teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Cabinet overturns police move on traffic fines
Webmaster
From Kuching
Quote:
Cabinet overturns police move on traffic fines
The Cabinet has made an about-turn on the lowering of traffic fines as it is felt that the move may not send the right message to road-users and will not deter them from committing traffic offences.
full news

Headline today on The star's newspaper stated the Cabinet are against the police on their move to lower the traffic fines. The law was suppose to be "immediate effect"

but then the cabinet ppl are against it.
Reduction of traffic fines postponed

Chan: Surprised over move to reduce traffic fines

What do you guys think? Do you think by loweing traffic fines, it will bring more bad or good?

Reference: the star
The following is a list of the new compound rates (old rates in brackets):

Accidents not involving non-compoundable cases

Lorry/bus - RM200 (RM300)
4WD/Car/Taxi/Van - RM150 (RM300)
Motorcycle - RM100 (RM300)
Speeding

Lorry/bus - RM90 (RM150)
4WD/Car/Taxi/Van - RM70 (RM150)
Motorcycle - RM50 (RM150)
Not using seatbelt

Taxi - RM50 (RM150)
Van - RM50 (RM80)
4WD/Car - RM50 (RM70)
Not using helmet

Motorcycle - RM30 (RM70)
Making an illegal U-turn

Lorry/bus - RM90 (RM200)
4WD/Car/Taxi/Van - RM70 (RM100)
Motorcycle - RM50 (RM70)
Overtaking in a dangerous manner/Cutting queue

Lorry/bus - RM90 (RM200)
Motorcycle - RM50 (RM70)
Running a red light

Lorry/bus - unchanged (RM200)
4WD/Car/Taxi/Van - RM150 (RM200)
Motorcycle - RM100 (RM150)
Using a cellphone while driving

Lorry/bus - RM90 (RM200)
Motorcycle - RM50 (RM70)
Not giving way before turning

Lorry/bus - RM90 (RM200)
Motorcycle - RM50 (RM70)
Driving license-related offences

Lorry/bus - RM90 (RM150)
4WD/Car/Taxi/Van - RM70 (RM80)
Motorcycle - RM30 (RM70)
Road tax-related offences

Lorry/bus - RM90 (RM150)
4WD/Car/Taxi/Van - RM70 (RM80)
Motorcycle - RM30 (RM50)
Driving in an emergency lane

Lorry/bus - RM90 (RM200)
Motorcycle - RM50 (RM70)

Posted on: 2006/9/7 10:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Cabinet overturns police move on traffic fines
Home away from home
From Australia
It will bring in more good. Why? Improve the wealth of the people.

Imposing high fines does not have any effects on reducing traffic offences, when people have no courtesy to obey the law, they don't.

Lowering the fines does not have any effect either, lowering the fines will not encourage anyone to think "oh yeah, I'll get penalised less now, so I will break the law", that does not impose.

If, removing the traffic laws were done, it could have effects, a huge one.

When the Cabinets were against the new policy, it is either, their fear that the Transport Department will received lower income revenue from traffic offenders that pay their fines, or, again, they will scrap less money from all of you.

Again, it is about the money to them, nothing else matters.

Posted on: 2006/9/7 10:44

Home away from home
From Kuching lah
if the fines are left at a high rate, wont that lower the rate of motorists disobeying the law? even if its a bit, i dont think they would want to pay that kinda amount all the time..

Posted on: 2006/9/7 11:55

Home away from home
From Australia
and what makes you think that leaving the fines as it is will lower the rate of motorist disobeying the law?

from your opinions, if I guess it right, you are trying to say that, if they lower the fine rates, then the chances of increasing traffic offenders would increase?

I dont think that will happen, like I said, as long as the laws are still there, no matter what the fines are, there will be traffic offenders.

How many times have you (if you are one of thos traffic offenders), stop and think about the amount of fines that you have to pay, if you are going to break the law, before you go one and commit the action?

Those who is and are going to commit traffic offenses, they will not stop and think about the amount they have to pay before they decide if they wish to commit the offence or not.

Can you please elaborate more on your information? I dont want to get the wrong information from what you had just said, and then leading to another 'edgar creates trouble again' situation.

Posted on: 2006/9/7 12:03

Home away from home
From Kuching lah
Quote:

edgar wrote:
and what makes you think that leaving the fines as it is will lower the rate of motorist disobeying the law?

from your opinions, if I guess it right, you are trying to say that, if they lower the fine rates, then the chances of increasing traffic offenders would increase?

