Webmaster
From Kuching
No further input ? boo hoo..

Posted on: 2007/6/11 13:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Retracing History of Kuching
Home away from home
From Sydney
Sorry, Webmaster, my history lesson needs to pause sometimes.

*press play*

Anyway, the Astana originally had one turret, not two turrets as we see now. The three main buildings were connected via narrow passageways that served as galleries housing Brooke Family portraiture.

Old pictures of the Astana show a rather sad though imposing building. Smaller than what we have now. Don't have the pictures with me now, sorry, all in Kuching.

The famous portrait of Rajah Brooke we see is in the Astana, and it is rumoured to have been used as target practice by Rajah James. The small holes resulted from his use of the blowpipe. The Renee of Sarawak frequently hosted tea parties for the nobility and European administrators' wives in the grounds. The Sarawak Rangers had a barracks in the complex to serve as the Rajah's personal guard.

There's a pool for the governor at the back.

Before that permanent structure was built, Rajah Charles lived in a wooden bungalow, which was burnt down during the Chinese Rebellion.

By the size of the grounds and residence, the Astana is said to be the largest palace in Malaysia.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 16:34

Home away from home
From Kitty City
Quote:

mochaholic wrote:
Sorry, Webmaster, my history lesson needs to pause sometimes.

*press play*

Anyway, the Astana originally had one turret, not two turrets as we see now. The three main buildings were connected via narrow passageways that served as galleries housing Brooke Family portraiture.

Old pictures of the Astana show a rather sad though imposing building. Smaller than what we have now. Don't have the pictures with me now, sorry, all in Kuching.

The famous portrait of Rajah Brooke we see is in the Astana, and it is rumoured to have been used as target practice by Rajah James. The small holes resulted from his use of the blowpipe. The Renee of Sarawak frequently hosted tea parties for the nobility and European administrators' wives in the grounds. The Sarawak Rangers had a barracks in the complex to serve as the Rajah's personal guard.

There's a pool for the governor at the back.

Before that permanent structure was built, Rajah Charles lived in a wooden bungalow, which was burnt down during the Chinese Rebellion.

By the size of the grounds and residence, the Astana is said to be the largest palace in Malaysia.

Yea I saw d pool on Google Earth

Attach file:

jpg  astana.jpg (63.07 KB)
1332_466d0ac8d781c.jpg 524X347 px

Posted on: 2007/6/11 16:41

Home away from home
Quote:

webmaster wrote:
Quote:

maozi wrote:
Oh tat's fun~
I'll write about the oldest church in town, St Tom
Uh... needa go find info first :p

Thanks maozi, i didn't know St Thom is the oldest church in town.

Does anyone know what this building does in the old days?
The building is labled A-1929-D Garment Store Bazaar.

I am pretty sure it wasn;t a garment store bazaar back then.
So any info on it?

Kuching City seriously has lack of documentation. So hope you guys can contribute what you can.

this building originally named as PERTAMA BUILDING...then a few years back the PERTAMA BUILDING sign covered by another signboard..

i remebered this place because my friend like to have lunch inside there..1st floor and second floor have stall..maybe 10 to 15 stall..

based from my friend story,the stall have been inside there since 1950's perghh..nowadays so many restaurant and cafe in kuching and we dont know about the history of this building and what inside it heheh..

Posted on: 2007/6/11 18:43

Home away from home
Quote:

webmaster wrote:
And also, feel free to make any inputs if you know any history of Kuching. anything at all !

Something like, the Open-Air Market place used to be a Fire-Station and Electra House used to the Sesco main office. Or the Riverbank Suite building used to be ANg Cheng Ho building before it was demolished with dynamites.

Anything at all!

bro..i was there when Ang Cheng Ho building bombed..i think emm its 1993 or 1994..because that time is still my school years(form 4/or 5)

some part of Holiday Inn hotel mirrors beside the building got cracked ...what i remembered is that the bombing is the first in malaysia and of course in sarawak also hehehe.

The Riverside Hotel built since 1988..Hilton built earlier emm maybe 1986.i remember when hotel management start planting coconut tree there..

for me that time so funnylah because they try to plant a tall tree there..hehe

i still remember the waterfront before it become current waterfront..the navy always park their ship there(at sarawak Shipping ..only one building left) there is one shell station beside the Chinese History Museum..Opposite the Tua Pek Kong

Posted on: 2007/6/11 18:52

Webmaster
From Kuching
wait wait. this sound interesting.

Quote:

i still remember the waterfront before it become current waterfront..the navy always park their ship there(at sarawak Shipping ..only one building left) there is one shell station beside the Chinese History Museum..Opposite the Tua Pek Kong

SHELL station beside the chinese museum? got ah?
i have absolutely no idea. i assume that was before the Waterfront was contructed? before 1993?

I manage to get this photo. Photo copyright of Mr Chan Kheng Hui of the Sarawak Photo-Art Society.

One quesiton though, what does the Ang Cheng Ho building do? a common resident flat?

This is the building that stood before it was replaced by Riverbank Suite.

Attach file:

jpg  2394.jpg (54.99 KB)
1_466d2f69b9a41.jpg 390X547 px

Posted on: 2007/6/11 19:08

Home away from home
From canada
That Shell station was called Tan Boon Tien Filling Station. In fact, Shell held the gas monopoly until the early 70's I think, when ESSO showed up. The sale slogan then was....'Put A Tiger In Your Tank'!

Posted on: 2007/6/12 11:44

Home away from home
From Kitty City
Quote:

webmaster wrote:
wait wait. this sound interesting.

Quote:

SHELL station beside the chinese museum? got ah?
i have absolutely no idea. i assume that was before the Waterfront was contructed? before 1993?

I manage to get this photo. Photo copyright of Mr Chan Kheng Hui of the Sarawak Photo-Art Society.

One quesiton though, what does the Ang Cheng Ho building do? a common resident flat?

This is the building that stood before it was replaced by Riverbank Suite.

Woot~ Angchengho Building
My dad was in Inspectorate by that time so I actually went in n out of tat building quite often~

Posted on: 2007/6/12 11:49

Just can't stay away
You could consider Batu Lintang POW camp. Inormation is available on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batu_Lintang_camp.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 12:37

Webmaster
From Kuching
Quote:

Simpson wrote:
You could consider Batu Lintang POW camp. Inormation is available on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batu_Lintang_camp.

that i never knew. damn the Sejarah book we learn school ! nothing but #%!# propoganda.

Now i know Batu Lintang lies so much history. interesting. I personally never seen those stuff. Especially this Ammunition bunker

Hope its still there.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 13:07

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.