tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

SIM CARDS
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Looking to buy sim for phone to use while in Kuching. Top Up with no contract that will allow calls/texts back to UK. What will I have to pay and where is best place to go buy please.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 13:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: SIM CARDS
Home away from home
From Sydney
As far as I know, if you're on prepaid, you won't be on a contract.

I have a Celcom number which I can use both in Malaysia and Australia.

You can pretty much buy sim cards anywhere in the city, even at the airport. Word of caution: you pay for the number. When you pay RM35 for a number, you are paying for the nice number, e.g. 019-8888088. I have a few friends from Melbourne on holiday in Sarawak figuring out that by paying RM35, they get RM35 credit. They were perplexed why they only had RM10 credit inside.

Sim cards usually cost less than RM10 and considering the competition between Celcom, Maxis and Digi, I can almost assure you, you'll be spoilt for relatively cheap text and call charges.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 13:49

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Tks quick response and info re good numbers, any number will do. We are able to get one Sim which Brother in Law has spare and just needs topping up but need another. Is there any one network better than other. What is approx cost of calls

Posted on: 2007/10/21 14:02

Home away from home
From Sydney
Celcom and Digi is good in urban areas, Maxis is limited in some areas. If you're planning on long treks into the mountains and interior, I highly suggest Celcom.

Climbed Santubong, explored Matang, relaxed in Batang Ai and hiked Mulu; had no issues with Celcom, my travel mates were busy cursing Maxis and Digi. It may be a little more expensive than the others but you pay a premium for extended services away from urban areas.

On rates, I would suggest checking their respective websites, not too sure on actual rates at current as the fluctuate nearly every week, each trying to outdo the other.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 14:09

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Tks .. super response as always.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 14:48

Home away from home
From Sydney
Your welcome, and any time, my friend.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 14:54

Just can't stay away
But didn't I hear they were no longer allowing pre-paid/no contract cards?

Personally I've given up with them and gave my nice Samsung to my wife, as I was using it so rarely Celcom kept cancelling my number. You don't have to use your credit, they just cut you off and number gone.

Gila.

W.

Posted on: 2007/10/21 23:42

Just popping in
Yeap that's right, every new sim card u buy be it pre-paid, u will have to register ur name and address etc to avoid uhm, things that funny ppl will do. As far as all these three companies (Maxis, Celcom, Digi) goes, from what i understand is:

Maxis
+ best connection among all, it connects fast, and u dont have problems making phone calls on festive seasons
+ good customer service and what services it has to offer
+ best quality calls
- expensive
- network coverage not as wide as Celcom

Celcom
+ wide coverage be it in the caves, jungle or on the mountains
+ decent connection & quality talk time.
+ decent customer service
- expensive

Digi
+ cheapest you'll ever get
+ available anytime/everywhere
- lower quality calls
- below average customer service

*These are personal opinions and i dont expect everyone to agree with me.

My gf uses has Digi and Maxis, i use Maxis and Celcom. Back in Perth (WA), no problems with Celcom making phone calls back to kch. Maxis, clearest and the best quality call i get compared to Celcom and Digi. During CNY, dont expect to make phone calls with a Digi, sometimes Celcom has problems too.

On a sidenote, is 3G available in Digi Sarawak? I think 3G is still unavailable for Celcom, only Maxis have it. Plus Maxis' unlimited 3G Streaming is decent.

My call is, get Celcom for the average income person and for its awesome wide network coverage! Get Maxis for the rich and for some who wants quality phone calls and services! Get Digi if u cant be bothered with any other services but just to make simple calls and sms' and thats it! Digi's the cheapest! Good for some but not everyone!

*lol i love ranting arnd, if only i have a blog, i'll be yapping all day long. actually im just excited with Kch's new forum!

Posted on: 2007/10/22 15:07

Home away from home
From Sydney
You need to sign up and all those stuff now? Wasn't made aware of that...mine's a Celcom post-paid so I had to fill in the form and stuff anyway.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 17:44

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Great help everyone, many thanks.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 19:44

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.