tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Best DSLR for beginner
Home away from home
From Kuching
What is the best one right now guys? There are so many... from affordable entry level (though a bit lacking) to eye-widening WOAH (RM16,000?!) machines.

Say it's for a guy who's just starting out in this hobby and he has no idea how to use the plethora of buttons, nor is he sure he's going to like the hobby, only that it fascinates him from this angle.

What do you suggest?

Posted on: 2006/12/5 12:34

Re: Best DSLR for beginner
Webmaster
From Kuching
Hmmm how much is the budget?

Entry level...
Sony's SLR is usually labeled as "entry level slr".
I don't quite understand why though. Sony Alpha can be a good choice.

Those students for graphic designs and art usually would get the Olympus SLR bundle. Olympus Evolt E330 and E500. Its affordable and its good.

Nikon D40 has the basic and standard functions of a SLR. thats the latest model of Nikon slr but not the best. It should cost around RM2300 if not mistaken. Not sure if its available in Malaysia yet.

For canon, i duno. let the canon fans do the recommendation.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 13:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Australia
If it is for that 'guy', I would say just get him a good prosumer camera, such as the Sony Cybershot, Canon Powershot, Kodak Z-series, all etc which has all the manual settings. DSLR would be a too expensive investment for someone who with no assurance.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 14:10

Home away from home
From Kuching
There's one by Pentax (forgot model name) that was recommended in Sounds and Pictures magazine (this month) as being quite perfect for a first time DSLR owner.

What do you think about that?

As for budget... nothing over the top, best bang for the buck, things like that. Probably around RM2k?

Are those extra lens and accessories really necessary?

Posted on: 2006/12/5 14:11

Home away from home
From Australia
Whether or not it is necessary depends on the 'guy' if he wants to venture deeper into photography or does he want to pursue his interest in learning more about photography and experiencing other unique methods.

Like I said, if there is no assurance from the 'guy' get a prosumer camera which is more affordable, don't jump straight into DSLR because DSLR is more of a one-off investment. Most DSLR owners (there are some exeptions) buy one DSLR and they stick with it for many years to come. The only time they will change to another DSLR is when their old model is so old new features will bump it off.

DSLR is an investment, if you want to go to that territory, go for a proper recognised DSLR. Don't go for entry level DSLR etc, there is no such thing as entry level DSLR because if you are thinking of getting an entry level DSLR might as well get the cheaper version of high-level prosumer camera which has similar functions except the ability to swtich lenses.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 14:22

Webmaster
From Kuching
Quote:

Luxferi wrote:
There's one by Pentax (forgot model name) that was recommended in Sounds and Pictures magazine (this month) as being quite perfect for a first time DSLR owner.

What do you think about that?

As for budget... nothing over the top, best bang for the buck, things like that. Probably around RM2k?

Are those extra lens and accessories really necessary?

Lol. 2k kenot kenot !
1st you get SLR body+ kit lens : RM2k++. Then after you play around with it, you will find the limitations, then you will get another lens. You will get lens filters. Then a anti-moist cabinet to protect all your investment. Then you will get more and more accesories. Once you get hold of an slr, you will never stop getting more accesories in order to capture your dream photos. Its very very very tempting.

like someone mentioned b4 in the forum, "Its not a cheap hobby"

Posted on: 2006/12/5 15:12

Home away from home
From Kuching
Quote:

edgar:

Whether or not it is necessary depends on the 'guy' if he wants to venture deeper into photography or does he want to pursue his interest in learning more about photography and experiencing other unique methods.

Like I said, if there is no assurance from the 'guy' get a prosumer camera which is more affordable, don't jump straight into DSLR because DSLR is more of a one-off investment. Most DSLR owners (there are some exeptions) buy one DSLR and they stick with it for many years to come. The only time they will change to another DSLR is when their old model is so old new features will bump it off.

DSLR is an investment, if you want to go to that territory, go for a proper recognised DSLR. Don't go for entry level DSLR etc, there is no such thing as entry level DSLR because if you are thinking of getting an entry level DSLR might as well get the cheaper version of high-level prosumer camera which has similar functions except the ability to swtich lenses.

Posted on: Today 14:22:28

How come you use ' ' for guy one? it's not a metaphorical guy... it's a real guy. *lol* Anyway, I don't know anything about those high end cameras so of course when you said high level prosumer and DSLR, I wouldn't know the difference. Like I said, he's beginner, I'm beginner also.

In fact I use point and shoot nia... *lol*!

As for him, he doesn't know if he's going to like this or not, so I guess it's a better idea like you said to go for high level prosumer. Mind tell me what's the difference between prosumer and DSLR? You said they're both similar except the ability to switch lenses... is that all? What are the prosumer's weaknesses then?

Quote:

Webmaster:
Lol. 2k kenot kenot !
1st you get SLR body+ kit lens : RM2k++. Then after you play around with it, you will find the limitations, then you will get another lens. You will get lens filters. Then a anti-moist cabinet to protect all your investment. Then you will get more and more accesories. Once you get hold of an slr, you will never stop getting more accesories in order to capture your dream photos. Its very very very tempting.

like someone mentioned b4 in the forum, "Its not a cheap hobby"

*lol* wah lau... yeah, you're right... edgar gave the suggestion of prosumer... what's your opinion? Should I get a prosumer or get an entry level one?

The thing is I have no idea what are the differences! :D

Posted on: 2006/12/5 18:03

Webmaster
From Kuching
Prosumer camera is bulky. Prosumer means professional consumers.

Best idea is to show you the example.

Prosumers Camera:
Canon S2,S3
FujiFine pix S5200, S9000
Sony Cybershot DSC-H5/B
Sony Cybershot DSC-R1
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2

make a search of it and see the details. compare it to compact cameras. Usually compact cam only like 3x optical zoom. prosumer can extend to 12x optical zoom. ...etcetc...etc..

from what i know, prosumer camera has similiar functions of an SLR, except that most of it is digital. The shape is also similiar to an SLR. It tries to mimic the capability of an SLR but certainly there are limitations compare to a real SLR. For prosumers cam, you don't need to change lens and all that. Its all in one. .

For most people, they will get an prosumer 1st, then after like less than a year of using it, they will slowly find the limitations. After being annoyed by the limitations, then they go for SLR.

For you, I think you will not like bulky cams. hahaha. what happen to your casio exilim ? dun like liao?

Posted on: 2006/12/5 18:20

Edited by webmaster on 2006/12/5 19:22:48

Home away from home
From Kuching
Not me. :D You know the 'guy' - my husband, Jee. He's looking into photography as a hobby and the choices out there are overwhelming! Thanks for you help, so much... at least now I know what are the differences, though not just in detail. I'll let him know tonight and hear what he says.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 19:04

Just can't stay away
From kuching
luxferi

hope this link can help ~~

http://ca.geocities.com/spirope/dslr.htm

Posted on: 2006/12/5 19:35

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.