Re: How to boost local tourism ?
Home away from home
From Singapore
Quote:

Titi10 wrote:
Hi Guy and gal,

Any nightspot to recommend?

I will be visiting kuching this july 21st

HI there, you mean happening pubbing izzit?

Posted on: 2006/7/12 19:25

Home away from home
From sarawak
even they sell it at the waterfront n some tourist espcially from w.masia love such kind of things.

Posted on: 2006/7/13 8:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just popping in
Quote:

webmaster wrote:
resuree,
u mean these people selling these stuff?

I think that adds character to the city.

I've been to all the major towns in the west coast of Peninsula Malaysia (JB to Alor Setar, except for Kangar). They each have their own character. The towns closest to the character of Kuching are, in my humble opinion, Ipoh and Georgetown.

Back to the topic of promoting tourism in Kuching, I believe that Kuching needs to be discovered by tourists. If we over-promote Kuching, we'll raise tourists expectations and if we don't live up to them, we'll only tarnish our own image.

Take for example this year's Rainforest Music Festival. I knew a group of people from Austria and Peninsula Malaysia (16 of them) who got to know it via word of mouth. Furthermore, it was apparently quite difficult to purchase the tickets here in KL. Knowing the limited space in SCV, it wouldn't have been a good idea to promote it loudly nationwide if tickets are limited.

I believe that we can promote tourism in Kuching by being friendly and helpful to tourists. If we genuinely show them that we care and want them to have a good experience of Kuching, I'm sure they will return for another visit.

As far as infrastructure is concerned, improving roads (by tar-sealing potholes, etc) is one thing, upgrading them to 4-lane highways is another. Anybody who's been to JB can see my point.

By the way, some of these Austrians I previously mentioned are coming back for next year's RMF.

Posted on: 2006/7/19 19:13

Just popping in
A theme park like Genting Highland or Sunway Lagoon will work i think.. It might attract large number of tourists from nearby cities and towns.. However, infrastructure in Sarawak's major cities is in need to be improved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2006/7/19 21:07

Quite a regular
From Memphis TN USA
I think the tourism department needs a better strategy and a bigger advertising budget. Malaysia, let alone Kuching, isn’t promoted around the world. I have never seen a commercial for Malaysia tourism but I have seen several for Bali, Singapore, and Thailand. I also don’t see ads in the back of major travel magazine such as Condé Nast Traveler, Budget Travel, or National Geographic Traveler. You don’t have to start with an expensive full or half page ad, just a small one in the back. Small ads in the back of Magazines really don’t cost that much.

Malaysia is ripe for tourism at the moment. There are many people looking for a vacation somewhere in Asia but don’t know Malaysia and especially Sarawak, is a great option. After the horrific bombings in Bali and the terribly sad Tsunami in Thailand people are scared to visit those places. Also those places have gotten a bad reputation because of the prostitution and other problems. Malaysia could easily position itself in the market as the “safe” or “clean” destination. If people knew about it they would come but they really don’t hear much about what a great place it is.

I know Kuching doesn’t have the massive tourist infrastructure of those places but this can be a plus. I personally prefer Malaysia to both Bali and Thailand. It feels a bit safer because there aren’t bombings and you are virtually safe from natural disasters. It also feels like a more authentic experience, not so touristy. I also love the fact that you don’t have women propositioning you every 10 minutes or guys trying to sell you stuff you don’t need on the beach. This has really gotten out of hand in Thailand.

Kuching has so much to offer. You have a great new airport, a nice sized city, and plenty of hotels. There seems to be a wide range of festivals stemming from all the different cultures and tourists really appreciate that. Kuching is also a great jumping off point for Eco-tourists. You can see Orangutans, the Rafflesia, crocodiles, and countless other animals all in one day.

When I go I usually make a stop at Damai as well and I have a wonderful time. I was surprised at first because it seems many locals are a bit down on it. Sure the water clarity isn’t great but the beach has always been very clean and a great place to sun. It’s so peaceful, the help is great and the food is good. Its location near the cultural village makes it ideal. Every foreign tourist I talked to there really thought it was a gem of a place, especially for the price. Damai really is what many tourists are looking for but they just don’t know about the place. Camp Permai is also a very Unique and wonderful place. I have spent a couple nights there and really thought it was highly marketable. With the wonderful tree houses, the great nature trails, and the good location near the Cultural village there is no reason this place shouldn’t be booked 100% most of the year.

