teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Tourism In Kuching
Home away from home
From Terra
Quote:

happytile wrote:

However, it depends what you are looking for. For backpackers, it's a good stop off on a pan-Asian tour and for families it's great to see the flora and fauna but I can't see my teenage son and his friends wanting to spend too long as they are much more attracted to the bright lights of clubbing destinations in Europe.

Too true; I love bright lights and great clubbing destinations, something our dear Kuching sorely lacks. Kuching seems more of a rest and relaxation than a more active urban destination. Culture and peace could be a draw, as a contrast for a happening nightlife and busy social scene.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 16:03

Home away from home
Tourism reps make a strong case for Sabah and Sarawak
from Malaysia Hotel News by sns
Representatives of the Sarawak and Sabah tourism boards are making a strong pitch at the three-day ITB Asia show which opened on Wednesday.

This is the first time the organisers of the show, Messe Berlin, are staging the Asian edition of their international tourism show, ITB Berlin, here.

It attracted a good turnout of Malaysian travel and tour operators.

Sarawak Tourism Board marketing manager Mary Wan Mering, who had participated in the “mother show” in Berlin, said her participation here was to gain access to the Asian travel and tour operators.

“While the ITB Berlin provides us with another platform, this Singapore event affords us an opportunity to establish new business contacts with tour operators who have not done business with Sarawak.

“I received 28 buyers on the first day and all of them expressed an interest to come to Sarawak.

“The quality of trade buyers is also good because they come here with a strong business orientation,” she told Bernama at the Suntech Exhibition Centre where the show is being held.

Zulkifli Othman, resort manager of Kuching-based Daman Beach Resort, a property owned by the Sarawak government, aimed to get maximum exposure here.

“We have been visited by travel agents, tour operators, organisers of meetings and other events.

“There were 12 solid enquiries which could easily translate into business.

“In fact, we have already secured business from an adult education school in Singapore which was interested in outdoor and team-building activities in Sarawak,” he said.

Othman said his hotel’s business, which was derived mainly from Europe, was not affected by the depreciation of the US dollar.

“The recession and the financial crisis have also not affected our business because our contracts were signed sometime back,” he said.

Sabah Tourism Board marketing manager Noredah Othman said the event provided a good base to tap business.

“This show provides us with an opportunity to establish contacts with Asian buyers who come here,” she said.

She said the response had been good and she was “fairly satisfied” with the business enquiries.

Noredah said the Sabah tourism business was doing well despite the ongoing financial crisis.

“However, it is too early to pinpoint if and to what extent there has been any adverse impact on the tourism traffic. We will know in December,” she said.

She said Sabah hoped to tap the Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions segment once the state’s convention centre was ready.

“The state’s investment arm has already made the preliminary planning of the 5,000-seat centre which will be located at the sea close to Kota Kinabalu.

“The project is expected to be completed in 2010,” she said. - BERNAMA

Posted on: 2008/11/1 19:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Anyone care to update (contribute) some info & nice photos at the following?

http://wikitravel.org/en/Kuching

Posted on: 2008/12/3 17:01

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From Kuching
Is there something wrong with our Tourism strategy. Regret to read some negative comments from tourists about kuching.....

Quote:

We then thought it was high time a visit to the piccies was due. So we watched Twilight....and blimey it were good. I mean in terms of quality of movie, script, storyline etc it was a bit on the weak side but holy monkey the lead role was hot, a hot hot vampire. So we were very happy with our choice. We took a leisurely stroll home through the streets and decided we really liked KL. By the time we got back we were pretty knacked and so grabbed a small chinatown bite (very very tasty) and popped home. We were up at 5am to get our flight from KL to Kuching (Sarawak, Borneo).

So by the time we reached Kuching we had already decided we wanted to go up towards Kota Kinabalu where all the good stuff is. Surely we should have just flown there? Yes, that would have been a great idea, but thats not what we did! So whilst at the airport we booked onto the evening KK flight and headed out for a day of Kuching fun.....unfortunately, there wasnt much fun or anything else to be had in this little quiet town. I did enjoy my first bowl of Laksi which were right good and we sat down at the waterfront for a bit. The only thing we both liked about Kuching was a lovely little gallery/cafe where they played cosy nostalgic tunesa and served lovely drinkies. So Lisa and I camped out there for a while. I ended up getting a haircut and it felt weird to have it styled and straightened again, weird indeed. We then ate and headed back to the airport for our flight.

Source

Posted on: 2008/12/22 12:03

Home away from home
From Kitty City
Wonder what has our "beloved" Deputy Minister of Tourism been doing?

Posted on: 2008/12/22 12:09

Home away from home
What were the 'good stuff' in KK he refered to?

Posted on: 2008/12/22 12:15

Home away from home
From Kitty City
Quote:

tony wrote:
What were the 'good stuff' in KK he refered to?

The way I see it:
1) Shopping haven (at least much better than Kuching)
2) Seafood haven (at least much better than Kuching)
3) Rainforest haven (may not be better than Kuching, but we are not promoting as keenly as they do)
4) Mountain-climbing haven (Mount Kinabalu?)
5) Divers' haven (Manukan and other islands nearby, etc)

Tourism in KK boomed since Chang Ka Kiat (spelling?) era, but he's no more in office, and KK is also facing a lot of other problems such as immigrant issues, poor public infrastructure and transport (transport wise, at least better than Kuching).

Posted on: 2008/12/22 12:33

Home away from home
From Terra
What is their definition of fun? You cannot possibly cater to everyone, and when someone says something good, another person will always have bad experiences. Some people say that Australia, and some Australians in general are bad and racist. In all my years I have never encountered that.

Likewise, by their admission, the writer of Mike's article admitted that Kuching is nice, albeit quiet. They didn't say that they hated Kuching, just that it was quiet. Some people may admire and enjoy museums and art galleries, but others would see it as a bore.

At least they stayed a day. My 'leisure' trip to Canberra once lasted 3 hours.

Posted on: 2008/12/22 13:21

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]