tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Tourism In Kuching
Just can't stay away
From London UK
It's always a different matter of attracting locals vs tourists to the attractions at hand. Look at London with the wealth of buildings and museums to visit, yet, as a local, the last time I went to St. Paul's Cathedral, for example, must have been over 20 years ago and yet it's on most tourist's 'must see' list.

For my part, I love the nature and diversity in Sarawak. As Mocha said, where can you only travel 30k from a city yet have to take a boat to a national park which is so isolated, when we were there it felt as if we were the only people on earth! Add to that the attractions of the city itself, the waterfront and now the shopping at the Spring, you have yourselves a great place to visit.

I think Kuchingites are rather too dismissive of the great place they live in!

Posted on: 2008/5/2 20:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Kuchingites likes to make comparison with the places they visited before which they think is nice. and they like to have it here in Kuching.

I for someone who likes to travel around , thinks that Kuching tourism is still very underdeveloped. Potential- Yes. Developed- No.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 21:21

Home away from home
From Kuching
Quote:

happytile wrote:
It's always a different matter of attracting locals vs tourists to the attractions at hand. Look at London with the wealth of buildings and museums to visit, yet, as a local, the last time I went to St. Paul's Cathedral, for example, must have been over 20 years ago and yet it's on most tourist's 'must see' list.

For my part, I love the nature and diversity in Sarawak. As Mocha said, where can you only travel 30k from a city yet have to take a boat to a national park which is so isolated, when we were there it felt as if we were the only people on earth! Add to that the attractions of the city itself, the waterfront and now the shopping at the Spring, you have yourselves a great place to visit.

I think Kuchingites are rather too dismissive of the great place they live in!

Wow, St. Paul's Cathedral, sounds gigantic to me. Never know how it looks like. Nevertheless, I do pass by the St. Paul, almost everyday because I got to cross that road to reach my house. Well, the St. Paul opposite the Wisma Saberkas... hehe...

Posted on: 2008/5/2 22:01

Home away from home
From Kuching
Quote:

webbie wrote:
Kuchingites likes to make comparison with the places they visited before which they think is nice. and they like to have it here in Kuching.

I for someone who likes to travel around , thinks that Kuching tourism is still very underdeveloped. Potential- Yes. Developed- No.

Kuching is unique, trust me. We don't have to be real developed to be famous. We have some unique culture, nature, and other attractions. Kuching is still one of the cleanest and healthiest cities in the world. But, if it's going to be a trade off for the development and modernisation, it will be trivial and pathetic, despite I like the development and modernisation.

Perhaps civilisation must be achieved first, then the development and modernisation will be achieved along together. Ethical judgement in this field must always be existent.

Look at London, Beijing and Los Angeles. Despite the cities are developed and modernised, they sufferred the greatest pollution among the cities in the world.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 22:06

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
I don't mean develop as in big cities with energy wasting billboards. I mean developed as in bringing the most out of the existing potential in the current tourism we have now.

Many things can be done. build something in the city to attract more tourist.

There are more caves off Kuching, other than just Wind, Fairy Cave.

Trying checking out the tourist agency in Kuching, ask them for a local tour. Of all the 8 agencies I visited, all of them offered the same package and tour.

They would bring you to Sarawak river cruise, Semenggoh Orang Utan Sanctuary, Croc Farm, pottery factory, wind cave, fairy cave, cultural village, annahrais bidayuh longhouse, matang wild life center, north/south city tour.

Other places further would be Lemanak and bako which may need overnight stay. and seriously thats all there is in the tourism brochure.

What happen to Sematan, Ching San Yan temple on top of the hill, Buntal, Bau Town, Lundu, Borneo Highland, Satang island, Serian, Ranchan Pool etc etc ...

Cultural village would be the artificial place where you can see people in natives clothes. Go to the real native village / kampung and you see them wearing manchester united jersey and watching astro. If you really want to see those natives who are preserving the culture heritage, unspoiled ones, you will need to trek deep into the jungle of borneo. Those people are still around and living in poverty. This resource is according to a friend of mine who works for the Sarawak Forestry Department.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 22:44

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Quote:

webbie wrote:

... Ching San Yan temple on top of the hill, ...

Okay, what's with the kampung kampung parking fee gangster collection? They showed off some sign with their hands and assumed you've followed their direction of parking, fees given thereafter. If not, they'll scratch your car.. -.-'

Posted on: 2008/5/3 1:15

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Quote:

bytez wrote:

Okay, what's with the kampung kampung parking fee gangster collection? They showed off some sign with their hands and assumed you've followed their direction of parking, fees given thereafter. If not, they'll scratch your car.. -.-'

have u actually been there yourself? and when was the last time u been there? I had been going there ever since childhood for every chinese new year.

the people there are nice and friendly. they even let u park ur car at their house and pay anything as u like. rm2 will do.

there are no parking fees, only entrance fee. they setup a toll area, the ppl there will volunteer to coordinate the traffic flow and parking as thousands of cars and ppl will be coming and go.

and it is only collected during chinese new year. on casual visit, they won't collect anything if i am not mistaken. money collected is both for the kampung and the temple which co exist in the same area uniquely.

money collected previously had contributed in building a school in the kampung. how good is that.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 1:44

Home away from home
From Kuching
Quote:

webbie wrote:
Quote:

bytez wrote:

have u actually been there yourself? and when was the last time u been there? I had been going there ever since childhood for every chinese new year.

the people there are nice and friendly. they even let u park ur car at their house and pay anything as u like. rm2 will do.

there are no parking fees, only entrance fee. they setup a toll area, the ppl there will volunteer to coordinate the traffic flow and parking as thousands of cars and ppl will be coming and go.

and it is only collected during chinese new year. on casual visit, they won't collect anything if i am not mistaken. money collected is both for the kampung and the temple which co exist in the same area uniquely.

money collected previously had contributed in building a school in the kampung. how good is that.

Ya lo, they also take care of our car mah... Further more just RM2 its alright, for them to earn extra, why not right? Becasue we are parking at their place.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 9:44

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
webbie wrote:
Quote:

Been there last year (not chinese new year) but found the same thing happened again. :/ However, there are still some samseng kids around doing such threats la... or maybe situations change this year.. hmm..

Posted on: 2008/5/3 10:59

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
I go there every year and never experience such occurrence. that would be the 1st time i heard of such incident also.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 11:02

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.