tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Look what I've found!!!
Home away from home
From Australia
I was going through the old craps in the garage when I stumbled upon this little plastic box.

At first sight, you would thought of it as 'another tradesman's toolbox', well, at least that was what I thought.

Wait a minute..... is that a power button and a floopy disk drive?

Holy....

Yep, it's an old, old, very old Laptop, made by Sharp.

It even have the serial port, printer port, the old ancient parallel and serial ports. Sorry, no USB ports here :D

No, there is nothing wrong with your eyes. And yes, it has a hardisk capacity of 40MB. At the time, it was perhaps one of the largest you can get, and now, you get 100x more of that as a minimum. At the time, you only get DOS application which unlike the Windows, does not take up so much memory and space, and in this digital world, you can only store as many as only 10 digital images in this laptop.

If it's still working though!!!

Not sure whether this is an LCD screen, but I shall called it blue screen, no, not Window's error screen LOL.

This is the keyboard, so I think nothing much has changed since the introduction of the keyboard keys placement, still has similar layout and placement except for where the location of the CTRL key is compared to the modern keyboards.

Don't know what do they offer, but doesn't matter now, we don't need them.

And I found this small time/code chip settings underneath the laptop, not sure what it is for.

Couldn't find the manufacturing date, but it certainly would be interesting to see one. Here is says "Personal Computer" as compared to the conventional term of 'Laptop' or 'Notebook'.

I also noticed there was a floopy disk still in the drive, so I ejected the disk and found out that it has "BIOS" written on it, so I assumed, this laptop had died/dumped due to a crashed BIOS :D (i'm just guessing)

It still looks pretty cool to me! I am pretty sure those who are old enough will remember those old action movies from Arnold Schwarzenegger during your childhood days, you must have seen this type computer being used in the movies, especially by the bad guys, trying to crack or blow up a place, or whatever they were doing :D

Or.... it still looks like a military pc :D

I would love to see the reactions of the public when if I go to one of the cafes in town, ordered a cup of coffee, sit down, and pulled this laptop out of my bag and start using it.

It would be interesting.....

Posted on: 2007/2/27 12:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Look what I've found!!!
Webmaster
From Kuching
LOL ! PURE CLASSIC!

For a while there, I thought it was Atari Console !
ahahah u better keep it. its antique.

Posted on: 2007/2/27 12:39

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Better yet, you could possibly sale it for some decent change. I think there are ppl out there that collect this kind of stuff.

But that is one mighty good find!

Posted on: 2007/2/27 13:33

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
think the screen is monocrome one. if you dig around and find the adapter you could power it up.

Posted on: 2007/2/27 14:50

Webmaster
From Kuching
How heavy is it btw?

Posted on: 2007/2/27 14:52

Home away from home
From Kuching
You should definitely try getting it to work. It's not really that old you know judging from it's design and the availability of a 40MB HDD + 3.5 floppy disc drive.

Posted on: 2007/2/27 14:57

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
i think the size about A4. weight very heavy, can use to hit crab. i think saw some japanese using it in japan, wanna laugh because looks very big but i control.

Posted on: 2007/2/27 15:04

Home away from home
From Australia
I can't stop laughing when I saw "40MB Hard Disk" written so HUGELY on the cover I they they were really darn proud of their 40MB capacity, compared to the modern world, a thumbsize USB memory drive has much larger capacity.

I did! I was looking all over the for the charger, will continue to search tomorrow. I would be very happy if this thing can even start!

Posted on: 2007/2/27 20:35

Home away from home
From miri
Hey, those key commands are for the original DOS version of WordPerfect if I recall correctly.

Posted on: 2007/2/28 11:29

Just can't stay away
From kedah/penang/kuching
where the hell that u get that... museum erk...

Posted on: 2007/3/11 17:48

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]