KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Traffic Lights in Kuching - Need to be upgraded/changed
Home away from home
kksyong: There really isn't really any other solution to this problem, .... Even with such a solution you're bound to get poeple who will climb over the barriers or just complain about it

Dory: so if they get hit by a vehicle, they ask for it right?
let them complain. we can't please everybody.

kksyong: As for the overall traffic/public transport discussion,.... and impose frequent and heavier traffic fines (especially people parking on a yellow line!). .... such a solution I'm guessing majority of the cash will end up in someone's pocket instead of where its suppose to go.

dory:i find it such a laughing matter that everytime a fine is imposed, the police/gvt will later give discounts. sometimes on ground of bad economy and wants to help enlighten their burden. (what? in hope of winning more election votes?)

seriously, if they commit an offence, just FINE them. No discounts. teach the drivers a lesson and you will find less accidents on the road .

if u do not want the money to end up at wrong place, then u know who to vote at the next election eh? ;)

Posted on: 2009/2/15 21:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Terra
Quote:

kksyong wrote:

There really isn't really any other solution to this problem, apart from errecting solid barriers in the devide to discourage pedestrians from crossing the road dangerous and using the bridge instead. Even with such a solution you're bound to get poeple who will climb over the barriers or just complain about it

As for the overall traffic/public transport discussion, we had a similar discussion before on the board I believe? IMO best solution would be to increase road tax, decrease fuel subsidies and impose frequent and heavier traffic fines (especially people parking on a yellow line!). The money raised from this can then be funneled into better roads and improve public transport. Sadly though if they do come up with such a solution I'm guessing majority of the cash will end up in someone's pocket instead of where its suppose to go.

Yes, true, no matter what you do, if there's a faster option, people would take it; despite a 'safer' option just a five minute walk away. Suddenly, images of Mumbai's railway lines, 'pedestrians' crossing the lines and 'near collisions' comes to mind. There should be a proper enforcement of the 'jaywalking rule.'

And even if you increase road tax, decrease fuel subsidies and impose heavier traffic fines, out of those three, only one would be best for the current scenario, if you ask me. Imposing stricter fines, with public rewards for reporting corruption (e.g. fine waived if you report the officer who wanted you to 'negotiate') would work, but the other two, not so.

Even if you increase road tax and decrease subsidies, without offering the public other options or mode of transportation, it would be more of a burden to the public, as it would cost more for their daily commute. Higher road tax and no subsidies would work in places with excellent public transport (e.g. New York or Singapore) but not so in Kuching with out negligible public transport network.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 18:54

Just can't stay away
Quote:
dory:i find it such a laughing matter that everytime a fine is imposed, the police/gvt will later give discounts.

Apaprently you get a discount if you pay over the internet as well 50% off!

[Quote]Even if you increase road tax and decrease subsidies, without offering the public other options or mode of transportation, it would be more of a burden to the public, as it would cost more for their daily commute. Higher road tax and no subsidies would work in places with excellent public transport (e.g. New York or Singapore) but not so in Kuching with out negligible public transport network.[/Quote]

This is why I said the cash from these fines/tax increases should be injected into public transport/better road systems. Though as you said, we will need a good existing alternative to using our own cars before they start a price hike.

Sadly this still comes down to Kuching's population being too spread out to have any decent public transport without continual injection of cash into it. Virtually all public transport system in the world that are considered good are ones with a high population density. Unless the government is willing to fork up a substantial amount to maintain it, low populated towns/cities generally has a below average service/quality public service.

