tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

My New Toy - GPS Nav
Home away from home
From Australia
I wasn't intending to get this in the first place. It was a last minute interest and a last minute decision to purchase this.

I was only looking around, and then I came accross this irresistable offers, so cheap that every electronic gadget guy should own one.

I had long aimed for a portable GPS Navigation unit, but after seeing my friend having installed the GPS reciever + Map into their PDA Phone (O2 XDAii), I was then interested to get one as well. However, I was never a big fan of mobile phones and PDAs in particular due to their size, their inconvenience when used as a phone and the messaging system as they take forever to type. Then there is the issue of the late model O2 PDAs having 90% after-sales units returned for full refund due to manufacturing defects.

Anyway, back to the topic, so previously, I had thought that if I ever get a GPS Navigator Unit, I would either go for the TomTom or Navman due to their reputation and branding in the GPS Market. But they are very highly priced as well, their features are not the best but their reliability and strength in the market share is something to admire on.

So I came accross this recently popular brand (many awards received since entering the European market in 2003), the Mio-Tech. They produce good GPS Navigation unit with plenty of features, including MP3 playback.

This is my unit

Open in new window

It is the Mio Digiwalker 136 + with a 4" TFT Touch Screen, which is apparently one of the largest screen for any Car Navigation System in the market, even the Tomtom and Navman comes with a 3.5" TFT Touchscreen.

Open in new window

The cool GPS reciever flips up from behind so that it faces straight to the sky where the GPS Satellite is located, somewhere in the outer space. It is slim with a classy satin black finish.

Open in new window

The entire package comes with power point charger, in-car power adapter and charger, unit holder, stand with suction cup, preloaded Austrlian wide map, 512mb SD card, 1 year warranty, USB cable, application and map cd, audio output point, and the stylus.

Open in new window

The program is easy to use and even easier to navigate either with the your fingertip or with the stylus. The main screen contains only 5 programs. The Contacts (for your to store all your contacts information, the Calender (for you to store all the appointment-meetings-etc-just-like-the-PDA, the settings, MP3 playback program and finally the Navigation itself.

Open in new window

Map loading time is fast even inside the house, it is even faster when you are outdoor exposed to the clear open sky.

Open in new window

There is also the precaution warning message, which you must click 'I Agree' in order to proceed with the navigation. Basically to promote safe driving on the road, that means no playing with the GPS unit while driving, which I totally ignored because I was too excited with it.

Open in new window

It will first show you where you are currently located, then you can choose to go to any address in the whole of Australia, lookup for the nearest petrol station, hotels, police station etc. There is even the Point of Interest sections where all the popular attractions for schools, hotels, surburbs, stadiums and lookout point are located and it will guide you there accurately.

What more? In the screen, it will also indicates your current travelling speed, and warn you if you are over the speed limit in a particular area, warning for speed and red light cameras and many more functions.

Over all I was very happy with the purchase and for the price I paid, it was even more impressive, so irresistable I ended up getting one without any interest or planning before that.

Open in new window

The price I paid? Only AUD$397 (roughly around RM1150), down from other retail price at AUD$699. Comes with a 1 year warranty, but I extended the warranty for an extra 24 months for a total price of $446 ready-to-use gps navigation.

Posted on: 2006/12/6 20:54

Edited by edgar on 2006/12/6 21:11:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: My New Toy - GPS Nav
Just can't stay away
From kuching
cool stuff!!!

where u get this things??

BTW i don tink kuching got GPS system leh... too bad

Posted on: 2006/12/6 21:04

Home away from home
From Australia
Yeah, I think Malaysia doesn't have its own GPS map yet, so you cannot use it there.

I got it from Harvey Norman Store, Australia, $397 offers end this week lol. Basically it is ready to use in any country, because the map is not preloaded into your GPS unit, but into the expandable SD Card, so if you are able to purchase the GPS Map for your country, installed into your SD card and slot in, then it is ready to use either.

Posted on: 2006/12/6 21:08

Webmaster
From Kuching
Says who! There are more enthusiast than you will ever expect.
They even have a group.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/

Posted on: 2006/12/6 21:24

Just can't stay away
From kuching
i know this 1 long time ago but they only support for west malaysia and singapore rite??

Posted on: 2006/12/6 21:31

Webmaster
From Kuching
Here got a few. last time got one member here also play.
I seen the gps also. tabuan map. lol.

Posted on: 2006/12/6 21:53

Home away from home
From Australia
Oh yeah nice find.

MioMap V3 Latest

the Mio Map V3 is the latest version, and it does covered West Malaysia. So yeah, can be used for my GPS unit as well.

Posted on: 2006/12/6 22:04

Home away from home
From Australia
Opps and I think they are currently building the map for sarawak as well, as we speak.

Here

good luck guys, soon you will be able to use GPS in Sarawak!

Posted on: 2006/12/6 22:06

Just can't stay away
From Kuching, Sarawak
kuching have GPS map. who said dun have? lolz. buy HP PDA got free GPS software. all FREE...!!

Posted on: 2006/12/8 18:52

Just can't stay away
Quote:

Boxing85 wrote:
kuching have GPS map. who said dun have? lolz. buy HP PDA got free GPS software. all FREE...!!

Yea~
My dad's friend own one. He kept showing off to us, as if I've never seen a GPS Nav before. Beh tahan~~

Posted on: 2006/12/9 0:06

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.