Just can't stay away
I now have my 3rd A series!

W.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 16:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Good camera shops in Kuching?
Home away from home
From Kuchingite
then maybe you just need to "accessorize". i also found some of the good useful features in the old model dissapear in the new model (like cropping). weird, maybe depends on person usage or they discourage people to change to newer model..

Posted on: 2007/10/20 17:09

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
=\

is it too late to recommend the Canon S5IS?

Posted on: 2007/10/20 18:47

Just can't stay away
The S5 seems wonderful, though too large for casual snapping.

I'm tempted by the idea of going back to an SLR but having had one and all the lenses and so on, found that the camera itself was becoming my hobby instead of the actual photography - though had great times and some great pics with it.

The S5 seems a nice compromise between SLR and pocket camera, it's certainly a great lens and saves lugging extra lenses around. For my EOS I had a 28mm, 35-105mm 2.8 portrait lens, 100-300mm USM and large powerful flash. Fantastic kit but only ever used if you knew beforehand you were going shooting - you never get any "I just happened to have my camera when..." moments!

The 570IS is the best budget compromise for me at this time, if my business takes off I'll probably look for something smaller and slimmer for my pocket, the S5 or similar for more serious or creative stuff.

Are there any weatherproof superzooms, for an orang putih who likes jungle trekking? :)

But for now yes, too late, my budget is blown! Sometimes I stare at this thing and think "1000 ringgit for the same damn camera.." but it does what my 510 promised to do and more.

Hari raya really brought home how fed up I was with the 510. It's OK outdoors but indoors it was useless. "zip..zip..zip..zip..zip.." and when it did finally focus, underexposed most shots.

For next hari raya I am ready!

W.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 19:13

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
I seems to understand your agony as i'm also one with both a huge & slim camera. & had those "dang, wished i had my slr wit me" moments. anyway, i think you're really enjoying your time in Kuching.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 21:33

Just can't stay away
Yes, I love Kuching. Apart from the traffic

Have travelled around a lot in SE Asia, Kuching still my favorite, though Phuket is nice too.

The problems of finding stuff here is not too bad and adds to the place's character I guess. In some respects I was surprised at how much is available here (if you have the money) considering in the UK we think of Borneo as headhunters, orangutans, lots of jungle and big spiders

Many of the homes here are lovely, some great architechture and the place is very clean - though for some reason public toilets are filthy, worse I've ever seen.

It's the little things you sometimes cannot find, a flash slave unit, a spice rack (eventually found one in Parkson), some decent steak knives, a butter dish... You can usually find such things but only after a long hunt. Just getting a washing up bowel that wasn't red or blue took awhile - in fact I never did, I actually brought a cream-colored one back from the UK!

Also often the quality is poor - I have lost count how many bags and backpacks I have bought here, each falling apart within a few weeks. Cheap but what is the point of cheap if no good?

Even shelves are hard to find here - again, found eventually, after a long hunt.

One thing there does not seem to be much of is "DIY" (Do It Yourself) stores here. In UK such things are very popular as a way of making your home nice. For example if you want shelves then you can visit a very large store, bigger than Choicemall, filled with things like that and pick from many different types. Here you can buy some angle-brackets and a plank of wood but not quite the same thing really.

These are minor things though compared to living in such a nice town with nice people. My wife is Malay, though I converted to Islam before coming here. Do I miss pork and hard drink?

YES!

But it is OK, as long as I can still smoke and have internet, I can survive

I'm OK unless I hear some good clubbing music, then I get a hankering to go out and drink, dance and... ah, but am married now and a good Muslim.

*sigh*

Hey, I'm 41 now, too old for clubbing. At least this is what I tell myself...

W.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 0:18

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
Quote:

Wiggles wrote: ... One thing there does not seem to be much of is "DIY" (Do It Yourself) stores here. In UK such things are very popular as a way of making your home nice. For example if you want shelves then you can visit a very large store, bigger than Choicemall, filled with things like that and pick from many different types. Here you can buy some angle-brackets and a plank of wood but not quite the same thing really. ... W.
In Kuching. prob have to go to shop around those hardware stores if you want to DIY. I done some DIY too. like using stainless steel paip to hang curtains. DIY is fun and can get exact design your desire which reflects your taste. i don't think those old tauke in kuching understands DIY, but most young people does (hopefully). Also you can draw the design and then go to carpentar to get measurements & quote. . .

Posted on: 2007/10/21 9:08

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
Quote:

Wiggles wrote: ... Do I miss pork and hard drink? YES! But it is OK, as long as I can still smoke and have internet, I can survive ...
wow, to forgo pork,.... respect man, I mean I can do without internet, hard liquor & smoke. But no charsiew, deep fried crispy pork cubes? no way.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 9:15

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.