Re: Sony's New DSLR
Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
Sony Alpha Promo

RM 2,999 : Body ONLY
RM 3,499 : Body + 18-70mm
RM 4,499 : Body + 18-70mm + 75-300mm

*dats online price, offline & cash should be cheaper still*

Canon & Nikon would be a better choice as there are more community support (technical aspects & opinions on accessories). Thats playing safe, but if u would like to give the A100 a try, by all means.

Posted on: 2006/10/13 19:32

Just popping in
From Kuching
Tried the A100 recently....personally didn't like it. Too plasticky and the kit lens felt rough when focussing and zooming. Call me anal but I also didn't like the fact that there is no status LCD on the top of the grip.

But it has a lot of features for the price.....worth looking at. And Sony didn't do the stupid thing of making it Memory Stick dependant.....that'd have been marketing suicide!

Posted on: 2006/10/30 17:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Australia
can anyone explain how the Supersteady function actually works? I mean, is there any compromise to quality when the function is activated?

Posted on: 2006/10/30 19:44

Just popping in
From Kuching
SuperSteadyShot is the same as Nikon's Vibration Reduction and Canon's Image Stabiliser. Basically it's to help reduce the effects of camera shake while using the camera handheld.

Sony's system is built into the body itself as opposed to Nikon and Canon (and other brands), where it's built into some of their lenses.

It should help you take blur-free photos and not compromise any optical quality at all. But do note that most brands recommend that you turn off the stabiliser when the camera is mounted on a tripod, since it's already a stable platform.

Posted on: 2006/10/30 19:54

Quite a regular
From not so far from home
SuperSteadyShot is a bit different from Canon or Nikon VR. Both Canon and Nikon is using Optical stabilization. Mean that the stabilization is in the lens itself.

Sony SuperSteadyShot is come from Konica Minolta when they purchase it DSLR division. How it function is that they move the CCD sensor to compensate the Vibration. Therefore, the benifit of this is that all the lens mount to Sony DSLR will have this function. Where as Canon and Nikon need to buy the VERY expensive lens to have this function.

Off course, the down side of Sony SuperSteadyShot is that what you see in the view finder will not have the SuperSteadyShot effect. And some argue that the optical stabilization work better. But I don't know as I never use it before.

Posted on: 2006/10/30 20:23

Just popping in
From Kuching
Honestly, I don't think that a body-based CCD shift system works as well as a lens-mounted system.

Just try out the AFS 18-200mm VRII DX lens for Nikon and you might be impressed. Easily 3-stops of effective stabilisation.

By the way, Sony already used SuperSteadyShot in its camcorders long before they bought out KonicaMinolta's camera division. The SSS on the A100 is supposed to be an improvement of KM's CCD-shif t system.

Posted on: 2006/10/30 20:36

Quite a regular
Sony just name it the same so that not to lost face. You know what they used in Camcoder, digital stablelize!, mean the they use DSP to make the image not so blur.

The only other company to use similar technology is Pentax.

Posted on: 2006/10/30 21:02

Just popping in
From Kuching
I find Pentax's new offerings far more interesting than Sony's.

The K10D is due soon and it'd be really interesting to see how it performs especially at the supposed price range. Heck, with a range of new lenses coming out soon, I'm actually quite tempted....

Ah yes, Sony's previous SSS was just mere digital-foolery, my bad.

Posted on: 2006/10/30 21:11

Quite a regular
Yes, I would agree that Pentax seem quite tempting. They will price much low than Sony. But not sure how is the image quality, will be as good as Canon or Nikon, or just as noisy as Sony.

Posted on: 2006/10/30 21:14

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.