KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: UMNO's Discussion
Home away from home
The path KJ has taken is nothing new, it is the same path taken by Mahathir, Anwar and Najib in their ascension as Umno Youth leaders and that is to cast himself as a Malay ultra. For KJ, his ang-mo background ie Oxford education and Westernised upbringing necessitated this more than ever, as he was probably deemed not Malay enough. This explains all the idiotic statements as pointed out by Edgar, the support for Mat Rempits and the whole Ketuanan Melayu ideology.

Whether or not KJ was the cause of the BN's downfall in GE2008 is open for debate but he was definitely a factor and for that, I gleefully thank him for his part in bringing about this long-awaited upheaval in our nation's political scene.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 7:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From kuciang
Quote:

mochaholic wrote:
A post resurrected from the dead? And here I was thinking this is the return of Edgar.

Khairy Jamaluddin is a douche bag in every sense. Saw him a few times, and every time I do see him in social events, I feel like punching him, or if I can't do that, excuse myself and then hurl whatever I ate into the toilet. If you saw him on BBC World the other day, talking about democracy, about how one party has to lead the others, he speaks in such a condescending way, you just can't help but revel in the thought that perhaps because of him and his very demeanor, he could have single-handedly caused the downfall of Mr Smiley Face by being closely linked to him via familial ties.
if this fella gets to the top - hancur....

Posted on: 2008/4/16 8:24

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Quote:

mochaholic wrote:
A post resurrected from the dead? And here I was thinking this is the return of Edgar.

Khairy Jamaluddin is a douche bag in every sense. Saw him a few times, and every time I do see him in social events, I feel like punching him, or if I can't do that, excuse myself and then hurl whatever I ate into the toilet. If you saw him on BBC World the other day, talking about democracy, about how one party has to lead the others, he speaks in such a condescending way, you just can't help but revel in the thought that perhaps because of him and his very demeanor, he could have single-handedly caused the downfall of Mr Smiley Face by being closely linked to him via familial ties.

You saw him a few times? Man, prepare a cake next time....
[Don't do anything silly, eat as much choco cake if u can :P]

Open in new window

Posted on: 2008/4/16 10:11

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From Sydney
I'll just 'accidentally' spill steaming hot mocha and trip over causing my chocolate cake to splat on that expensive suit of his, then I'll go, "Oh, yes, you're that Khairy guy interviewed about democracy on BBC World, right? Yes, the camera was way to flattering on you."

Come to think of it, Nathan does have a point about politicos from across the sea. Those who are Western educated and have a Western upbringing tend to be a little more hardline in their policies. Tun Mahathir, I can excuse him, considering he was a doctor trained in University Malaya; but for a few others, going to the outside world and being exposed to all the different ideas should bring about a greater understanding, tolerance and a somewhat less hardline approach in handling the masses. An excuse of not being [ethnic group] enough could imply xenophobia and further increasing the 'I'm better than you' mentality.

Curious, though; despite their misgivings, politicos in Sarawak for the most part received tertiary education in Australia and New Zealand, yet do not subscribe to the hardline approach. Most embrace English, most embrace foreign ideas and most embrace the idea that we have to look beyond our borders and learn from others [read: Australia and our somewhat endearing love affair with Perth and Adelaide].

Posted on: 2008/4/16 10:22

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
It's kind of misleading (or shame) listening to him on the talks especially the one in al-jazeera with the si botak naz.

Video 1

Video 2

Instead, I think Malik is very much concise on his speech. You may noticed Teymoor Nabili got fed up with the 2 eventually.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 10:43

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
To make this thread more relevant to us, allow me to pose a few questions.

Why is Sarawak the only state where there's no UMNO presence?

Will this change and if so when?

What will the implications be for Sarawakians in general?

Posted on: 2008/4/16 14:54

Home away from home
From Terra
Quote:

nathan wrote:
To make this thread more relevant to us, allow me to pose a few questions.

Beware of what you ask. Such discussions have brought about the wrath of he who shall not be named. If not bringing upon such wrath, at the very least, the discussion will be of the utmost interest, passion and I daresay, bring about a certain superiority complex among some.

Quote:
Why is Sarawak the only state where there's no UMNO presence?

Something to do with Sarawak joining the Federation of Malaysia, I believe. I mean, honestly, UMNO itself stands for Malays, and if you consider Sarawak's population, no single ethnic group can lay claim to a large population majority as the three main groups, Iban, Chinese and Malays, are quite close demographically.

