tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Tourism In Kuching
Home away from home
From Terra
Property is owned by SEDC, it was operated as a lease under Holiday Inn. Like the Crowne Plaza, most hotels in Kuching are owned by one company and operated by another.

Think of it like you have a house and leasing it out.

Posted on: 2008/8/21 17:10

Home away from home
Though not related to Kuching but it is about overall tourism industry.

Slowdown prompts hotels to drop rates

from Malaysia Hotel News by sns
ECONOMIC woes and tightened purse strings are finally causing some hotels in the four- and five-star categories to drop rates from now till December in the hope of raising occupancy. Hotels not offering discounted rates are throwing in value-adds to draw business.

From January to June 2008, Singapore Tourism Board (STB) reported that visitor arrivals and average room rate rose 2.9 per cent and 29.6 per cent respectively, as compared to the same period in 2007, while visitor receipts and average occupancy rate dipped 0.2 per cent and 3.4 per cent respectively.

Hotel Rendezvous general manager, Mr Kellvin Ong, said: "We are already seeing a slowdown in corporate travellers as companies curtailed their travelling patterns and expenditure. Many hotels like us are similarly impacted. We are also seeing some hotels dropping rates to get business."

An industry source said: "August is especially bad for Singapore. Any hotelier who says that business is great for the rest of this year is lying."

Pacific Arena reported that four- and five-star hotels had slashed their rates by at least 10 per cent in July and August, and had offered lower rates as well for September.

However, the dip in room rates will only offer a brief respite for inbound travel agents who have been having a hard time encouraging groups to stay on longer in expensive Singapore. Travel agents expect hotel performance to pick up again in the new year, and overall room rates will rise between five to 10 per cent.

Source : TTG

Posted on: 2008/8/21 17:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Terra
I might go and contradict that. My trips have proven otherwise. I have paid on occasion nearly double what I normally would in those categories, in Singapore and elsewhere.

However, I was given extra discounts when I extended my stay, and there was that 'free night' the offered in some of the Luxury Collection establishments among others.

Posted on: 2008/8/21 19:35

Home away from home
From Terra
I think I found a new way to promote Kuching and Sarawak: pepper.

No joke, Sarawak is well known for our high quality pepper, and it is considered a luxury and connoisseur's delight in some market. Kuching Airport has stalls dedicated to pepper sweets, pepper grains, ground pepper, pepper grinder, pepper sauces. Even Crabtree & Evelyn and Cartier uses Sarawakian pepper as an ingredient in their fragrances.

I mentioned I was born in Kuching, Sarawak once; and this Frenchwoman asked for confirmation, "Sarawak, place where they grow Sarawak pepper? Oh, c'est tres bon pour le cuisiner!" Let Sabah keep it's beaches, let Langkawi be known for the Four Seasons; time to make Kuching a culinary paradise, both haute cuisine and hawker fare.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 17:09

Home away from home
From Kuching
Perhaps we can have cat dolls and hornbill dolls sold at every tourism sites?

Posted on: 2008/8/26 19:41

Home away from home
From Terra
Quote:

mike86 wrote:
Perhaps we can have cat dolls and hornbill dolls sold at every tourism sites?

That might make it accidentally tacky and annoying. It's like seeing kangaroo dolls surrounding the Sydney Opera House or Statue of Liberty figurines at the Time Warner Centre. Nice for the first five minutes, after that you feel like ripping the heads off.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 20:14

Quite a regular
Quote:

Mocha wrote:
I think I found a new way to promote Kuching and Sarawak: pepper.

No joke, Sarawak is well known for our high quality pepper, and it is considered a luxury and connoisseur's delight in some market. Kuching Airport has stalls dedicated to pepper sweets, pepper grains, ground pepper, pepper grinder, pepper sauces. Even Crabtree & Evelyn and Cartier uses Sarawakian pepper as an ingredient in their fragrances.

I mentioned I was born in Kuching, Sarawak once; and this Frenchwoman asked for confirmation, "Sarawak, place where they grow Sarawak pepper? Oh, c'est tres bon pour le cuisiner!" Let Sabah keep it's beaches, let Langkawi be known for the Four Seasons; time to make Kuching a culinary paradise, both haute cuisine and hawker fare.

I think Kuching must promote it Muziums and River cruise or river sports, also the history of Rajah Brooke. These three can bring Kuching to greater high! Kuching must be Kuching itself!

Pepper is more famous from Sarikei, Bintangor and Sri Aman!

Posted on: 2008/8/26 20:47

Home away from home
From Terra
Still, pepper is what puts Sarawak on the culinary map, and Sri Aman and Sarikei are within easy reach of Kuching. I am amazed that some people know Sarawak through spice than through history or Malaysia.

Our museums are our heritage, as is the Brooke legacy found throughout the city. However, what we lack is funding and proper exhibition space. Sarawak has a lot of artifacts and works of art; in fact a boutique hair salon in Kuching boats its own little 'art gallery.' Yet, the Art Museum adjacent to the Sarawak Museum lacks exhibits, barely a few, barely enough to entertain and distract. The exhibits in the Sarawak Museum itself are in dire need of refurbishment, de-cluttering and reorganisation.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 22:02

Home away from home
From canada
Kuching is not & maybe never will be a tourist destination in the truest sense of the term. There is nothing that comes close to being a huge draw, certainly not your white pepper, Brooke legacy or even the orangutan, whose novelty has altogether worn thin. You need to identify and vigorously promote features that are indegenious with your city.

Tourists head for destinations that offer uniqueness, whatever they may be, cost, food, climate, transportation, accomodation.....the list goes on. And above all, they will want to leave with new experiences that they can treasure, and Kuching must hope that they will trigger return trips.

Not enuf time, resources and effort has ever been allocated by the city's tourism industry, and often times, the wrong brains are in charge. I have picked up many brochures from the M'sian consulate, and they simply DON'T excite the reader! The material is often repeats of ..... I won't go into details.

Maybe Kuching is destined to be just a casual tourist stopover for the ultra-curious, or maybe a reliable consultant(s) need to be utilized to tap whatever potentials there are for future development.

Right now, majority of tourists to M'sia stop short of making that side trip from west to east. There has to be an answer!

Posted on: 2008/8/27 9:25

Just can't stay away
From London UK
It depends on what the tourist is looing for in a destination.

I first came to Kuching because I wanted to visit 'Borneo'! I read travel books and they recommended Kuching as one of the nicest cities in Asia. So I went ahead and we came to visit. I have now been back several times and fell in love with the place.

However, it depends what you are looking for. For backpackers, it's a good stop off on a pan-Asian tour and for families it's great to see the flora and fauna but I can't see my teenage son and his friends wanting to spend too long as they are much more attracted to the bright lights of clubbing destinations in Europe.

As with any 'product' there has to be a USP and the tourist board needs to decide what that is, and market Sarawak and Kuching especially accordingly.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 15:34

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.