New Members
Isaac97 2012/9/4
KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Any suggestion of a 'MUST GO' when ppl visit kuching? or any 'MUST TRY' nice food at kch?
Home away from home
I remembered one of my Uni days experience in Oz some 12 years ago. My team has just finished our assignment and got a Distinction from our lecturer, so we decided to celebrate it at a Malaysian restaurant in Sydney. The team consist of me, 2 Australian and a Swedish.

Upon ordering our meal, the Swede asked me if Laksa was hot. To which I answered 'No'. I forgot that the question came from a guy from up-north Europe, where even a mild chili is considered hot. Few minutes after the dishes was serve, I could see him struggling with his dinner, and I really regretted not providing him with more details to the food.

Posted on: 2008/12/13 20:36

Re: Any suggestion of a 'MUST GO' when ppl visit kuching? or any 'MUST TRY' nice food at kch?
Home away from home
From Kch
This is a helpful thread.

Sometimes really dunno how to plan when frens say they wanna visit Kch. "What's there to do in Kch?" .... erm... "Eat!" ... "Other than that???"...... "Erm.... /sweat"

Posted on: 2008/12/13 20:39
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Kch
^bump!

Recently I've got some overseas frens who came over for weekend trips.. and honestly, I had no idea whr to bring them other than the usual spots to MAKAN and jalan2..

What would anyone recommend for someone who will come to Kch on a regular (once a month) interval until Apr? usually over the weekend? I think every month eat and do the same thing will be.. BLAH.. :S

Posted on: 2009/1/4 16:54
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman

Just can't stay away
Have had a few friends fly over from the UK the last couple of years.

Generally food is probably one of the biggest option in kuching. That said I find most Brits are not that adventurous when it comes to food, nor are they that good with spicy food

A trip to the beach is one option, Damai or Sematan. They could stay over night at one of the tree house rooms in camp permai. Bit of a novelty thing, but the rooms are quite pleasant. There's also the Cultural village over there.

You could take them on a trip outside kuching to Windy or Fairy Caves, not much to see but one friend of mine spent quite a while in both caves taking photos. If you do this early in the morning, you also get a chance to pick some of the better choice of seafood in the fish market in sematan. From there one I'd bring them to one of resorts there, Palm Beach and have the food cooked there for a nice fresh meal by the beach (ish, since it's generally low tide and the sea seems miles away )

Gunung Gading would be one of my fav spots though. If they don't mind the hour long uphill hike, you can get up to waterfall no. 7. It's like having your own private waterfall cause hardly anyone goes there. Plus the lower waterfalls may be dry due to the dam just after waterfall no. 7.

There's also Jong's Crocodile farm. always godo for the tourist when it comes to feeding time or Semenggoh Orang Utan Sanctuary (went there THREE times and had ZERO luck seeing one though...bleh )

Closer to town there's always the museum, which had one of th ebiggest collection of stuffed animals I've seen anywhere so far . There's also the cat musium. Not been in that museum myself, but the view up there is quite nice. Also a chance to show them the super long roundabout names they have in the area, heh. Sunset river cruise? bit on the expensive side for what they offer, but it does offer a really nice view come sunset. The show they put on isn't anything impressive though.

Next trip Iplan to take a few of them to do a bit of river tubing. Not sure of the details yet, but it's somewhere towards Semenggoh, a two hour lounge on a gentle river sounds like a relaxing/fun experience :)

Posted on: 2009/1/5 8:42

Home away from home
From Terra
River tubing? Cool, please give us details and post it here, I feel like trying it myself.

I did come to that dilemma once and I ended up dragging clients to Ranchan Pools in Serian to enjoy quiet seclusion, or just random stops to the hot springs along the Kuching-Serian Highway. Just look for the brown signposts and follow the trail.

I really wouldn't suggest the border towns if you're in a rush. Uncle from Canada wanted to visit Serikin and we decided to call it quits after waiting in the car for two hours and only moving 50m, staring at the police station and customs offices the whole time, just a stone's throw from the 'market.'

You could try the temple at Muara Tebas. Amazing views, and apart from the somewhat character-filled village, the trek is worth the trip.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 13:39

Just can't stay away
As far as I know the river tubing thing is not commercialized, just a groupf of friends who this on a regular basis. For me it's more a case of a friend of a friend type scenario, heh.

However if I do end up going, will update the info here.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 12:51

Home away from home
From Kitty City
Running out of ideas? Sometimes it's good to consult the local tourist agents about their activities. Kayaking, long-house visiting etc, actually there are quite a handful of things to do.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 14:54

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.