we're now conditioned to think computers = fast machines. We can call it an early computer or a predecessor, but figuratively... it was a lesser machine. Just like the A-bombs of 1945 are 'puny' compared to the nuclear weapons that we have today. In today's term, today's capacity. Besides, A-bomb is fission bomb, whereas the threat we're facing today is the more powerful thermonuclear bomb. Fundamentally, they're all the same. But figuratively, symbolically, they're not. If only ppl can see the symbolism of it as a whole. we're facing a greater threat with the nuclear weapons of today due to the advancement of technology.

According to The Myers Briggs Type Indicator®, my personality type is an INFJ, so I'm more tuned to the 'feel' of stuff than the hard facts. So, don't flame me for my opinions.

what about computers 10 years ago? 486's Pentium 1's. are those computers? compared to today, they are bloody slow. how about cars? ford model T came out 100 years ago, its a cart with wheels then?

now i'm confused why figuratively why not literally? does it create more impact? to me it feels like changing history. like your telling the poor souls who got nuked in the bombing during WW2 that, blah, what you had was nothing compared to our ReAL nuclear bomb cos your A-bomb was old and not devastating enough only flattened a city, blah. ours could split the planet in 2.

If it smells like a dog, barks like a dog its a dog. unless it grew wings and fly, then it would be a nuclear mutant.

my profiling suggests I'm a person who relies on facts n figures. I'm not trying to discount the Peace Exhibition which is good, I been twice, but the hot narrator ignore me , just your expression of real nuclear or not real, cos I cant get it round my head.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 21:58

Home away from home
From Terra
A thought just came to mind. Nuclear weapons as we know it today have not been used in actual combat. There have been close calls but none were detonated in retaliation or warfare; just in controlled testing conditions.

Considering the US and Russia have nuclear weapons, why didn't the USSR use it against Afghanistan during the 1970s, or the US in Vietnam and right now? Partly due to prudence, checks and balances and the sheer knowledge that exploding a bomb would cause untold damage; politically, economically and socially.

Computers and biological experiments pose an equal threat when it come to total costs, but when it comes to scale, the nuclear bomb literally blows the competition away. Computers, over time, can subvert us, by making us delegate more and more tasks to machines. Biological experiments might create Gerald's flying dog mutant. These are just incremental. The nuclear weapon is a statement of pure, unadulterated, brutish power in its rawest form.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 22:22

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
so your in agreement that nuclear bomb is not atomic

Posted on: 2008/10/14 22:39

Home away from home
From Kch
Quote:

gerald wrote:

now i'm confused why figuratively why not literally? does it create more impact? to me it feels like changing history. like your telling the poor souls who got nuked in the bombing during WW2 that, blah, what you had was nothing compared to our ReAL nuclear bomb cos your A-bomb was old and not devastating enough only flattened a city, blah. ours could split the planet in 2.

I'm not discounting the sufferings of those in WW2. But what I'm saying is, the effects back then was so terrifying, we don't need history to repeat itself with the advanced/hitech version of today's nuclear weapons because the effects would be soo unimaginably terrible that it could be the end of humanity and human history. We can't change the past, but we *hope* to steer our future away from the same destructive route, albeit several times more lethal.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 22:46

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]