tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: My New Toy - GPS Nav
Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
Thats the major hurdle for us in "backwards" places. we arnt on the MAPS! UGH!

Posted on: 2007/7/12 21:46

Quite a regular
From Adelaide, South Australia
Just following up on the gps thingo for east malaysia.. just had a play with the malsing map for kuching, and it looks pretty good! I just punched in a few streets and it didn't have any problems finding it. Great stuff!

Posted on: 2007/7/12 21:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
Quote:

Howie wrote:
Just following up on the gps thingo for east malaysia.. just had a play with the malsing map for kuching, and it looks pretty good! I just punched in a few streets and it didn't have any problems finding it. Great stuff!

yes malsing is quite up to date. but not if your on any GPS NAV units . Unless the grab it off malsing. try Route66 or much of the offered maps dat come with d devices. and u will understand our frustrations.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 23:51

Home away from home
From Australia
Quote:

ian wrote:
GPS is for sissies. Just like asking for directions is for sissies too.

Getting lost and dying builds character.

It's easy to become hero behing the keyboards, well, it is even easier to build character at your little hometown, Miri isn't big at all, so is the rest of the city and town of Sarawak.

Come to Sydney, as a tourist, in a rented car and I would love to see if you would retract what you had just said. As far as I am aware of, I would not drive around Sydney (as a interstate visitor) without my GPS, messy as fck, one of the worst planned city in Australia.

Luckily, Adelaide had Sir Colonel Light and I am pretty sure Howie agrees on that too , and on that note, I just found out that Sir Colonel Light was borned in Malaysia, wtf

Posted on: 2007/7/13 7:54

Home away from home
From Australia
Quote:

Howie wrote:
awesome links... i came here to find out if east malaysia were covered by gps yet, and that came in handy.

maybe one of you guys can answer this ...

if i were to use my gps unit in kuching... which software will i need? I understand tomtom do not current support malaysia, so is it just mapking and mio? What other software should i keep an eye on?

Howie, read my previous post:

Quote:

edgar wrote:
Opps and I think they are currently building the map for sarawak as well, as we speak.

Here

good luck guys, soon you will be able to use GPS in Sarawak!

yes they are currently building the GPS map for Sarawak not sure how did it go but I hope it will come out soon.

But just to let you know, all Australian delivered GPS Sat Nav will not be able to load maps from another country. Meaning, you can only get the maps of another country from your provider in Australia.

e.g., if you want maps for the US, you need to purchase them from Navman website Australia as those purchased US maps can only be loaded to Australian Navman unit.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 8:02

Home away from home
From Australia
street directory are fine, but of course non-existed for Kuching.

They are fine to certain degrees, e.g., you have a look, and pretty mush guestimate and memorised all the route before you start driving around.

You certainly cannot look at the map while driving and to check if you are on the same street. If you use the GPS Sat Nav, it is voice guided and it tells you to turn whenever you are supposed to, and it even has preloaded (and manual loaded) speed camera locations so you know when to slow down.

Voice guided FTW.

Lost and asked around just to find that they are not as accurate FTL. I have been lost in Sydney before way before I got the GPS, and asking around does not help either, lost a lot of precious time just to look for our hotel!

Posted on: 2007/7/13 8:10

Home away from home
From miri
Quote:

edgar wrote:

It's easy to become hero behing the keyboards, well, it is even easier to build character at your little hometown, Miri isn't big at all, so is the rest of the city and town of Sarawak.

Come to Sydney, as a tourist, in a rented car and I would love to see if you would retract what you had just said. As far as I am aware of, I would not drive around Sydney (as a interstate visitor) without my GPS, messy as fck, one of the worst planned city in Australia.

Turn on your sense of humor, will ya? You're supposed to be piling on more ridiculous words after mine for a laugh, not tell me what I already know.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 11:49

Home away from home
From Australia
I don't already know what you already know, all I know was what you had said was a complete bull that is only applicable in Miri and particularly the cities in Sarawak itself.

Posted on: 2007/7/16 8:07

Home away from home
From miri
Meh.

Posted on: 2007/7/16 12:13

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.