teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: How to get to Kuching?
Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
Quote:

kiko wrote:
kuching is a big city indeed but less people..we spread all over..

To other states, Kuching is counted small and you can easily find anyone you want to know in Kuching. Kuching is like a cute little cat that goes Meow~~~!

Posted on: 2008/2/19 12:53

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Quote:

gerald wrote:

What does that imply? backpackers cannot go to proper hotels and must stay in backpackers hotel!?

oh i take back my word, oh sure u can.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 13:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From sarawak
Quote:

QAE8687 wrote:
Quote:

kiko wrote:

To other states, Kuching is counted small and you can easily find anyone you want to know in Kuching. Kuching is like a cute little cat that goes Meow~~~!

tat is my point actually..due to our low population, we tend to meet each other anywhere we go since there is less people and less place to hang out.But if u look at the size, kuching is very big.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 15:09

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
Quote:

kiko wrote:
Quote:

QAE8687 wrote:
Quote:

kiko wrote:

tat is my point actually..due to our low population, we tend to meet each other anywhere we go since there is less people and less place to hang out.But if u look at the size, kuching is very big.

Yeah very big in terms of shophouses! Kakakaka... What a wasted land making shophouses that so many people don't buy at all! You can see like MJC, so many shops that didn't sell out!

Posted on: 2008/2/19 18:16

Home away from home
Quote:

monce wrote:
Hello everyone!
I'm a new member... would like to know how to get to Kuching from Jakarta (I live in Jakarta). Is there a direct flight? Or do I have to go to KL first then take a connecting flight? Is there an airport in Kuching? What's the best route? Any suggestions?

Sorry for these questions... I planning to visit Kuching maybe next month.

Thanx in advance!

G'day monce...

The fastest way to get to Kuching from Jakarta is by Batavia Air transiting in Pontianak. When the airplane landed in Pontianak, you have to transfer from domestic terminal to international terminal (which is just a few step away) to get your passport stamped.

If you are holding Passport isssued in Pontianak, Batam, Riau and Jambi or overseas residence, you may get away from paying the exit tax (fiskal) of IDR 1 million (per person), other wise be prepare to pay the tax. Kuching has one of the best airport in the region, and if you bring your laptop, you can access the free wi-fi available in the airport.

Or if you prefer a more exotic route, after landing in Pontianak from Jakarta you can then catch a 9.00 PM bus from Jalan Sisingamangaraja (SJS, Sri Merah, EVA), Jalan Pahlawan (Damri), Jalan Tanjungpura (I forgot the bus company), Jalan Diponegoro (Tebakang) to Kuching. The journey will take you approximately 8 hours including rest-stop and border checkpoints. It will cost you about between IDR 200K (executive class) ~ IDR 300K (super executive class: bigger chair, bigger space). Exit tax regulation be the same as by air, except that it is cheaper (IDR 250 K per person). But I also heard that they are now exempting everyone from paying the exit tax (including Jakarta passport holder), but I have not pass the land border for so many years so I can not confirm the rumour.

If you decide to take the bus, don't forget to take a long your jacket, sweater and head cover or a blanket. Most of the buses put their air-con on full use, thus it can get very cold when you are trying to sleep.

Kuching is a clean and nice city (small for Jakarta's standard). It lack a good public transport, so a good option is either hire a taxi that charge daily or buy a decent map (periplus map, maybe) and a rent a car. Kuching is quite a nice city to drive around as long as you follow the road regulation (Don't drive like the way you drive in Indonesia here, or you might get yourself in trouble).

Your Indonesian driving license will be accepted by most car rental company.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 11:36

Edited by Downsouth on 2008/2/20 12:04:57

Home away from home
Oh, by the way...if you are travelling with your family, I would suggest you to rent a service apartment rather than stay in hotel. I have tried sommerset near the city centre, they are quite nice. I booked it thru:

http://www.cuti.com.my/

or maybe the local forum members can give you a better advice.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 11:38

Home away from home
From sarawak
Quote:

QAE8687 wrote:
Quote:

kiko wrote:
Quote:

QAE8687 wrote:
Quote:

kiko wrote:

Yeah very big in terms of shophouses! Kakakaka... What a wasted land making shophouses that so many people don't buy at all! You can see like MJC, so many shops that didn't sell out!

wat did u expect them to build if not shophouses?hundreds of mall?there are still vacant land for building any other commercial purposes like mall, houses.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 16:49

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
Kiko: Since there left so many unwanted shophouses, why build so many? Try to go MJC and have a look. What do you see? Is it fully occupied? No it's not!

There are still about 50% of shophouses in MJC are unable to sell off. Even some investors are trying to sell off their property over there because they can't make any profit at all. Like my step father, he invested two unit of shophouses, thought that he could make a future profit by renting it to people and prices of the units may rise up, who knows it's not making any profit yet nobody wants to rent it and ending up leaving the units empty.

So, he sold off 1 unit and leaving 1 unit and luckily, currently is being rented by some karaoke owner, I'm not sure about that. What do you say about that? The government should not waste this type of unnecessary cost of developing this shophouses. What's the point of developing so many shophouses in Kuching that no people wants to buy?!

I do not mean that they should go for hundreds over of shopping malls but they should think twice but not wasting such a huge land over shophouses that looks so cheap! I'm living there nearby and I'm quite pissed off to be honest and finally that's my opinion too!

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:21

Home away from home
From sarawak
its not the gov decision to build or not top build shophouses.its the private sector initiative. Do u think 101 premier and mjc is being instructed by the gov to build all those crappy shopuhouses there?No!its the developer itself.if u have any clicks or nearest person in the construction firm, try to advice them.as for the gov, for sure they are the one who give the green light for such a development.however, due to no other alternative, so they will let them build it as if they stop it, tats means they are stopping the commercial development and that will make kuching look so dull if there are only forest and empty land all over.

As in the case of mjc, its a long term planning.houses, apartments and condo are being built there.With these population, business will sprout there and these shophouses will be useful for the business purposes.

U said the shophouses look cheap,maybe u mean due to their age.but it the owner initiative to paint and make renovation to their shophouses.DBKU and MBKS have everytime especially when it comes to national day advice shophouses to paint their shop so it will not look ugly.

KL old CBD is also full of shohouses.Bangsar is also full of shophouses.only the new kl CBD is not full of shophouses as the developer there know the potential of building high rise condominium and office block to cater for high end investor need. But if u ever go to seri kembangan, serdang, nilai,& etc, more shophouses was also being built.

KK is one of the city with low shophouses before. Therefore, if u look there, less business take place.However, they are also gearing up to build more shophouses.Opposite 1 borneo is a large commercial centre will blocks of shophouses.Its all empty!

Posted on: 2008/2/21 7:57

Home away from home
From Australia
Why is it not the government's responsibility? They have development planner panels who should have made aware of these problems.

But no, they are more than happy to re-create another attempt for a new high density commercial area, the Isthmus. The mistake from the MJC is still evident, the creation of another high density township may not always work.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 9:27

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.