KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

GPS in East Malaysia
Home away from home
GPS is not new and most people in KL has this device in their car. It's very useful especially if u drive into a new place, like driving in Singapore. I don't know how many forumers here has already use this device, whether along with car accessories or be it in a mobile. There are quite a number of device which i know that support east malaysian map and one of them is Gophers. I'm not sure whether Nokia Navigator has EM map. My question is whether we are ready to use GPS as a navigator in East Malaysia and how reliable is this device here. Is it depend on the product?

Posted on: 2008/9/30 11:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: GPS in East Malaysia
Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Quote:

kapiskum wrote:
GPS is not new and most people in KL has this device in their car. It's very useful especially if u drive into a new place, like driving in Singapore. I don't know how many forumers here has already use this device, whether along with car accessories or be it in a mobile. There are quite a number of device which i know that support east malaysian map and one of them is Gophers. I'm not sure whether Nokia Navigator has EM map. My question is whether we are ready to use GPS as a navigator in East Malaysia and how reliable is this device here. Is it depend on the product?

Yes East malaysia is ready to use GPS specifically in Kuching. I've downloaded Sarawak Map on my iphone and looks like Google map have full details on Kuching (Sarawak). Other states like Sibu, Bintulu, Miri have limited source/info but still viable on the map. Talk about GPS in the car, currently GARMIN is very popular among drivers in Singapore. As regard of Nokia, you can check this out.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 11:45

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
GPS would be popular if it's ergonomically integrated with the car system & convenient to use. when you go into the car, start the engine the screen light up and ask where are you going, you set the direction and then just follow the instruction to go there.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 11:58

Home away from home
There are quite a number of freeware map available, but it's not compatible with all devices. BTW, is there any fees charged to use GPS? Or is it one time registration?

Posted on: 2008/9/30 12:15

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
Usually, it's a one time thing. usually if there is new map can download & update file mark?

Posted on: 2008/9/30 12:18

Home away from home
From Kuchingite
would prefer a japanese kawaii girl voice to navigate...

Posted on: 2008/9/30 12:18

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
GPS is global positioning device without maps and navigation it just gives u the long and late of device location. GPS is free to use, as the satellite constantly transmit their location in space down to earth. then the GPS device collects these streams of data from multiple satellites and triangulate the location to long and late.

ur topic should read, GPS Navigation in EM~ haha!

Navigation wise never tried gOphers, sounds like a fun device. Garmin devices are quiet popular in Malaysia.

@kapis in your #4 your refering to GPS navigation device, or for PC or for handphones ?

Posted on: 2008/9/30 12:44

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
GPS is free as long as you have your maps downloaded (data) into your device. Otherwise, you have to pay the data per kb (kilobyte <--- hhaha bytez) via GPRS/WAP.

Click here to see how a GPS receiver looks like inside ur handheld device. It's small alright.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 15:48

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
bytez is correct. i will add on to that, network data charges have to pay, including 3G. For devices with A-GPS(assisted GPS), it will also incur slight amount of data as it connects to cell towers to collect tower IDs. if your mobile device such as mobile phones like iPhone has wifi then u can use the Wifi to download data but only effective within wifi range.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 17:22

Home away from home
Quote:

gerald wrote:

@kapis in your #4 your refering to GPS navigation device, or for PC or for handphones ?

Actually I was referring to both the device and navigation. Also navigation devices in general ie. PC, h/p or auto. Ok, to put this straight, even though u have the device with the maps, navigation will be useless in the area without 3G, WiFi or GPRS right?
That means navigation is useless here as every wireless thing is slow right?

Posted on: 2008/9/30 17:57

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.