New Members
Isaac97 2012/9/4
KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Kuching is the Cleanest City, Healthiest City but ...
Home away from home
it's really a good opportunity to police force.

if all the "lap sap" on the road/shopping complexes were recruited in the police force, and going through personalities training, physical training, then they can control the situation out there lo.

these "lap sap" are rather useful if only they are being noticed.

"lap sap" refers to school dropouts, little "xiao hun hun", mr. ah beng/ah lian, mat rempit and whatever la....

Posted on: 2008/1/7 15:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Wat do you mean rubbish recruited into thy police force?

Posted on: 2008/1/7 17:34

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
Quote:

bytez wrote:
Wat do you mean rubbish recruited into thy police force?

read my last line, please. stated very clearly there.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 20:19

Home away from home
From miri
Quote:

Conclusion is.. there's nothing that doesn't come with a price. The increase in crimes is the price we are paying for development.

So are we all just going to accept that?

To me its a delicate balance. We could tip it into our favor if we act, otherwise it will consume us all and tips towards the criminals' favor.

What would you prefer to do?

Low crime + development is entirely possible. Just dot the entire area with competent uniformed patrol. Just look at Singapore.

The practice is much more complicated and goes way deeep (corruption, mediocrity, bad leadership etc) but from my observations we did not strive enough to tip it towards our favor.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 23:10

Home away from home
Naw .... just simple growing pains that you'll get used to, eventually. You can't have your cake and eat it all at the same time. Something's got to give. Crime is always an integral part of the human web, compounded by population growth, opportunities and typically ... laxed preventive law enforcement.

Suggestion .... apply for a gun permit!

Posted on: 2008/1/8 4:52

Home away from home
From Australia
Quote:

WinteRose wrote:
It's always two sides of a coin. We want development (in terms of properties and infrastructures), which we seems to be getting with all the projects going on in recent years. For that we have to hire the foreign workers because not many locals want to be involved in hard labor nowadays because most ppl have at least an SPM qualification (or MORE) that allows them better job opportunities (even a waiter or a janitor is still quite a comfortable job compared to a construction laborer). And hey, I hear that even with a PMR you can begin work as a junior office boy! On the other hand, crime rates are skyrocketing because of the foreign workers. Conclusion is.. there's nothing that doesn't come with a price. The increase in crimes is the price we are paying for development.

Foreign workers do not contribute to crime, if chosen correctly during the scrutiny processes, which we don't have anyway! That's why.

I am a Malaysian, working in Australia, so will I be considered as foreign worker? and am I subject to crime?

So what if people these days have at least SPM qualification? It means nothing! Absolutely nothing! If you do not carry a college certificate or bachelor degree qualification from university, you are nothing.

So why does the local people does not wish to get involved in building and construction anymore? Well, it says a lot about the qualification level, and also the pay rate in Malaysia.

In Australia, if you are a builder (of any sort in construction), you need a proper qualification, you need a builder's license, everything has to comply with the Australian Design Rules, and most of all, you get paid well above average wages to people who works in the office, and to top it off, you get 2 weeks or more, of holidays over the Christmas period and still get paid.

So what is happening in Malaysia? The greed of the developer, coupled with the greed of your local government, that put the society at risks.

If the government had put much effort into tightening the employment of foreigners, tightening the rules and minimum pay rate for these type of employment, tightening the rules of fair employment, tightening the rules of accommodation and transportation for these foreign workers, then such thing would not have happened.

Also, if the developer put a little more effort, and stop thinking about making maximum profit all the time, put the effort into the welfare of their employees, put a little more effort into bringing better lives to their employees, then no such thing would have happened.

Look at the condition of these employees, they live in a hut that leaks during storm, would collapse anytime, located beside the site, no proper electricity or clean water, and so isolated from the rest of the world, aside for the developing sites. Yet, they have to work the hardest, toughest, most dangerous job in the world (with no safety whatsoever), and paid the least.

Just because both developer and government's willingness to skim on cost and maximise profits.

So as a conclusion, don't blame them, blame your local developer and you local government. If it's not because of them, everyone else would have a better life.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 6:14

Home away from home
From canada
Perfect analogy of a 3rd world society!!

Posted on: 2008/1/8 7:11

Quite a regular
From Adelaide, South Australia
Very interesting discussion guys, some thought provoking stuff here.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 7:41

Home away from home
From in your mind
Some ppl are taking things a stride too personal.

Perhaps I should have phrased it like: FOREIGN WORKERS working in HARD LABOR at a very CHEAP rate.. a condition that pushes SOME workers into DESPERATION to rob and plunder the locals.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 8:49

Home away from home
From Australia
Of course!

it's because of your naive conclusion that draws the line where non-SPM qualified residents, or migrant workers are subject to crime involvement that is happening in and around Kuching, as a result of employments required during the development of the city. And that, those who do not, are not subject to crimes at all, when they are the creepiest devil to breath (read: Chief Minister)?

Is that personal? Of course it is.

And it's ridiculous as well!

Change the regulations and employment fairness, and you will change the lives of these people. The crime rates would slowly decrease.

I have never heard the saying where, developments leads to crime. Foreign workers leads to crime. And you have to accept crime in exchange for developments!

Posted on: 2008/1/8 10:41

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.