tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Anti-Virus Headache
Home away from home
From Australia
I am experiencing a very painful headache. No, I am extremely healthy, the reason that is causing the major head knock off is the Anti-Virus software.

Do you have any idea if these softwares are the culprit that slows the speed of your computer's processing?

It seems like they are taking up too much space in the Random Access Memory (RAM) that the processing light blinks constantly everytime i open a folder or something.

From what I know from Norton Antivirus software, it scans everyfile you access, thats why as soon as it detects something not right with the file, it puts eveyrthing on halt and come to you happily with the stupid report.

I got so fedup with Norton that I decided to swifted to Trend Mirco, then, it keeps me updated with the latest updates from the site, possibly once every half an hour or so, which makes my computer slower and slower each time it has to do the upgrading process.

Do you guys know anything about this anti virus softwares that is slowing down your computer?

Bugger I dont like them but can't live without them feeling safe. Tell me what you know.

ed

Posted on: 2006/1/11 23:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Anti-Virus Headache
Webmaster
From Kuching
just uninstall norton, i survived without norton for like 5 years. and my comp is still alive and kicking.

norton scan through every bits of bits you got in your comp.
download stuff, scan, startup, scan, shutdown also wan to scan, open file, scan, open email also scan. lol

after they detected virus, they give you a prompt, "Nort*n was unable to remove the infected file". then link you to nort*n website for detail information.

What i did was, install a very powerful firewall like Zonealarm pro with anti virus suite. and together with windows own firewall. and also Yahoo Anti Spyware toolbar. These 3 ought to be powerful kickass combination to keep your system up and running without deadly bugs from the internet.

Posted on: 2006/1/12 0:46

From next door
norton.far.king.hell. LOL jiet ar see norton. i got my new laptop etc and it came with norton. i hvnt installed sh.t on the laptop but just dlded the norton updates and the far.king.thing crashed my laptop like EVERYTIME i tried to shut down. was so pissed because the laptop was new and my systems hardly crash on me. ever.
i thought it might have been norton but i checked the services i enabled/disabled cos i thought i might have configured the wrong stuff to run/not run. everyth looked alright so i uninstalled norton and the laptop is good as new
=_=
norton.
far.king.hell....

LOL sorry webbie, censore me if u need to

Posted on: 2006/1/12 2:14

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
Never noticed nor experienced any performance hits or problems with Norton.

Also, I heard that it's best to have only one firewall active in your computer. Having two or more is like what they say, too many cooks spoil the broth. Can't remember why, I know I read in in the Borneo Post sometime ago.

Posted on: 2006/1/12 3:21

Home away from home
From Australia
9 out of 10 Norton users (my friends) experienced the same scenarios, crashed.

Out of the 10, 1 claimed they work wonderfully and they constantly update the virus definition on the Norton website.

Processors are getting faster, but the anti-virus software are slowing them down, again..... this is so boring.

Posted on: 2006/1/12 11:02

Norton's antivirus system is no doubt one of the best in the market, we often have jokes about norton is like CIA, FBI and Interpol combined. Soo effective(if you update the definitions) and soo rigid.

It's true that it slows down the processing in your PC, cause it runs real time, it also scan every packets going in and out of your computer(i think) cause I realise my internet gaming speed lags a bit when norton is running.

I've been using Norton for many years, never been infected even once by any viruses/worms.

I have norton, ad-aware SE personal and SPYbot in my PC, which I often run after 2-3 days.

Some says AVG is good, its small and it works too. Also the Yahoo Antispyware does its job too.

Sigh... too many choices to choose eh.

Posted on: 2006/1/12 11:13

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
Yeah, Norton works wonderfully for me too, updates constantly.

Posted on: 2006/1/12 15:45

Webmaster
From Kuching
Thank you Norton for making my comp unbootable
Thank you Norton for making my system crash upon startup
Thank you Norton and now i will uninstall you.

Thank you f@$!@#ng norton for DELETING MY WINDOWS SYSTEM FILES upon uninstall and Now my comp can't boot up because of you.

Thank you Norton for wasting my time 18 hours for trying to restore the comp's data and software.

Conclusion:
As for my experience, you can use any software in the internet but not Nort*n. You don't have to put up with all the crap Nort*n does to your comp. All the scannings are just crap.

Try other softwares and you will know that Nort*n is just another name for crap.

Posted on: 2006/2/27 2:29

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
Now that is indeed surprising. Norton has worked really well for me ever since I got my first computer way back in 1999, I've never been infected by any viruses in all of the computer systems I've used since then and it has worked flawlessly in Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP.

Posted on: 2006/2/27 4:15

Webmaster
From Kuching
yes i know that and few others claimed that. For normal and soft users norton is ok lah.

unfortunately, i have high expectation for a pc to work. i have lots of software installed. once i started working, i need to open up like 6 applications stimultaneously. Basicly it does alot of processing. I need my comp to shutdown and startup very fast.

I may make the comp more functional like installing 2 Operating system at a time. but norton doesn't fkng allow that. There are lots of stuff norton doesn't allow and you don't know about it.

heh anyway. get zone alarm security suite ! the best security software for your comp. apart from "norton"

Posted on: 2006/2/27 8:11

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.