tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

A Night at the Movies, with Bel Canto & Wong Wye Yi
Home away from home
From Kuching
Open in new window

KUCHING: Newly-formed vocal group Bel Canto is set to dazzle at "A Night at the Movies" this Friday, 7.30pm at the Sarawak Tourism Complex Performance Art Theatre.

"A Night at the Movies" is their first outing as a private group since they came together last September.

Bel Canto means "beautiful singing" in Italian. The members met in the Sarawak Symphony Orchestra (SONS Choir) and decided to branch out to explore a more contemporary route.

"We want to give our local talent an opportunity to shine." said Bel Canto's manager Priscilla Khoo.

The group comprises of Misato Sakai (soprano), Sabrina Tnay (soprano), Laura Linang (alto), Stanley David (tenor), Doyle Owen Lacasse (bass) and Eileen Voong (piano).

Misato Sakai has a series of concert performances under her belt, including the role of Aline in last year's SONS Choir operetta 'The Sorcerer'. She is currently a lecturer of Vocal Performance at UNIMAS.

Sabrina Tnay is a pianist, a vocal teacher and a choir conductor who specializes in training children for singing competitions. She also won a vocal solo competition organized by the Kota Kinabalu Music Society in 2006.

Laura Linang was awarded St. Nicholas Badge from Royal School Church Music (RSCM), London for the commitment, singing improvement and ability to lead. She performed solos in her recent project "Hear The Voice" in April 2006 which organized by St. Mary's Cathedral Choir, Kuala Lumpur.

Stanley David joined the St. Thomas' Cathedral choir at age 11 as a tenor. He attended a choral workshop hosted by "The Song Company" of Australia and received his Diploma in organ music from the Royal Collage of Organist, London in 2004. He also is an associate of the Royal Collage of Organist (ARCO).

Doyle Owen Lacasse joined the SONS Choir in their production of the musical "Trial by Jury" as a soloist and actor. His recent project was conducting the concert "Hear the Voice" held in St. Mary's Cathedral Kuala Lumpur in April 2006. He received his voice training under David Price (Royal Collage of Music, London).

Eileen Voong spent the last five years as the resident pianist/accompanist for the Sarawak State Orchestra and Choir, and currently supports them as guest pianist. She also runs a music and drama class for underprivileged children with the support of the Sarawak State Government. Her goal in life is to help children excel in the performing arts.

Bel Canto's choice of music for that night include familiar movie favourites like When I Fall in Love from Sleepless in Seattle, Into The West from Lord of the Rings, Staying Alive from Saturday Night Fever, and more.

Classical music lovers will also be treated to a performance by Wong Wye Yi on the piano.

Wong graduated from University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba with a Bachelor of Music (Honours) in 2002. She was also bestowed the Outstanding Teaching Award and the Honours Award by the USQ Department of Music.

Open in new window

She went on to pursued a postgraduate diploma in piano performance at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester (UK), under the tutelage of the late Mark Ray.

Now a full time music teacher, Wong hopes to inspire and motivate young musicians to excellence with her passion for teaching children.

She will be performing selected pieces from JS Bach, Haydn, Brahms and Albeniz.

Tickets for "A Night at the Movies" are still available at RM25 each from Scofield Distributor (28, Lorong Green No. 1, 93150 Kuching). For enquiries, please call them at 082-418828 or 016-8912286 (Eileen).

Posted on: 2007/4/9 16:43

Re: A Night at the Movies, with Bel Canto & Wong Wye Yi
Webmaster
From Kuching
ah thanks for posting this up.
I was looking for the news but couldn't find it

Posted on: 2007/4/9 18:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Kuching
If I knew they were not going to post it online, I would have posted it earlier.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 9:22

Home away from home
From Kuching
Priscilla, manager of Bel Canto, just SMSed to say that tickets are sold out today.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 20:01

Webmaster
From Kuching
Quote:

Tarlia wrote:
Priscilla, manager of Bel Canto, just SMSed to say that tickets are sold out today.

Fuh! no chance for me going then. *sob*

Posted on: 2007/4/10 23:08

Home away from home
From Kuching
Why wait so long? :P

Posted on: 2007/4/11 0:01

Webmaster
From Kuching
I had to say that I don't have much friends who are really into these sort of music and willing spend $$$ to go. lol.

they only spend $$$ when korean Rain comes. lol. or some taiwan artist.

oh well. wait for the next music event.

Posted on: 2007/4/11 0:11

Home away from home
From Kuching
Well, I'm almost always at things like this.

Posted on: 2007/4/11 0:44

Webmaster
From Kuching
Kuching shud have a venue where such event can be hosted. I mean a big one. the Tourism Complex is cozy and nice but not big enough for such event.

feel free to update me or the site when you get 1st hand news about such events in future.

the sarawak music society website doesn't seem to be very active at all.

Posted on: 2007/4/11 0:51

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
Linang from Kuching one issit?

Posted on: 2007/4/11 21:47

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.