tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24
Sponsored 2

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Why Travel?
Home away from home
From Sydney
I had the best Italian in La Lucciola over at Seminyak! Dim Sum in Sydney tastes better than the one in The Curve KL, and of all places, Cambodian food is really, really nice in Paris.

Goes to show the best food around can be found in the weirdest of places.

I usually get hauled up in Nusa Dua and we always explore around Bali, but we never ever go in a package tour. At most, we just use the tour desk to arrange for transport to and fro. Otherwise, we'll explore by foot.

My best was when I went diving off Tanjong Benoa and I had a personalised tour of the reef with the divemaster. Just me, the divemaster and the little fishies.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 13:56

Home away from home
From Kch
But.. have you tasted Cambodian food in Cambodia? >_>
Maybe the version in Paris is adjusted to suit Western palates.
Never eaten Cambodian cuisine before.... but some of the dishes look similar to Vietnamese.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 14:28
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Sydney
I'm not sure if Cambodian cuisine in the hotel actually counts...but Meridien Angkor has a really good chef.

The food I tried in Paris was different than what I had in Siem Reap. I had roadside noodle soup in Siem Reap and rice dishes with chicken in Paris.

That place in Paris was all Cambodia, from the art and design to menu and staff. Somewhere near Gare du Nord, forgot the name but I do remember the entrance has a large Buddha head.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 14:33

Home away from home
From Kch
I usually doubt hotel food.
Nothing beats eating out, esp at hawker stalls or streetside vendors, for the real gastronomical and cultural experience. :P

Posted on: 2008/3/11 14:52
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman

Home away from home
From Sydney
True, but I might draw the line of eating hawker food in India. A few friends have been there, and they all seem to have stomachache after eating something along the roadside.

I guess as long as you take the usual precautions and cleanliness awareness, you should be fine. Hotel food is comfortable and relatively safe, hawker food can be adventurous and challenging for the uninitiated.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:06

Home away from home
From Kuching
That's the problem with being on someone else's schedule. Sometimes you have no choice. But I'm glad we took off on our own during our free time.

Mango sticky rice in Bangkok!

Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:28

Home away from home
From Sydney
I remember getting purposely lost in Auckland, with a map, just to see what I would find. Found a nice little alley with lots of good cafes, great boutiques and a tiny bookshop selling old second hand books.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:37

Home away from home
From Kch
Ever tried durian sticky rice?
Had that in Singapore... dun quite remember where tho. Friend drove.
Let's just say.. it was definitely different.. xP

Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:41

Home away from home
From Sydney
I'll just go for normal sticky rice...with pandan. I might go for some Turkish Delight though.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:48

Home away from home
From Kch
While we're on the topic of 'exotic' foods... anyone who's going to or is in Singapore... DO try the ice creams at Daily Scoop, Sunset Arcade, Clementi. TRY the Chocolate Chili. It tastes like normal choc for seconds.. then u'll feel the chili~ And no, it doesn't taste like wasabi ice cream. It's not as bad as it sounds, tho!

Posted on: 2008/3/11 23:47

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]