tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Martial Arts in Kuching
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
I'm interested to know what kind of martial arts training is available in Kuching. Especially the more unique ones and also weapon related ones. Information like that doesn't appear much on the web or in the Yellowpages, hehe .

On a side note, I'm also wondering if there is anybody interested in learning Iaido? In a nutshell, its the art of the Japanese sword called a 'Katana' and the concepts of Bushido. Don't get it mixed up with Kendo. They are related, but Iaido can be summarized as... something like Tai Chi with a Katana. Whereas in Kendo, you wear armor and bash each other with Bamboo swords. Iaido has no contact whatsoever. But you do get to learn sword 'cutting' when you reach advanced levels.

Posted on: 2006/7/12 9:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Martial Arts in Kuching
Webmaster
From Kuching
as far as i know, kuching are lack of unique martial art sifu.

Martial art available in Kuching.

Wushu, which consist of other kung fu like crane, monkey and all sorts of art and pattern. they also have weapon art.

then there is Taekwondo that only uses hand and feet. sparring, and breaking and patterns.

There are Judo and Karate, but I don't know where they are taught mainly.

Posted on: 2006/7/12 9:45

Home away from home
From Kuching
Last time there used to be "Sarawak Sakukai Wadoryu Karate Association". They have their practise twice a week at Kompleks Belia & Sukan Negeri Sarawak. Now I'm not sure whether it is going on or not. Iaido sounds interesting. Izzit too late for someone nearly 30 learning martial arts?

Posted on: 2006/7/12 12:59

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Not at all!

When i was still in NZ I once had to teach a 70+ year old man the basics in Kung Fu. And what's more I think he had severe arthtitis cause he kept shaking everytime he had to throw a punch or kick.

He lasted about 3 months before he switched to Tai Chi, but you gotta admire the determination!

I consider 30+ still young enough to pick up martial arts. And the style you choose depends on your fitness and flexibility, and what u wanna achieve out of it.

Posted on: 2006/7/12 13:31

Webmaster
From Kuching
wat u teach?

Posted on: 2006/7/12 14:29

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
I was assistant instructor in a kung fu translated into "Chan Style Kung fu". Its a modern form created by the man I was learning under. But that was a long time ago. I don't really practise it anymore.

I'm now thinking about starting an Iaido Club here. And the reason its an Iaido Club and not a sch is because I'm not a qualified instructor . I haven't been training for over a yr now, but I'd like to continue, and it'd be more fun to have some ppl train with me.

Benefits of the club would be that it can be affliated with the head organisations in Australia and Japan, and Masters can be invited maybe once a year to conduct seminars. Either that or trips can be organised to go there and train and get graded.

Anyway its all speculation. I'm just seeing if anyone is interested

www.hokushin.com.au for more info.

Posted on: 2006/7/12 15:13

Webmaster
From Kuching
got get yourself to become a qualified instructor while you still can and while you still in NZ. I am sure there the people are interested in new martial arts.

i am interested in this Uechi-Ryu Karate
wikipedia

Posted on: 2006/7/12 15:32

Martial Art - Jeet Kune Do (截拳道)
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Hi, where to learn Uechi-Ryu Karate ? I am interested !!!... Let me know if there is a class...

Oh anyone here interested in learning Jeet Kune Do ? You can learn it online...

http://www.world-jkd.com/jkdschool/jbgxl.htm

Jeet Kune Do is the way of the intercepting fist (foot, kick, elbow, knee, etc, whatever scores). It is an art bound by no style and one that can adapt to any style or method.

Jeet Kune Do is the total cultivation of the martial spirit, which uses no way as the way, and no limit as limit.

Jeet Kune Do is non-traditional, ever changing, and ever flowing. It is simple, direct, and effective without wasted motion or unnecessary movements.

Posted on: 2006/7/13 2:47

Re: Martial Art - Jeet Kune Do (截拳道)
Home away from home
From Kuching
I'm still interested to learn karate. If anyone of you joining, I might want to consider too. I missed the sparring session.

Posted on: 2006/7/13 11:19

Re: Martial Art - Jeet Kune Do (截拳道)
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Wow, that Uechi-ryu karate is hardcore stuff! That's a classic old school stye of martial arts that focuses alot on body conditioning. To be able to take that kind of punishment as shown on the video, you need to start really young and train really hard. To do that when u're older is gonna do some serious damage to your body rather than good.

If you go to the traditional Taekwondo schs in Korea, they do this kind of conditioning as well.

Times are different now. We're not in any 'dark-age' wars anymore so modern styles of martial arts focus more on street-defense that can be learned and adapted by anyone. Jeet Kune Do is one such example.

I was into the hardcore stuff when I was younger, but now at the ripe age of 26, I've mellowed down and become lazy. No more flashy kicks and board breaking for me! I'm trained more in modern styles, which I find alot less tiring on the body and more effective in todays world too. Except weapons! I am fascinated with traditional weapons and I have a small collection.

Granted Katanas are not much use today and don't stand a chance agaisnt a pistol... but its nice to play samurai once in awhile .

Posted on: 2006/7/13 15:13

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.