Malaysia as a country has so much to offer a tourist. Just a few of the things are the great people, great food, safety, beauty, and a favorable exchange rate for most. With a decent marketing program Kuching could easily increase its tourist business ten fold. But if people don’t know about it they can’t come. Its really all about the marketing.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 22:08

Home away from home
From Kuching
I tend to agree with new22003 in terms of the importance of marketing. Us locals may not see it but Kuching/Sarawak has a lot to offer tourists looking for a unique and truly satisfying holiday experience.

Sure, there's no doubt that there are areas where improvements can/should be made, like infrastructure, new attractions like the Santubong cable-car, allowing more direct flights/destinations to our brand, spanking new & underutilised airport etc. but the fact of the matter remains: Sarawak is largely unknown to the outside world. Heck, we can do ourselves a favour and learn from Sabah. They've done a much better job than us and as a result, the tourism industry there is miles ahead of ours. I don't think Sarawak is inferior to Sabah in terms of marketable tourist attractions or destinations. It boils down to how it's all marketed, and in that respect, we've done a sorry job to date.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 10:09

Webmaster
From Kuching
the tourism board ought to read this page.
but sadly i doubt they know about the existence of this website.

btw. Jay,
the sarawak tourism board spent rm400,000 or less on their new website. they got alot of budget but they don't know how to spend it. its clearly a bad governance and leadership.

There you go,
http://www.sarawaktourism.com/

tell me what you think. let me know if it sux. I personally don't like it and feel it doesn't reflect Sarawak in anyway.I prefer the old website which has more "readable" text and easier navigation to information.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 19:36

Quite a regular
From Memphis TN USA
I actually like the Sarawak Tourism site; it’s a bit more professional and cleaner than the old one. But a web site is only the first step the tourism board needs to take.

The site, no matter how good or bad, is useless if no one sees it or only people that already know about Sarawak see it. The fact is Sarawak remains largely unknown which means many people won’t enter phrases like “Sarawak Tourism” into Google. If people don’t know about Sarawak they won’t run across it in a web search because they aren’t searching for Kuching or Sarawak. They need to do a much better job or reaching people who don’t know Kuching and Sarawak even exist. They need to entice people who are thinking about Bali or Thailand. This will involve using all forms of media for promotion.

If they were to take out small ¼ or 1/8th page ads in the back of major international and foreign travel magazines the results would be amazing and the cost wouldn’t be that much. These ads would of course have the web address for the site. I would be willing to bet site traffic would increase dramatically from just one of these ads. A web site should only be one facet of what should be a comprehensive tourism campaign.

There are also many other ideas for promotion such as encouraging and paying for travel writers to visit, listing affordable packages with large travel consolidators such as Travelocity. They also need to encourage local hotels and resorts to have good fares and make sure they are listed on the large travel sites. Many foreign tourists book exclusively on sites like Expedia, Travelocity, or Orbitz.

Malaysia Airlines also needs better marketing. Better marketing for the airline means more tourist dollars for all of Malaysia. It’s a great airline to fly as a passenger. The seats are comfy and the flight crews are very friendly. Sadly MAS never comes up well on a Travelocity search. Singapore, Thai, and Korean are always the first airlines that show up and much cheaper than MAS. MAS has what it takes to be a world leader in airline service but they are not utilizing it to its fullest. They are even discontinuing the flights from New York (Newark) as of January 2007. If MAS would work hand in hand with state tourism bureaus and local resorts on some great packages those planes could be kept full year round.

Sorry about the long posts, I’m a little passionate on the subject. I just wish I could introduce everyone to Kuching because I love it so much.

Posted on: 2006/10/20 2:38

Webmaster
From Kuching
Dun worry, i enjoy reading long informative post.

I still don't quite like the website and I think they spent way too much on it. That money could have used for something better like publcizing events to LOCAL PEOPLE !

There are few other events, even smaller ones which should be included in the tourism calendar but I don't know why they never do it. Even I wasn't well informed of it.

Btw, as for the website. Its done by ppl from west malaysia and not sarawakian. I spotted quite a number of mistake in there before and I don't know whether they fixed it.

Posted on: 2006/10/20 5:11

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Its not a bad website...

But so not worth RM$400,000. I've seen way nicer and better websites that cost only a fraction of that! I wonder what lucky company got paid that amount.

Posted on: 2006/10/20 10:36

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.