tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Retracing History of Kuching
Home away from home
From Sydney
Anthony Brooke is Charles Vynyer's brother, Rajah Charles had three sons. If I'm not msitaken, when the British took over, they sent the Brookes to exile.

The son from the local girl resides in Canada.

And contrary to popular belief, the locals did not revolt when the Japanese invaded. In fact, the Japanese tried to shame the Brooke's Administration by parading them as captives en route to Batu Lintang. The locals just bowed their heads in respect.

One reason why he handed Sarawak over to the British was because the war literally drained our state coffers. Sarawak was too poor to do anything, and he couldn't rule properly without healthy finances, so he thought British rule would be enough to prepare the state for self-sovereignty.

Remember, we were an independent country when the Brookes ruled, with the local elite and nobility forming a majority government. We were never colonialised under the Brookes as we had self-soveriengty. Only after 1945 to 1963 were we a Crown Colony. Prior to that, we were a Crown Protectorate for the early part of the 20th century.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 11:02

Home away from home
From Kuching
Yeah, it wasn't that bad and the history seems beautiful. I remember I studied the history how James Brooke tried to abolish the local aborigines Ibanese's practice of head-chopping. War between James Brooke and Rentap. That's really cool.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 11:26

Home away from home
From Sydney
Damn, what I meant was that the locals did not jubilate, as you would expect from how history is portrayed. When the Japanese paraded their British captives to Batu Lintang, the locals bowed their heads in respect to their foreign administrators and some couldn't even bare the sight and looked away.

True, Sir James Brooke did try to abolish head hunting, as to be honest, it is uncivilised to chop a man's head off. And it is Iban, not Ibanese; the Iban practice, not Ibanese practice. Head hunting only ended when the then Tuan Muda Charles Brooke used diplomacy to pacify the Iban communities.

The war was because Sir James Brooke wanted to expand territory and pacify his new country. The Ibans led by Rentap, wanted to remain independent, as even during the Bruneinan rule, the Sultan in Bandar Seri Begawan had issues with them so he let them be. Sir Brooke wasn't as accomodating.

In the end, to finish of the continued protracted in-fighting among the tribes, Rajah Charles Brooke introduced the Sarawak Regatta so that he can train his Sarawak Rangers and bring all the agressive energy to good use. The Ibans formed a large majority in the Rajah's Personal Guard, thanks to their reputation.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 12:23

Home away from home
From Kuching
Yeah, thanks for correcting. I always added -ese at the back where my friends corrected me about the "Koreanese" too.

About the practice, they didn't simply run to someone and chopped off their heads. They only hunted for their foes'.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 13:36

Home away from home
From Sydney
You're welcome...we seem to be making great advances in this topic. I'm sure there are more stories about our state which our officially sanctioned text books left out. Like the two Sultans of Sarawak, the Majapahit rule and the migration of our ethnic groups to Sarawak.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the site of Rajah Sir James Brooke's original bungalow in Kuching is just next to the present Astana, in the gardens.

And I also read somewhere that there are two burial plots dedicated to Rajah Charles' two young children. I read it a while back, and I'll really need to dig up on this. Word has it they were exhumed and sent back to England. Not too sure on the latter aspect.

Oh and also, did you know that the original St Thomas' Cathedral still exists? The wooden structure? When they built the current one, the original was reassembled in Kampung Quop/Kuap, near Padawan, right next to the current St James's Quop/Kuap.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 15:38

Home away from home
From Kuching
Yeah, the history book we learnt in school is very inaccurate. Lack of information, etc. I wish they could embellish up the structure of the course.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 18:58

Home away from home
kuching before name as kuching known as sarawak

sarawak before known as sarawak today call as borneo..borneo

came from word brunei..

see this link

sarawak map

x

Posted on: 2007/8/29 21:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Webmaster
From Kuching
that time Sarawak was a small considerable a small area. until james brooke fought all the way up to brunei, expanding the area of Sarawak. and that is Sarawak today.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 22:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Sydney
Actually, Rajah Sir James Brooke expanded Sarawak Proper, as Kuching was then known, to as far as the current Samarahan-Betong border. He stopped at Simanggang/Sri Aman if I'm not mistaken.

It was Rajah Sir Charles Brooke who expanded all the way to Miri, and the Limbang residents requested that Rajah Charles acquire Limbang from the Brunei Sultan. They joined freely, I believe.

Read 'Monarch of all he surveyed,' detailed biography of Rajah Sir Charles' life when he was Tuan Muda all the way to his death. My dad told me a story of how some of my ancestors were requested by the Rajah Brooke to populate the north, especially the Miri-Limbang area with settlers.

Sarawak came to it's current size from purchasing, acquisition, rewards in exchange for protecting Bruneian maritime trade, and extremely skilled diplomacy. How often can you get a statesman to grant you land without an army? I wouldn't be surprised if the Brookes actually encouraged the Ibans to attack Brunei, just to 'repel' them and 'protect' the Sultan.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 23:08

Home away from home
From Sydney
Sorry, my bad, Rajah Sir James Brooke expanded Sarawak to the Betong-Sibu border, not the Samarahan-Betong border. They just had to redefine the borders in 2004. Now I'm trying to get historical details and current maps to date.

By the way, according to the book I told you guys below, Rajah Charles decided to rename Sarawak Proper to Kuching to distinguish the capital, Sarawak Proper, from the country, Sarawak.

And also, the late Queen Mother of Great Britain, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, when she was still the Duchess of York, came to Kuching once, on a tour of the British Empire.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 23:16

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]