I dont think that will happen, like I said, as long as the laws are still there, no matter what the fines are, there will be traffic offenders.

How many times have you (if you are one of thos traffic offenders), stop and think about the amount of fines that you have to pay, if you are going to break the law, before you go one and commit the action?

Those who is and are going to commit traffic offenses, they will not stop and think about the amount they have to pay before they decide if they wish to commit the offence or not.

Can you please elaborate more on your information? I dont want to get the wrong information from what you had just said, and then leading to another 'edgar creates trouble again' situation.

whatever you say man. wouldnt want to start you neither, so have a nice day.

Posted on: 2006/9/7 12:05

Home away from home
From Australia
oh common mate, don't stop.

I just want to hear what have you got in mind on why you said so. As what you had said in that 2 lines isnt enough to support your arguement.

I would like to learn more on why do you think by maintaining the current fees rate would lower the rate of motorists disobeying the law.

you didnt start anything with me, I just wish you could elaborate more, otherwise, people think I am a smartarse commenting and arguing with everybody's opinion when I am not.

The reason why I commented on your reply is because you havent got enough support, you wrote a basic 2 sentences and try to basically sums everything up, how am I suppose to understand? and when I misunderstood, there goes another fight post between me and the rest of you guys

Posted on: 2006/9/7 12:18

Edited by webmaster on 2006/9/7 13:43:20

Webmaster
From Kuching
I believe the options bottom as the penalty will solve the problems

Traffic offenders options:
- pay high traffic fines
- x hour of community service
- prison
- take the case to court for judgement

Posted on: 2006/9/7 13:24

Home away from home
From Australia
doing community services sounds alright, but depends on what kind of offence do you make. I dont think anybody would like to do that just because they got caught for forgetting to put on seatbelts

Posted on: 2006/9/7 13:56

Webmaster
From Kuching
Quote:

edgar wrote:
doing community services sounds alright, but depends on what kind of offence do you make. I dont think anybody would like to do that just because they got caught for forgetting to put on seatbelts

Do something memorable for their mistake. community service. That would benefit all sides. It can save the traffic offender some money and teach him a lesson. When the work on his penalty, he helped the community. this is a "green and healthy penalty".

If you are penalised to pay RM300 for not wearing your seatbelt, then you get pissed and don't wish to pay. Then the police will increase your penalty for not paying in a duration of time. Then you get even more pissed. The police will then have you arrest you. Then you go mad and resist. When there is nothing you can do, you ended up pay the fines and after that you will never like how they govern the law and regulations.

That concludes, problematic law and most people will not be happy about it. It cause trouble for the police to enforce the law, more trouble and headache for the traffic offender. Unhappy citizen creates problem for the government that sums up the story.

and on today's news

Quote:

Dept: Fines decision right move

KUCHING: The Cabinet has taken the right step in deferring the move by the police to reduce traffic fines despite the mixed reactions, including from MPs, said the Road Safety Department.

Its director-general Suret Singh said the decision would serve as a clear warning to reckless and irresponsible motorists that the Government was serious in reducing road accidents.

“I’m glad that we have taken a tough stance on this. The question of reducing the financial burden of the people does not arise at all,” he told newsmen at a road safety campaign here yesterday.

He said that law-abiding motorists should not be disappointed with the Cabinet decision because the Government’s intention was not to make profits but to encourage responsible road use.

He added that deterrent sentences for serious traffic offences was one of the ways to cut down reckless driving in the country, and that included hefty fines.

On Monday, the police announced reductions in traffic fines of between 50% and 70% for various offences, including speeding, driving without a licence and beating red lights, in a move to discourage Malaysians from trying to bribe traffic cops to escape hefty fines.

But two days later, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said the Cabinet had decided to defer the move on the grounds that the fines imposed on traffic offenders were meant to be a deterrent and not as a source of income for the Government. – Bernama

The Star - Resource

Posted on: 2006/9/9 12:54

Home away from home
From canada
All proposals discussed here will never mitigate, let alone solve the problem of traffic violations. Offenders more often than not will repeat their disregard for law & order. It's part of human nature. The best & maybe the more effective method is what's called....THE 3 STIKES LAW, which means you're out on your 3rd conviction. Execution is probably the extreme, but the ROTAN as incarceration will more than likely scare the shit out of the perennial BAD drivers! Stubborness can only be counter-acted with discipline, or they'll never learn.

Posted on: 2006/9/9 13:54

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.