tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Recommendations..
Home away from home
From canada
The Olympus SP550UZ is made in Indonesia! That's probably the problem.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 13:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just popping in
do u think a machine made in Indo occur this problem as if comparing to Japan or Korea making? i think its a matter of recognisation instead of where does it made. whereby, the place of manufacture all are under QC control, the diff is the labour/ currency.

i think... a machines made in Japan has its advantages as it is guaranteed for the polished quality but somehow the costs is higher and therefore it will automatically place the price higher and we the consumer who is going to bear for the "made in Japan" costs...

Posted on: 2007/6/13 13:43

Home away from home
From miri
Quote:

reid wrote:

I believe that is the case too. However, in terms of construction, it feels very solid and well made.

I did not go for a DSLR because it is simply too bulky. The Olympus's size and features are what made me go for it. I'm just going to carry around the camera and snap interesting pics or even for a nice candid effect

Besides, I can always borrow a DSLR if I really needed one. Anything up to a Nikon D70

Posted on: 2007/6/13 14:56

Home away from home
From canada
Quote:

ian wrote:
Quote:

reid wrote:

I believe that is the case too. However, in terms of construction, it feels very solid and well made.

I did not go for a DSLR because it is simply too bulky. The Olympus's size and features are what made me go for it. I'm just going to carry around the camera and snap interesting pics or even for a nice candid effect

Besides, I can always borrow a DSLR if I really needed one. Anything up to a Nikon D70

Ever looked at Canon S3 IS? Very good review. Looks almost like your Olympus. It's 12X zoom, less powerful than yours, but heck, how often do you use all that 18X? And it has a few less 'toys' too. I know it's almost dSLR quality, and can be had for C$450. It's on sale here now for 350. Very tempted indeed.

You should check it out.

Posted on: 2007/6/14 10:06

Home away from home
From miri
Quote:

reid wrote:

Ever looked at Canon S3 IS? Very good review. Looks almost like your Olympus.

I'd already checked it out, which is why I know of the other one with the same problem. It's slightly larger than the Olympus and less powerful with a smaller screen. Its electronic viewfinder is also not as good as the SP550uz's. (And, yes - I do use that)

Quote:

It's 12X zoom, less powerful than yours, but heck, how often do you use all that 18X?

Always . Why do you think I got 18x zoom for?

The recent Olympuses have updated firmware to fix the annoyances found in the dpreview reviews so that is no longer a problem, and my first impressions are good with it (aside from this rechargeable oddity - just my luck).

You may check out the photos I took so far from my blog. A few of them haven't been retouched, those that were needed because I shot with the wrong settings or (like the flower one) it was getting dark.

Posted on: 2007/6/14 10:17

Home away from home
From canada
Always thought zoooooooom is a must only at a nudist camp! No pun intended, and no qualms 'bout your Olympus either. In fact, my very 1st film camera was an antique olympus slr. Everything had to be manually set. Moved to Chinon with a 400mm zoom, together weighing in at maybe 3 lbs! You could hear the shutter go from 30 feet away! All that was THEN!

Yup, am a little leery 'bout the Canon.....think it's made in your neck of the woods! My Jap-made Canon never fails.

Hope they fix your zooooomer good. Saw your pics....very good. More to come?

Posted on: 2007/6/14 11:29

Home away from home
From miri
Quote:

reid wrote:
Always thought zoooooooom is a must only at a nudist camp! No pun intended, and no qualms 'bout your Olympus either. In fact, my very 1st film camera was an antique olympus slr. Everything had to be manually set. Moved to Chinon with a 400mm zoom, together weighing in at maybe 3 lbs! You could hear the shutter go from 30 feet away! All that was THEN!

No qualms on Canon too, very nice model, just that the Olympus suited me more.

I used to have a Canon Powershot Pro90 IS but that one died when its Image Stabilizer went opposite to what it was supposed to do. It also likes purple alot and is a nightmare with post editing.

Posted on: 2007/6/14 12:00

Edited by ian on 2007/6/14 12:25:43

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.