tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Reorganize website
Webmaster
From Kuching
I am thinking to reorganize this website.
maybe changing the layout a little and adding more contents.

So before I start, I want to hear your suggestions and ideas.
how i can organize the site better and how should i organise.

I am thinking to move the forum block down abit and the news to the top page. and also thinking to span the page a little wider. I will not change the site's colors.

Anything at all. flood me with ideas.

Posted on: 2006/8/17 17:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Reorganize website
Home away from home
From Kuching
I would still prefer to have the forum block in the original place coz the main thing we do here is to take part in forum..forum first then baru news..kekeke..

Posted on: 2006/8/17 17:18

1) Forum to be the main focus, make it user friendly.
2) Remove the Top Posters column and reduce size for the New Members.
3) Split the website to categories, eg. Forum as one, and Kuching Travel information as one
4) No need to have weblogs, but instead make an Article like for users to post their experiences, make it more travel like. Eg. Have categories, so many users can post articles for a place like Disiniland, etc etc (I hope u know what I mean)
5) Create competition, get local sponsors and have their advert in the website. Even a small prize will attract lots of visitors and will make sponsors happy.
6) Appoint trusted local moderators for certain thread/categories especially the articles cause someone has to edit once its posted for spellings etc etc.
7) Try to get more members participation, merrier that way but more headache for webbie.

Posted on: 2006/8/17 19:35

Home away from home
From Australia
Good that you are thinking of reorganizing the site!

-It is important that you expand the width of the current size limit.

- I don't know how are you going to do this, but I think you should make it as simple to navigate as possible. Eg. 'Home' should only show the latest news on the top of the page, but just highlights of the contents, add 'click to read full article' and then link it to a page in the forum, all other comments and suggestions can be reply in that same page of the forum.

- Reorganize the sub-forums, the main page for the forum should contain as little sub-forum titles as possible. Some of the sub-forums at the current state are totally unneccessary, such as travels etc can all be put under Kuching topics altogether. If there should be any sub-forums, you can pile them up in the main sub-forum.

- Remove the 'Kuching travel' navigator out of the forum and put it somewhere else

Posted on: 2006/8/17 20:56

Webmaster
From Kuching
heh thanks for the reply.

the kuching travel navigator has to be on the front page. or somewhere obvious. you might get bored with it but i put it there because the site's is "Kuching Travel Information Site".

I will stretch the page accordingly to see how things go.

yea the forum is organised badly. i know that. Its original and I didn't copy the topic and category from other sites. So I think its time to review it and see what I can do.

I am planning to move the weblog content also. The section doesn't seem to blend in to the site very much.

thanks for the suggestion and Keep'em coming !

Posted on: 2006/8/17 22:23

Home away from home
From Kuching
I agree with sunfire...since (from what i see) there is not much activity in weblog might as well make it into something else. How about adding some more colours to the website?

erm..Forum is a bit messy sometimes when I want to search some old topics have to browse through so many of them, maybe should have less sub-topics. How about putting the event calendar into something like the Kuching Travel err... a frame if i am not mistaken for the monthly events happening?

Posted on: 2006/8/17 22:34

Home away from home
From Australia
the most annoying thing at the moment, after the transfer to new servers, all forums have limited viewing default set as 'an hour ago', will not consider the hestitation to click and select all time just to view available topics. What happened?

As for categorising the forums and sub-forums, it takes time and research and I think the current subforums for Trading Zone is unnecessary, might as well group everything up under one section, if necessary to put up category, simple eg: Land & Properties, Electronics, Automotive, General Sales. Four is enough.

Instead of a seperate sub forums for Job Search, you can add in under one sub-forum which is 'Looking For?'

'Generals' should be a little longer, from 'General Discussion/Talk' , 'Funny' , 'Videos' etc

All movies, music, games, etc Should be categorised under 'Entertainments'

that's about it which I can think of at the moment

Posted on: 2006/8/17 23:27

Home away from home
From Australia
Sorry, I think I better do a proper reference to what I am saying while referring to the main page of the forum. Here is my proposal:

Here are the categories that you will need(sorted out in order):

1. "All about Kuching"
- 'Kuching Talk' : eliminate 'Kuching Today' they are relevant to 'Kuching Talk' eventually
- 'Tourism Directory' : replacing 'Tourism Talk' and 'Festivals and Special Occasion'
- 'Kuching Festival' : Discuss Festivals in Kuching, eliminate 'PC Fair', they can be pinned under 'Kch Fest' sub-forum
- 'Kuching Events' : Different from 'Kch Fest', this one is to discuss any other events other than the Kch Fest.
- 'Food and Beverages' - all foods and drinks from Kch or Sarawak only

2. "Generals"
- 'General Discussion' - everything can be discussed
- 'Member's Lounge' - eliminate all sub-forum and just use only one sub-forum, eliminate 'Social Life' can be grouped here
- 'Backstage' : interesting concept, so I guess it should deserve it's special space here :)

3. "Catscity Agenda"
- 'Site Announcement'
- 'Gathering and meetups'
- 'Miscellaneous Suppoer' - pinned 'Request Info' , 'Read and Reply', eliminate 'Catscity website' to be replaced by 'Site Announcement' itself

4. "Entertainments"
- 'Movies'
- 'Music' - eliminate 'Music Events and Local Happenings' can be pinned under 'Kuching Events'
- 'Tech Talk' - eliminate 'technology' forum category
- 'Computers and Stuffs' - since Tech Talk is too broad, 'Comp and Stuffs' needs it's own sub-forum, elminate 'Operating System' or can be pinned under 'Coms and Stuffs'
- 'Mobile Phones' - elminate 'Ringtones' and '3gp Videos' can be pinned under the this sub-forum
- 'Games' - group all games into this sub-forum, eliminate 'forum games'
- 'Sports' - sports discussion only

5. "Funny/Humour"
- 'Funny Videos' - eliminate 'Flash' can be pinned under computer
- 'Funny sites and stories'
- 'Weird News' - or can be pinned under 'Funny Sites'

6. "Special Interest and Hobbies"
- 'Automotive' - eliminate 'Kuching Roads and Traffics' can be pinned under 'Kch Talk'
- 'Photography'
- 'Pets'
- 'Personal Hobbies' - elminate 'Music' no purpose and can be categorised under this sub-forum as well

7. "Trades"
- 'Automotive'
- 'Electronics' - all computer and other electronics
- 'Photography' - only photography equipments or photography related sales
- 'Land & Properties'
- 'General sales'
- 'Searching for?' - all looking for transactions, elminate 'Job Search' can be pinned under 'Kch Talk' or depends, if there are a lot of jobs offer from outside kuching, maybe just pinned it under this sub-forum

That's about it, I have bascially cut down from the messy 16 categoris, down to only a list of proper 7 categories, and I have arranged all the sub-forums and placed them under their selected categories.

Hope this helps :) I learnt from my past experience runing my own forum

Posted on: 2006/8/18 0:04

Home away from home
From Australia
Bugger, cannot edit again :(

I think you can delete no.5 'Funny and Humour' sub them under the 'Entertainments' category, so delete all the 'funny videos', 'funny sites and stories' and 'weird news', hence, everything can be created under the 'Funny and Humour' sub-forum as long as it is funny :) and most 'weird news' are funny anyway.

Posted on: 2006/8/18 0:09

Home away from home
From Australia
took me half and hour of Research and Development to come up with the proposal, hope you give some consideration and put in some care factor to look at it :)

Posted on: 2006/8/18 0:12

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.