tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24
Sponsored 2

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Why Travel?
Home away from home
From Sydney
Has anyone travelled alone before? Visiting places and other countries solo?

If you have travelled, where's the best place you've been?
And where do you most want to go?

I love Paris but I went there with my parents and that was a drag. Family holidays are not as fun when you want to enjoy the Parisien nightlife, enjoy the cafes and eat escargot; but your parents insist on dragging you for a Seine cruise, Lourve trip to the Mona Lisa and eating in one of the best Cambodian restaurants outside Cambodia. I may have been old enough to take care of myself and can vote, but family holidays means sticking to the family plan.

My last trip to Bali was done alone. Normally go there with friends, but last month, went there solo and I explored more and learned so much by myself, than a whole week with my best friends. I do not count my KL or other trips on official business as solo holidays.

Plan to do Vietnam or Berlin solo next. Frankfurt solo was cool, but my bad German impeded me in exploring more.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 23:29

Re: Why Travel?
Home away from home
From Kch
I haven't had much luxury of travelling alone. But been to places in [Western] Australia alone, when I was a student there. Trips to the Eastside had always been with friends.

Also, I go to Singapore every year since 2005 for one week, and despite going there with a group (for a one-day exam), I'm always out on my own during the day. Then hanging out with my S'porean friends in the night when they finish work.

Depending on the destination, the idea of solo travel or group travel can both be very appealing. Personally, if I'm new to a place, I'd prefer to be with people I know (preferably friends) so that we can share thoughts on the exciting things we do / see / etc.

However, if it's going to be a second trip or an-already familiar place, I'd very much prefer to go around on my own. 'Cause I don't want to do 'touristy' stuff anymore but instead, I want to explore the place at a more local vantage, going off the beaten tourist path, if you like.

I'd very much like to visit S.Korea again. And instead of confining myself to Seoul (and the northern parts), I'd like to visit the southern part of the peninsula, especially Busan and Suncheon.

Other destinations that I wouldn't mind to do solo travelling:
Japan - have friends in Osaka and Nagoya whom I can stay with
USA - California specifically.. friends in Bay Area and LA

I'd reserve Europe for travelling with close or special interest friends. Hehe. Two close pals and I had been planning for a Trans-Siberian Rail journey since goodness knows when, and it has yet to materialize. Kinda difficult to plan now that I'm here and they're in Sydney and Tokyo respectively.

Probably the biggest impediment to travelling now is work and the lack of time off. -_-

Posted on: 2008/3/10 1:20

Edited by Fuyu on 2008/3/10 1:37:19
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Kuching
I may not mind to travel alone if I were desperate for travelling to certain destination. However, I'll will still choose to travel with some companies, perhaps friends or family, it would be a lot cooler.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 1:24

Home away from home
From Sydney
Oh, USA, yes, have to go to Boston, definitely alone. Promised friends I'd pop by say hello.

When in Seoul, did you need a guide or translator? Was considering South Korea but had a language barrier fear. Did Turkey with mum, weirdly enough my French came to good use there with the restaurant owners and hotel managers.

While going with family and friends might be cool, my last trip to Melbourne was done without them. Flew in with friends, but while they went to Mt Buller and The Twelve Apostles, I was too busy spending my time alone in South Yarra and the art galleries. It's hard to decide who should go where when, so we decided to split. We shared the hotel suite but after breakfast and before dinner, we all went out separate ways.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 19:15

Home away from home
From Kch
Quote:

mochaholic wrote:

When in Seoul, did you need a guide or translator? Was considering South Korea but had a language barrier fear. Did Turkey with mum, weirdly enough my French came to good use there with the restaurant owners and hotel managers.

Joined an 8-day tour thingee that covered two provinces in the north (Gyeonggi - where Seoul is and Gangwon) so had a guide. However, I was out on my own when we were in Seoul to meet up with friends. Erm, I know enough Korean (although broken) to get by for that short while. A funny incident was when I was on the subway back to my hotel, a couple of drunken USFK soldiers tried to chat me up in broken Korean. I guess we Asians all look the same.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 19:48

Home away from home
From Kuching
Quote:

Fuyu wrote:
Quote:

mochaholic wrote:

Joined an 8-day tour thingee that covered two provinces in the north (Gyeonggi - where Seoul is and Gangwon) so had a guide. However, I was out on my own when we were in Seoul to meet up with friends. Erm, I know enough Korean (although broken) to get by for that short while. A funny incident was when I was on the subway back to my hotel, a couple of drunken USFK soldiers tried to chat me up in broken Korean. I guess we Asians all look the same.

Oriental people look all the same. They can't tell whichever is a Chinese, Korean or Japanese and sometimes neither can't we too.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 20:06

Home away from home
From Sydney
Fuyu was chat up by US marines? Trust me, between soldiers and middle-aged ladies, you have it better.

Though I have to disagree that not all Asians look alike. It really isn't too hard to differentiate Chinese, Hong Kong, Korean, Japanese, Malaysians, Thai, Filipino and Indonesians from my experience.

We all have subtle differences that make us different. The Japanese eyes, Korean facial structures, Filipino skin tone, the Thai look. I can still differentiate between a Scotsman, a Frenchman and an Italian with some ease.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 20:17

Home away from home
From Sydney
Considering I don't know Korean at all, I better learn some phrases if I do make about going there. The beauty of going to a foreign country knowing merely the basics of words is just to get about and attempt to have fun doing it.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 20:19

Home away from home
From Kch
Oh I can tell the differences between the different Asian races and I almost always got people's race correct even as I met them for the first time. I was just referring to the American solidiers and their ignorance.

mocha: you should learn Korean. It ought to be useful, not only for trips to Korea, but also useful here and in Sydney.. Do you happen to stay anywhr near Strathfield? :P

Basic greeting that everyone should know.. An-nyong-ha-se-yo! (Hello!)
....and if the Koreans are encouraged by that from you and start to speak to you in Korean.. just say "Moreugesso yo" (Moh-roo-ges-so-yo - I don't understand) and shake your head.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 22:30
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
If I have plans to travel, the only reason is that I'm totally stress out and going to explode soon! LOL!!! But that never happens... Kakakaka!!!

Posted on: 2008/3/10 22:33

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]