teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

'Biggies' in martial arts coming to Kuching
Webmaster
From Kuching
'Biggies' in martial arts coming to Kuching
Resource from the Star

By SHARON LING

KUCHING: Some of the biggest names in martial arts will be coming here in September for an inaugural Martial Arts Gathering (MAG) to showcase their skills and knowledge.

They include Pan Chen Miao and Ruan Dong from China, renowned masters of the "White Crane" style of kung fu, "Feeding Crane" boxer Liu Chang I from Taiwan, American martial arts historian and karate exponent Russ Smith, and Evert van der Meulen, a kung fu researcher and practitioner from Holland.

The three-day event from Sept 6 to 9, organised by MY Martial Arts Sdn Bhd, will bring together some 50 masters representing various ethnic groups and fighting styles.

Local kung fu and silat exponents will also be there.

It will also feature workshops and seminars investigating themes such as the history, lineage and evolution of martial arts.

"What we aim to achieve is to make Sarawak and Malaysia an unmissable venue for martial arts enthusiasts and researchers to visit.

"This event could be the start of martial arts tourism in the country," martial arts consultant Eric Ling said at the launch of the event's official website here on Tuesday.

He added that Malaysia, Sarawak in particular, offered unmatched diversity in martial arts, from Fuzhou and Hakka kung fu fighting styles to silat, Indian fighting arts and other indigenous styles.

State Urban Development and Tourism Minister Datuk Wong Soon Koh, who launched the website, www.martialartsgathering.com, said more efforts should be made to rekindle interest in martial arts, especially among young people.

"We need to preserve and nurture martial arts as they are part and parcel of our cultural heritage.

"Practising martial arts not only teaches self-defence but also instills self-discipline and confidence," he said.

Posted on: 2007/3/20 23:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 'Biggies' in martial arts coming to Kuching
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
I think this is very cool .

But they don't mention what workshops will be conducted, when, and how much.

Also they seem to have excluded the Japanese and Korean arts like Karate, Aikido, Taekwondo and Hapkido.

If they truly want to make this a international event, they need to include these arts too.

Posted on: 2007/3/21 9:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]