tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: UMNO's Discussion
Home away from home
From Terra
I still think there would be a reason for PBB to exist, as UMNO would not allow other ethnic groups apart from themselves to enter. PBB would still be there, but the 'commanding' presence it once had would be a mere shadow of what it would be when UMNO comes in.

So, if and when UMNO does step foot on Sarawak's fair shores, PBB would lose a degree of influence, unless their leaders decide to do something to stem the tide. The Ibans, Bidayuhs and others would still need a place to park themselves, and while SUPP may be open to all, it is still a Chinese-majority, while PRS just doesn't come with the same feeling. You would not expect the Dayaks to join UMNO, now would you?

Posted on: 2008/4/17 9:47

Home away from home
Although UMNO sees itself as Malay nationalist and conservative representing the Malays of Malaysia, strictly speaking any Bumiputra may join the party. I think the only way for UMNO to enter into our state is for the Sarawakian native parties to agree to disband and then become UMNO Sarawak. In that scenario, there will no longer be any need for PBB.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 10:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Quote:

nathan wrote:
UMNO Sarawak

I don't think locals would want that to happen.
It's a state of native transgression. I think.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 10:21

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From Terra
I seriously doubt if our native parties would ever disband just to allow UMNO to come in. While it may be open to Bumiputras, are Bumiputras on the same level as Malays? Most of the Bumiputras in Sarawak I know beg to differ, as even though they are classified as Bumiputras by being Iban and Bidayuh, they tend to be skipped aside to make room for the Malays. I have no intention of sparking anything with this statement, just pointing out an observation.

While there is a possibility that PBB might be phased out, I really doubt it. If you were an Iban or Bidayuh, and forced to join UMNO Sarawak while disbanding your own PBB, would you? Being an Iban and joining a group calling itself United Malays would be akin to suicide for some, even though it may be open to all 'Bumiputras.'

If UMNO Sarawak does indeed come into being, I can almost foresee mass demonstrations and even, God forbid, flag burning in the streets of Kuching. Would the Dayaks relinquish their parties just to be in cahoots with UMNO? Hard chance.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 10:28

Home away from home
One of the reasons PBB has been able to stay in power is through fear-mongering tactics of UMNO coming into Sarawak. So long as PBB is strong, UMNO will stay out, at least that's how the rhetoric goes. Nonetheless, after the recent general election I think UMNO has enough things to worry about than spreading its wings to Sarawak.

On the issue of party-hopping, I don't mean to offend anyone but I am of the view that the Dayaks and Ibans will be the first to hop so long as the price is right. And from recent developments, the offer seems likely to be coming from someone who was as good as buried a decade ago. Anwar has 5 states now but he doesn't have the financial resources. For now. Give him some time then he will be able to make them an offer that they cannot possibly refuse. Stuff more federal cabinet representation! Fancy a Dayak Deputy PM?

Posted on: 2008/4/17 11:05

Home away from home
From Terra
More Federal Cabinet representation? A Dayak Deputy PM? Sounds tempting, providing they actually do proper work to help the state. Nonetheless, interesting points, but party hopping, those are in the elite, most of the normal ones, I doubt if they would go around hopping like rabbits. They're more like cats, sitting down, moving their heads as a bird flies to and fro.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 11:27

Home away from home
Well the cats better wake up and smell the roses. Anything would be better than their current situation of disunity. Taib has successfully divided and conquered the Dayaks that you can find them in PBB, SUPP, SPDP, PRS, SNAP, STAR and even PKR. What is PRS hogging the headlines in our local dailies for? Stupid power struggles and internal fightings. What about SPDP? Everyone knows that Mawan is remote-controlled by Tiong King Sing. Fact of the matter is both SPDP and PRS have wortheless leaders and are mosquito component parties of BN whereas SNAP and STAR are just toothless opposition parties. Over in PBB and SUPP, the best position for the Dayaks are being the deputies and assistants. It's really sad because if anyone should rule Sarawak, it should be the Dayaks.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 11:54

Home away from home
From Terra
Yes, it would be good for the Dayaks to rule Sarawak, and Taib by virtue of birth is a Melanau making him by default, a Dayak albeit a Muslim one.

However, how does bringing UMNO to our shores make the situation any better? In fighting is common in every scene, though I hate to admit that somehow, assuming UMNO does indeed come, it would have a somewhat galvanizing effect, yes? Putting aside their differences on who should be class president and making a stand saying "no, we'll manage by ourselves, thank you very much."

Not all the Dayaks within PBB or SUPP are deputies or assistants, some are full fledged ministers, federal or not; some do have a degree of power, but considering the ratio, it is awfully small.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 12:02

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
2 bad we don't have a few self-made billionare who can really contribute to local's economy, creating new jobs opportunities, economies, and proactive government; I wonder if our state are strong enough to declare self-independence so long if the lord-o-wh does not exist, eliminating all parties connected to the above mentioned organisation. I'm kind of defiance when it comes to one's vanquish over the country. Ew... those scarce elites.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 12:39

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
Quote:

Mocha wrote:
However, how does bringing UMNO to our shores make the situation any better?

It won't, I was talking about the possibility of the Dayaks leading the way in hopping over to greener pastures when Pakatan Rakyat comes a-callin'. Digressed abit from the thread's topic.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 14:18

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.