As for Jaywalking... is it illegal in Malaysia? I'm unsure of it since half of Malaysian law has similarities to British law, I'm guessing there might not be one since the UK does not have the jaywalking law (apart from N. Ireland). Then there's also the fact that there's hardly enough crossing in most of Malaysia for pesdestrians to cross , and even if they did it'll largely be ignored with typical Malaysian attitude :P

Posted on: 2009/2/16 19:16

Quite a regular
From Kuching
there's also another area that need traffic light systems is at stutong roundabout. almost everyday after office hours, sure traffic jam...long queue stretching from the bridge/petronas/new srb chung hua no2 to the roundabout until the road heading towards BDC/Airport Flyover. what they should consider is to get rid of the roundabout and install the traffic light. til' now still traffic jam along stutong roundabout and the jkr/govt didnt even care about removing the roundabout and then make into the traffic light junction. thus, this can make that area become less traffic jam. stupid and useless jkr ppl/govt :P

in fact, the whole stretch of jalan stutong (BDC) should be expanded into dual carriage (4 lanes) 'coz the main reason of traffic jam or slow traffic is due to the vehicles turning right into the housing area. very annoying and wasting time, somemore very hard to overtake the vehicles.

do u agree with this statement? need feedback from u all. cheers ;)

Posted on: 2009/2/16 22:42

Home away from home
From Terra
I especially agree with your last point, quadrille. There is quite a lot of reserve land on the last stretch of Jalan Stutong heading to the roundabout there. That area can be quite a mess sometimes, even after peak-hours. There is space for an expansion, and a traffic light, and with the Stutong Link road already being expanded (or is it already done?), they better set one up soon.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 22:49

Home away from home
mocha:... they better set one up soon.

dory: they wont know unless u tell them and write to them officially. the DBKS/DBKU are actually quite efficient compared to West M'sia.

if u tell them about it, they will actually look into the matter.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 22:53

Quite a regular
From Kuching
yes. they better set the traffic light at the stutong roundabout. since kuching so many roundabouts; not only small, but BIG roundabouts. imagine, a lot of space they use to make such BIG roundabout; can make into one big shopping mall or housing estates (especially roundabouts in Kota Samarahan/UNIMAS and Jalan Bako). what a stupid idea the jkr/govt did...from straight roads then making a roundabout. somemore, imagine a dual carriageway along Samarahan and Bako Expressway...suppose to be straight road all the way and suddenly from driving fast become driving slowly in the end due to the roundabout ahead. silly isn't it?

are u sure the MBKS/DBKU ppl are quite efficient? even if write letter or complain to them also no use. not only that, sometimes there are even no actions taken by them or they take years to consider or solve the problems...

the road along stutong link opposite oneTJ already sealed with tar (90-95% complete); open for traffic already but the road construction along the lions nursing home (new shortcut to Airport) still going on. i wonder what took them so long to finish widening the roads...

Posted on: 2009/2/17 11:40

Home away from home
quadrille: are u sure the MBKS/DBKU ppl are quite efficient? even if write letter or complain to them also no use. not only that, sometimes there are even no actions taken by them or they take years to consider or solve the problems...

dory: well, have u tried? that was the past isn't it? yes, they are efficient. Sometimes, it is not like u write 1 letter and they will start digging a traffic light immediately. it involves several chief's and several dept's approval.

So, your complaint must be channelled to the right person, the one making the decision. The best person to help you would be your constituency Rep.

Again, u need to consistently follow up. Not just write one letter and things will get done. There are many issues that they look into daily and your concern may get hidden at the bottom of the file.

If you get many people to sign your letter of petition for a change to be made to the roads in that area, then it will be more effective.

a) If it really gets to you as you are staying in the area, you may want to start off by making a phone call to the council and ask who is in charge for such issues for that area, then speak to them and see what they say.

I am sure many members in this forum will support you.

b) Does Borneo Post have a Letters to the Editor" section where you can voice your grouses?

c) Again, I am sure the PKR Rep in Kuching will be more than happy to help you look into such issues.

I guarantee you if you do all 3 things, your voices will be heard Loud & Clear!

Cheers!

Posted on: 2009/2/17 16:37

Quite a regular
From Kuching
sad news le...i dont think there's going to be a traffic light intersection at stutong (near OneTJ) where the stutong roundabout is situated 'coz yesterday i drove pass the stutong area...i saw new trees planted in the middle of the road divider (new dual carriageway where OneTJ is)...what a stupid idea this jkr ppl/govt. i have a feeling that this stutong roundabout is gonna be very, very jam in future..*sigh* i hope the traffic light will be installed at this intersection as soon as possible...:(

Posted on: 2009/2/19 16:03

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.