Home away from home
From Kuchingite
Looks painful.

Posted on: 2006/7/15 11:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Martial Arts in Kuching
Just can't stay away
From San Diego
Got 3-dan in kendo here. Anywhere in Kuching that offers kendo classes with preparation for exam? I'm so out of it, though.

I also have interest in fencing (as in the Western style fencing).. but the last time I checked there's no place in Kuching that offers lessons for it.

Posted on: 2007/11/27 22:47

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Wow dude, with a 3rd dan in Kendo, u can start your own club here. I only reached to 4th Kyu. Unfortunately I can't continue cause got no classes here.

I have a 1st Dan in Iaido. I did contemplate starting a club here...

Posted on: 2007/11/28 8:56

Just can't stay away
From San Diego
I started young to like bashing people up with sticks, that's why. ;P

Posted on: 2007/11/28 9:18

Home away from home
From kuciang
Quote:

TeQuiLa wrote:
I'm interested to know what kind of martial arts training is available in Kuching. Especially the more unique ones and also weapon related ones. Information like that doesn't appear much on the web or in the Yellowpages, hehe .

On a side note, I'm also wondering if there is anybody interested in learning Iaido? In a nutshell, its the art of the Japanese sword called a 'Katana' and the concepts of Bushido. Don't get it mixed up with Kendo. They are related, but Iaido can be summarized as... something like Tai Chi with a Katana. Whereas in Kendo, you wear armor and bash each other with Bamboo swords. Iaido has no contact whatsoever. But you do get to learn sword 'cutting' when you reach advanced levels.
i think in Iaido,the sword training session is done with a boken(wooden sword),but mind you - the boken can break bones too.. what kind of martial art or exercise for me,at 44 years of age?

Posted on: 2007/11/29 14:59

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Quote:

ahfeiko wrote:

i think in Iaido,the sword training session is done with a boken(wooden sword),but mind you - the boken can break bones too.. what kind of martial art or exercise for me,at 44 years of age?

When you start out in Iaido, you usually start with a wooden bokken or a plastic bokken. After a few months you advance into steel katanas that aren't sharpened - these are called Iaito.

Its a very safe martial art cause like I said, it resembles Taichi with a sword and you mainly do solo patterns. So chances of injuries are quite low.

It depends on how fit and flexible you are at your age now. You can pick up any martial art you wan really....

But if you looking for low-impact styles you can try Taichi (most obvious). If you wan abit more high impact than Taichi, try Wing-chun or Aikido. Even Taekwondo and Karate is still doable at 44...

Posted on: 2007/11/29 15:53

Just popping in
all i know is there are aikido, taekwondo, hapkido, wushu, karate(opening soon near matang i think). Got soo bahk do club at swinburne(not sure if they got training outside of the college)

That's all i know

Posted on: 2008/8/4 12:26

Home away from home
From Kch
I dunno... I'm not comfortable with physical grappling, so I thought something like kendo would be nice. But it doesn't seem very practical as self-defense in real life, does it? It would mean having a bokken or an umbrella with you at all times...

Posted on: 2008/8/4 13:04
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman

Just popping in
surely kendo teaches how to avoid attacks. maybe is possible to apply it to punches or kicks. avoid and run!!!

Posted on: 2008/8/4 22:12

Home away from home
From Terra
I love fencing; epee is my forte, foil my passion and sabre my bain, but sadly, the only fencing place in all of Malaysia is in KL, somewhere in Mont' Kiara. Kuching never had one and even if someone did open shop, little exposure and the fact so few people know what fencing is would make it extremely unprofitable and potentially unsuccessful.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 23:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]