To the question why, I would suspect that in all probability, they would not gain enough support to obtain a leadership position, and furthermore, most of the political elite have been quite vocal about ensuring UMNO does not come over to Sarawak. Bring UMNO to Sarawak and they might lose the support of the very people who keep them in power in Federal Parliament.

Remember when there was a committee on bringing UMNO to Sarawak sometime last year? That brought about the irk, wrath and utter detestment of a majority of people I know. One friend called the sponsors 'traitors' while I am in the opinion that it would just serve the select few, and not the citizen's, self interest, as when one encourages them to come in, that someone will gain a hefty reward.

Quote:
Will this change and if so when?

This could change in the long run but I pray that it doesn't. Such an incident would severely harm the status quo, and to quote a good friend, "turn Kuching into a satellite of Kuala Lumpur, a colony for the UMNO elite to enjoy."

I only foresee a change when there is enough political turbulence for UMNO to necessitate a 'rescue plan' for Sarawak or when our leadership has become powerless against the encroaching advancement of the Federals trying to sap away the state's relative autonomy.

Quote:
What will the implications be for Sarawakians in general?

A friend of mine in Sabah laments the day when the Sabah leadership crumbled, a crisis was looming and their leaders gave the state of Sabah, our partner in Federation, to West Malaysia and UMNO, on a silver platter. Despite him grieving over the loss of Sabah's pride, he nonetheless, together with his family, joined UMNO, as all the other parties have lost their fangs and had no idea what they stood for.

Assuming UMNO comes to Sarawak, the first thing that I believe they would aim for would be to abolish our bizarre immigration procedure for West Malaysians, rewriting laws allowing West Malaysians to own landed property all over the state with no restriction whatsoever and perhaps, and this I am sure of, bring about an 'Islamic Renaissance,' encouraging fundamentalist Islamic ideas, fostering increasing conservatism and pretty much making out dear kolo mee and kway chap seller go underground to supply us with our pork fix.

Despite all that, I'm sure you have noticed that since UMNO came to Sabah, KK has grown, to the point where it even rivals Kuching in every sense. They would for sure buck up the capital as a symbol of economic progress under UMNO's leadership, yet the problem is that the other cities of Sibu, Miri and Bintulu might be neglected. If you observe the other states, their capitals are raised to lofty heights but what of the secondary state cities of Muar, Klang or Sandakan? Chances are, development would be concentrated to the capital city, merely passing on scraps to the outlying centres.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 15:27

Home away from home
Quote:

Mocha wrote:
Beware of what you ask. Such discussions have brought about the wrath of he who shall not be named. If not bringing upon such wrath, at the very least, the discussion will be of the utmost interest, passion and I daresay, bring about a certain superiority complex among some.

Lost me here...are you talking about a member of this forum or someone in real life?

Quote:
...most of the political elite have been quite vocal about ensuring UMNO does not come over to Sarawak. Bring UMNO to Sarawak and they might lose the support of the very people who keep them in power in Federal Parliament.

I know of at least two prominent leaders who have advocated UMNO coming to Sarawak, coupled with the current political climate in West Malaysia, I think things will change sooner rather than later. The political disturbance you're talking about is imminent, how long can Taib hold on in all seriousness?

I share your views on the implications of UMNO setting up shop here and shudder at the very thought of 'underground' kolok mee. You might as well just kill me...

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:28

Home away from home
From Terra
Quote:

nathan wrote:
Quote:

Mocha wrote:

Lost me here...are you talking about a member of this forum or someone in real life?

My apologies, it would apply to both in the forum or in real life; perhaps less here in the forum, but more so if this was ever in a public arena. Such a discussion coupled with our very strong opinions would undoubtly to a degree incur the wrath of he who shall not be named.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:57

Home away from home
Quote:

Mocha wrote:
My apologies, it would apply to both in the forum or in real life; perhaps less here in the forum, but more so if this was ever in a public arena. Such a discussion coupled with our very strong opinions would undoubtly to a degree incur the wrath of he who shall not be named.

OIC, well in that case, given that this is indeed an online forum and given that HWSNBM is probably too important/busy/inapt to read online chatter from mere commoners such as ourselves, I'll continue to give my 2 sen's worth without fear or favour.

The crux of the whole matter is this : the minute UMNO comes in, there will no longer be any reason for PBB to exist would there?

Posted on: 2008/4/17 9:25

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.