tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: How to boost local tourism ?
Just can't stay away
From Bau, Kuching
YOU KNOW WHAT IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM TO OUR TOURISM?

1. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DO NOT CONCERN ABOUT SARAWAK, BECAUSE FOR THEM HERE JUST A JUNGLE. THEY JUST CARE ABOUT PENINSULAR, IF THEY CARE ABOUT EAST, SABAH IS THEIR CHOICE.

2. WE NEED TO LEARN INDEPENDANT. OUR OWN STATE GOVERNMENT ALTHOUGH HAVE TRIED TO SURVIVE OUR TOURISM, BUT STILL NOT SUCCEED.

3. WRONG CONCEPT. DO NOT FOLLOW THE THEME OR CONCEPTS GIVEN BY WEST MALAYSIA---ECO-TOURISM........IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. IT JUST LIMITS OUR DEVELOPMENT.

4. SARAWAKIAN PERCEPTIONS AND THINKING. WE CAN'T THINK AS A STATE OF SARAWAK, IF SO, WE NEVER GO FAR. THINK AS A COUNTRY!!!!!!! WE CAN DO BETTER IF WE DO ANYTHING FOR SARAWAK, NOT FOR MALAYSIA.

5. PUT OUR OBJECTIVE TO TOURIST OUTSIDE MALAYSIA. WE HAVE THE UNIQUE AND GOOD PLACE TO ATTRACT THEM.

6. WE STILL HAVE A LOT OF INTERESTING PLACE TO INTRODUCE TO TOURIST. bORNEO hIGHLAND(BETTER THAN CAMERON N GENTING), SATANG ISLANDS N TALANG ISLANDS, TANJUNG DATU.....

7. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS MAKE KUCHING A METROPOLITAN, A CONCEPTS CITY LIKE BANGKOK. DON'T FOLLOW THE KL STEPS. IT JUS MAKE THE PLACE CLOWDED AND DIRTY. TRTY TO CONCERNTRATE TO A CITY, BUILD A POWERFUL CITY----kUCHING, A CITY LIKE NO OTHER.

8. MY SUGGESTION:
*KUCHING--BROOKES KINGDOM
*KUCHING--BROOKES PARADISE
*KUCHING--CITY OF NATURE
*KUCHING--CITY OF ADVENTURE
*KUCHING--CITY OF COLONIAL
*KUCHING--CITY LIKE NO OTHER
*KUCHING--LAND OF BROOKES
*KUCHING--LAND OF NATURE

9. THE STEPS TO DEVELOPE MIRI AFFECT THE DEVELOPMENT OF KUCHING. NOW KUCHING IS NOT A GATEWAY TO SARAWAK ANYMORE.

10. TRY TO APPRECIATE THE UNIQUE LAND OF RAINFOREST, THE COLONISATION OF BROOKES, MULTICULTURAL, UNIQUE BUILDING, CHURCHES AND TEMPLES(THE MOST IN MALAYSIA). WE HAVE A LOT OF SIMILARITY WITH OLD SYDNEY AND HONGKONG. WHY WE CAN'T DO IT?

LET US THINK IT PROPERLY.

DISCUSS HERE IS A GOOD WAY.

LET THE GOVERNMENT KNOW IS A BETTER WAY.

IF WE CAN COOPERATE TO DO FOR SARAWAK, IS THE BEST WAY.

SARAWAK

Posted on: 2006/10/20 14:28

Edited by Benjamin on 2006/10/20 14:44:06

Home away from home
From kuciang
wow man...Benjamin do delivers !! i agreeds on quite a numbers of suggestion. i pick Kuching as -Land Of Nature , hows that ?? eh?...

Posted on: 2006/10/20 16:48

Home away from home
From Kuching
Quote:

edwinlgk wrote:

The road down here really "SIA SOI LANG" MEMPERSIASOIKAN, MEMALUKAN, DIU LIAN, SHAME!

Hahahahahahahahaha... long time ago I spoke this in my secondary school and suprisingly it is spelt out here after 9 years.

Btw, I corrected the spelling; u missed out the "A".

And, It's true for what u say. our road quality is not as good as 10 years back tech where by they have at least 5 layers of works on the tough soil and 7 layers on the lower quality soil. Today, "Ee Tang Kiam Du Kiam, bo Mana U Ho Chiak".

Posted on: 2006/10/20 21:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Kuching
Quote:

ahfeiko wrote:
wow man...Benjamin do delivers !! i agreeds on quite a numbers of suggestion. i pick Kuching as -Land Of Nature , hows that ?? eh?...

A good one; Land of Nature. Yes, Sarawak here is a very good land of natures situated at this Khatulistiwa line of the Earth. Why don't they do more and attract tourist from this point? Ppl fly from far to relax or even explore something new, something they do not have much.

