tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Wi-Fi and Hot Spot - ???
Home away from home
From Australia
What is the difference?

I know if there is a Wi-Fi connection, you can actually connect to the network and use the internet.

What about Hot Spot? I know if there is a Hot Spot you can connect to the network but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can use the internet when connected?

Why is that? What do I need to do to get connected to the internet while I am at the hot spot?

Posted on: 2007/11/30 12:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Wi-Fi and Hot Spot - ???
Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Basically you need a wi-fi card / wi-fi enabled laptop to access the hot spot. The term hot spot means you can acquire free internet connection as stated.

Free incoming services (where your wi-fi signal is on) from the ISPs / shop owners (usually unsecured connection) in city area are rarely used as most required a security pin / passphrase, username / password to connect their device to the router - and connected to the internet for the means of security issue.

However, there are other terms for hot spot as well, bluetooth hot spot connections.. in which you can download certain data from that particular location - where no internet connection is accessible.

In Singapore, some of the bus provided such service for FREE. Whenever a song was being broadcast on TV, you'll be able to download it into your handheld, just switch on your bluetooth and start downloading the song automatically. Brilliant!

Study more here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotspot_(Wi-Fi)

Posted on: 2007/11/30 13:33

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From Australia
Still not clear enough, I went to a local public area today with my laptop hopeful that I could utilised their free Hotspot services.

But the service desk told me that they only provide hotspot services, in which there are no internet connection. They said I have to sign up with an ISP that provide such services.

Wtf? I started to get confused, that's why I didn't ask her to explain further to me at the time, cause I don't think she knows this issue that well either.

Posted on: 2007/11/30 21:08

Quite a regular
From Adelaide, South Australia
Yeah Edgar that's totally BS, a hotspot generally means a connection to a wireless access point. For them to 'advertise' that they have a hotspot but not internet services is pretty much useless. Unless you just happened to walk into the shop and accidentally discovered their wap... then of course you're not going to be able to get online with it.

Where were you may i ask?

Posted on: 2008/1/10 9:01

Home away from home
From Boston
Quote:

edgar wrote:
Still not clear enough, I went to a local public area today with my laptop hopeful that I could utilised their free Hotspot services.

But the service desk told me that they only provide hotspot services, in which there are no internet connection. They said I have to sign up with an ISP that provide such services.

Wtf? I started to get confused, that's why I didn't ask her to explain further to me at the time, cause I don't think she knows this issue that well either.

If i'm not mistaken, its tmnet hotspot. you have to have an account and pay for every minute you use. So.. its not free.. did you try logging on the hotspot service? did they direct you to a log in page from tm net?

unless you go to some place which says "free internet" or "free wifi" and all those then it is quite sure that the internet access is free.

most probably the "free hotspot" you are taking about is just a marketing gimmick.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 9:40

Home away from home
From Australia
It was the State Library of South Australia.

Hotspot with no internet, wtf.

So what do I need to do in order to use internet in this 'hotspot' area?

Posted on: 2008/1/10 10:48

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Quote:

edgar wrote:

Perhaps their ISP is blocking guest / anonynmous users from using it. Registered members have the access or wat?

Usually we can access internet via hostpot. Your case... well.. I duno what to say... :D

Posted on: 2008/1/10 11:24

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Quite a regular
From Adelaide, South Australia
Quote:

edgar wrote:

Ahh that's retarded. Anyhow, i think it's so you can get to the SA library intranet site and use their library catalogue system. If you wanna get out onto the web u gotta use their stupid terminals (and book it to, or u'll get computer raged lol)

Posted on: 2008/1/10 17:05

Home away from home
From Australia
I might as well just go for the new HSDPA Mobile Broadband since they are so cheap right now!

Posted on: 2008/1/11 6:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]