teresaong 2012/3/24
Sponsored 2

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Emigrating to Kuching
Home away from home
From Kuching
Hi there Twoton,

I can introduce you to a good friend of mine, Hans Hazebroek. Hans has authored several books on wildlife (try googling his name) and will be more than able to answer most of your queries (except for the XXXL clothing and Chinese books).

Posted on: 2007/9/22 11:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Webmaster
From Kuching
Quote:

TeQuiLa wrote:
A monitor lizard is illegal? But they are so common.

I have a couple in my house too. They pop up randomly here and there. Sometimes u look in the drain and u'll see one!

I dun think its illegal to have a monitor lizard in the house. Even on the golf course you will see many! The caddies like to catch them and eat them.

Not very sure about that. If he is refering to the monitor lizard so called "biawak" locally. That creature can be pretty nasty. Hunt's neighbour's chicken eggs. lol

I don't know, there are lots of species out there.

Posted on: 2007/9/22 13:00

Quite a regular
From Taipei, Taiwan
Hi everyone

thank you all very much again for your wonderful help!

Sorry if I mislead you all - I don't want the monitor as a pet I just found it quite amazing that some people's gardens are home to (wild) three-meter lizards and tried to make a lame joke. I've heard of monitors crossing the river from the Waterfront to the Astana, so I guess these days they're city dwellers, too. (Tequila, I think you're talking about a smaller species - I can't imagine a ten-foot reptile popping up in your toilet drain, haha...this is the kind I mean)

About Hans B. Hazebroek - I'd absolutely love to meet him! I have two of his works right here (Nat. Parks of Sarawak - what a grand book!), and I'd be humbled, yet utterly delighted to get in touch with the gentleman!

Borneo's fauna and flora is indeed why I chose Kuching as a place to live and school our kids. I've been to Bako and a few other wild places, and it's just mind-boggling. You can stand at any given place in the bush and just observe all those amazing insects, plants, and vertebrates around you without ever getting bored. We have about 50 species of snakes in Taiwan (here's a site I made), but few as fascinating as in Borneo.

With "garden centers" I meant places where you can get garden supplies - everything from seeds to pots to fertilizer.

Where are the Chinese book stores? Are there some sort of Kuching Yellow Pages where I could find that out myself?

Again, thanks a lot - you guys are a really helpful bunch!

Cheers

Hans

Posted on: 2007/9/22 13:22

Just can't stay away
There are a lot of garden centres that sell orchids, all type of plants, flowers, top soil, fertiliser, flower pots, etc especially along Penrissen Road. You could buy all your local garden needs. In addition, there are business which provide outdoor garden furniture, stones etc. In terms of gardening, Sarawak is the right place. Sarawak Porceline make from local clay is popular among local as well as tourist. You could have all types of porceline pots and containers for your gardening need at a very affordable price.

Sarawak is short of advertisements for businesses especially company websites. But when you are in Kuching for a while, you will have a good idea of where to find your needs.

Posted on: 2007/9/22 14:12

Just can't stay away
More than half of Kuching population are Chinese. There is around quater millions of Chinese live in Kuching. Hence you could find Chinese books and magazine in all stationary shops, book shops etc. But most the the books are local Malaysian publication. For oversea Chinese publication, there are some book stores specialize on just selling the Taiwanese books. Popular book store also sell good Chinese oversea publication and English books and magazines.

There are three Chinese daily newspapers published in Kuching. There are Sin Chew Jit Poh, Sea Hua Daily News and International Times. The two English newspaper is The Borneo Post and Eastern Times. Beside international schools, there are government Chinese Primary schools and Independent Chinese Secondary schools if you consider your children to receive education in Chinese instead of English.

Mandarin is widely spoken among local Chinese. Other dialects like Hokkein (Similar to spoken by people in Taiwan), Foochow, Hakka, Cantonese are also popular.

Posted on: 2007/9/22 14:24

Just can't stay away
short stay ok, long stay maybe not

Posted on: 2007/9/22 15:41

Home away from home
From Kuching
Quote:

zookim wrote:
short stay ok, long stay maybe not

Please verify your statement.

Posted on: 2007/9/22 16:54

Not too shy to talk
Not sure if it will apply to you, but you might want to look at Malaysia's my second home programme. MM2H residents can't work in Msia, so that may not apply to you. But it allows you to bring cars into Malaysia tax-free, and allows you an multiple entry visa for 10 years. http://www.mm2h.gov.my/

Overall, Kuching is a darn cheap place to stay. Your post expensive outlay is probably a car.

Hope everything works out for you.

Posted on: 2007/9/22 22:52

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Perhaps you can check on http://www.borneohighlands.com.my/introduction.html for the places of interest.

Are you sure more than half a popu is chinese? We do have some mix as well. Mixture of Iban (Bumiputera), Malays, Indians (not much) and foreigners as well.

Talk about the greenhouse garden, you need to invest quite some $ there as to

1) keep the temperature below 25C (Kuching temperature is around 28-32)
2) ensure sufficient water delivered to all plants (utility bills are getting expensive)
3) appropriate soil for the plants (in fact we do have variation types of soil for the plants)

You can also get super cheap plants at our SUNDAY MARKET @ SATOK every saturday night/sunday morning.

In fact, I'm rather curious (but happy) that there are foreigners interested on residing in Sarawak although we do have a 'calm life' / peaceful life here. Some info sarawak you can get it here.

Most household in Sarawak speak their 'native' language. Let's say if you're Iban, you speak IBAN language, Malays speak melayu and chinese speak variation of chinese slangs like cantonese, hokkien, teochew, hakka, fuchow, henghua etc. Of course, most of the Sarawakian knew English but not all.

If you are to emigrate to Sarawak, please prepare as much cash as you need (for backups as well) because I heard it's hard for emigrants to migrate here, even west Malaysians.

Sarawak land is protected by state government.

=Estimated price=
=Location varies prices=

A terraced house in Kuching will cost you RM250,000.00 and above.
A terraced house (corner) will cost you RM280,000.00 and above.
A single terrace house will cost you approximately RM120,000.00.
A semi-detached house will cost you RM500,000.00 and above.
A Bangalow will cost you RM800,000.00-RM3,000,000.00 and above.
A Side-split will cost you RM300,000.00 and above.
A Condo (with utilities) will cost you RM300,000.00 and above.

Some information of buying house / agents.

http://www.ibraco.com:8030/htm/first.html
http://www.iproperty.com.my/reviews/jalinanbernas/coverpage.asp
http://www.cmsproperty.com.my/promo.htm
http://www.borneorealestate.com.my/localprop.html
http://www.sheda.org.my/body/buying.htm

Hope these helps..

Posted on: 2007/9/24 18:47

Home away from home
From Kuching
I think Chinese is quite populated in Kuching.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 9:35

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]