I remember back to my primary school that my teacher even said those western ppl enjoys the sun burn in our country. Years later I went to Damai and I really saw them spending their time just to get their skin to the sun burn. So it's the same thing that if you have different forest, then show them. They might be interesting to stay in the longhouse in depper jungle for days and experience the different lifestyle they would fine in their country.

At my point of view, shopping is not the best attraction because most of what we have is already what they have and even better; excluding the souviner of the culture.

Posted on: 2006/10/20 22:33

Quite a regular
From Memphis TN USA
One of Kuching’s biggest attractions is the natural beauty and accessibility to it. Thousands of people each year make the long journey from Kota Kinabalu to Sepilok just to view orangutans. You can reach the orangutans at Matang much easier but foreign tourists just don’t know about it. Driving to Matang sure beats having to fly from your hotel in KK to Sandakan and then getting a cab ride to Sepilok. You can also reach great places like Gunung Gading, Bako, Satang, Kubah, etc by just driving. The resorts and cultural village at Damai are as close or closer to Kuching as the Rasa Ria Resort is to Kota Kinabalu.

I have talked to many people interested in traveling to Malaysia. When you mention “Borneo” the only thing that comes up is Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, and Sepilok. Many of them don’t even know that Borneo also includes Sarawak. They are really shocked to find out that it’s the largest state.

Again I think it all comes down to a lack of marketing. People have to be educated that Kuching is a viable tourist destination. Kuching has enough attractions to satisfy most travelers but people don’t even know it’s an option. I can honestly say that of all the countries and cities I have been, Kuching is by far my favorite. The sad thing is, I would have never known about it if I hadn’t married a Kuching girl.

Posted on: 2006/10/21 3:52

Quite a regular
From Memphis TN USA
We also need to make sure things like this don’t happen. Even though this was in Langkawi it gives Malaysia as a whole a bad name. This incident is actually getting world wide attention now. I wonder how many people will now cancel a trip to Sabah, Sarawak, KL, or Langkawi because of it?

From the New Straits Times
link
KUALA LUMPUR: Imagine being an elderly foreign couple, awakened by a pounding on the front door in the wee hours.

Imagine being accused of khalwat despite being in your 60s and married for 42 years. Imagine being a grandmother of four and having to stand in front of men, dressed only in a sarong covering your body.

This is exactly what United States citizens Randall Barnhart, 62, and his wife Carole, 61, experienced on Oct 14 at their condominium unit in Langkawi.

It is an incident which has Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor in a huff.

Barnhart and his wife were asleep at 2am when there was pounding on the door and male voices shouting in Bahasa Malaysia.

Fearing an attack or robbery, Barnhart told the men to go away or he would call the police.

One of the voices, speaking in English, identified the group of men as Islamic Affairs Department officers and ordered him to open the door immediately.

"I positioned myself ready to fight and partly blocking the door so I could defend myself and my wife if anything were to happen.

"Then I opened the door to find six men in my face," said Barnhart.

Barnhart said the men wore blue jackets with the department’s crest on the breast pockets, with one of them producing an authority card.

He claimed there were no police officers with the six men.

Barnhart said one of the men yelled at him, asking how many people were in the apartment and said: "You are Muslim, we are coming in."

"I told them we were Christians and they were not to come in. They then demanded to inspect the apartment.

"They were threatening and aggressive. Again I said no," he said.

He said the men then demanded to see his "woman".

After another heated exchange of words, he allowed the men to see his wife. The men, he said, then demanded to see their marriage licence.

"I told them I did not have it on me and that it was none of their business. Next, they demanded to see our passports, so I showed them.

"They took down our passport numbers and noted that we were from the US. Then one said ‘thank you’ and shook my hand," he said. The men then left.

Eight hours later, he lodged a report at the Kuah police station.

Since the incident, Carole has been terrified and has insisted on going back to the United States.

The couple is in Malaysia on a six-week sailing holiday and rented the condominium unit.

Since his yacht needs repairs, he bought an air ticket to Chicago for his wife.

He also lodged a complaint with the US embassy here, which followed up with a call to Tengku Adnan’s office on Friday.

A ministry spokesman said Tengku Adnan took a serious view of the allegations.

"He has ordered the Tourism Board to look into the incident. They are to speak to the Islamic Affairs Department to get to the bottom of things.

"The minister does not like things like this happening to tourists as it spoils the country’s image," he said.

Posted on: 2006/10/23 21:37

Edited by webmaster on 2006/10/23 23:03:49

Webmaster
From Kuching
this is what we called "Bodoh". in english - "stupid"
those kinda crap cases always happen, tourist are always misjudged and mistreated for some reason and it leads to never ending problems. Headline appeared in newspaper, radio, public forums, discussion .. everywhere! then someone tries to cover it all up. *you know who*

Posted on: 2006/10/24 0:17

Just can't stay away
From Bau, Kuching
Quote:

Benjamin wrote:
YOU KNOW WHAT IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM TO OUR TOURISM?

1. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DO NOT CONCERN ABOUT SARAWAK, BECAUSE FOR THEM HERE JUST A JUNGLE. THEY JUST CARE ABOUT PENINSULAR, IF THEY CARE ABOUT EAST, SABAH IS THEIR CHOICE.

2. WE NEED TO LEARN INDEPENDANT. OUR OWN STATE GOVERNMENT ALTHOUGH HAVE TRIED TO SURVIVE OUR TOURISM, BUT STILL NOT SUCCEED.

3. WRONG CONCEPT. DO NOT FOLLOW THE THEME OR CONCEPTS GIVEN BY WEST MALAYSIA---ECO-TOURISM........IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. IT JUST LIMITS OUR DEVELOPMENT.

4. SARAWAKIAN PERCEPTIONS AND THINKING. WE CAN'T THINK AS A STATE OF SARAWAK, IF SO, WE NEVER GO FAR. THINK AS A COUNTRY!!!!!!! WE CAN DO BETTER IF WE DO ANYTHING FOR SARAWAK, NOT FOR MALAYSIA.

5. PUT OUR OBJECTIVE TO TOURIST OUTSIDE MALAYSIA. WE HAVE THE UNIQUE AND GOOD PLACE TO ATTRACT THEM.

6. WE STILL HAVE A LOT OF INTERESTING PLACE TO INTRODUCE TO TOURIST. bORNEO hIGHLAND(BETTER THAN CAMERON N GENTING), SATANG ISLANDS N TALANG ISLANDS, TANJUNG DATU.....

7. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS MAKE KUCHING A METROPOLITAN, A CONCEPTS CITY LIKE BANGKOK. DON'T FOLLOW THE KL STEPS. IT JUS MAKE THE PLACE CLOWDED AND DIRTY. TRTY TO CONCERNTRATE TO A CITY, BUILD A POWERFUL CITY----kUCHING, A CITY LIKE NO OTHER.

8. MY SUGGESTION:
*KUCHING--BROOKES KINGDOM
*KUCHING--BROOKES PARADISE
*KUCHING--CITY OF NATURE
*KUCHING--CITY OF ADVENTURE
*KUCHING--CITY OF COLONIAL
*KUCHING--CITY LIKE NO OTHER
*KUCHING--LAND OF BROOKES
*KUCHING--LAND OF NATURE

9. THE STEPS TO DEVELOPE MIRI AFFECT THE DEVELOPMENT OF KUCHING. NOW KUCHING IS NOT A GATEWAY TO SARAWAK ANYMORE.

10. TRY TO APPRECIATE THE UNIQUE LAND OF RAINFOREST, THE COLONISATION OF BROOKES, MULTICULTURAL, UNIQUE BUILDING, CHURCHES AND TEMPLES(THE MOST IN MALAYSIA). WE HAVE A LOT OF SIMILARITY WITH OLD SYDNEY AND HONGKONG. WHY WE CAN'T DO IT?

LET US THINK IT PROPERLY.

DISCUSS HERE IS A GOOD WAY.

LET THE GOVERNMENT KNOW IS A BETTER WAY.

IF WE CAN COOPERATE TO DO FOR SARAWAK, IS THE BEST WAY.

SARAWAK

Posted on: 2006/11/14 9:17

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
Quote:
... "The minister does not like things like this happening to tourists as it spoils the country’s image," he said.
Ya lo with minister like this you may ask yourself "how to boost local tourism?" No immediate action were taken, he just say he does not like. then call it a day. what can he do? Nothing... even a minister also cannot do anything or take actions, only can say "yada yada..." like a btch...

Posted on: 2006/11/14 23:58

Just popping in
From Australia
Hello,

I will be arriving as a tourist from Australia next week (Nov 23rd). Kuching is almost invisible to potential tourists in Australia. Personally, I was attracted by the opportunity to visit the Orangutan forests and the mythical Borneo jungles. When I have told my friends and business associates about my trip, they were all fascinated and think it is a wonderful and unusual place to have a holiday.

On this basis, it seems that your own tourism people have not managed to gain a high profile for your province, yet my recent experience shows that you have a very desirable location to attract tourists.

I am looking forward to visiting your country and meeting as many local people as I can. It will be nice to see the local scenery, the natural wonders you have and other physical sites like temples etc. However, when people visit me, they do not come to see my furniture or the house, they come to see the people that live in my home, myself and my family. That is also my aim, to meet the people of Kuching, yes to enjoy the other sites, but people are more interesting, we learn much more from understaning one another and making friends.

Alasdair

Posted on: 2006/11/15 11:09

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.