tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: lifestyle & Concept Dining
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
I agree, I find the 1st mistake some 'western' cafes/restaurants in kch charge bloody expensive for their meals. And it is sssssooooo mediocre. You can tell their 'black pepper sauce' is made using maggi stock or is just sauce from a bottle, and their steak is not even good quality. Yet they charge RM$30-40 for it!

For that price u can pay abit more to go Hilton or eat really well in KL.

There are damn alot of prime examples of this in kch but I'm not gonna name them. They all usually close down after awhile anyway.

I really don't know how they justify to charge such high prices when they are only in a shophouse and they obviously use cheap ingredients and a amateur chef.

The best example I have ever come across is a cafe that charges RM$15-$20 for nasi lemak! The Tauke justified to me that his nasi lemak is very very nice to eat and he give really super large portion - surely cannot finish one! Like that what for I order it and cannot finish????

To this day his restaurant is still very empty.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 16:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Quite a regular
Yes, that's the style that these restraurant operate, no justification just open up their lion mouth to eat you alive!!!

Ha there was once me and my wife and my 3 kids wanted to look for something new and interesting, so drive all the way to Padungan to "cuba nasib" and guess what the basic principle that we use is that, the more customer the better the food. So sat down in a pretty nice place with about 10 other table full. So look at the menu and wow I almost jump out of my seat.

RM 80 for a rib steak and something like 89.90 for T-bone or soemthing can't recall. At the end we order something like Fish and Chip and chicken chop and some soup the bill came out to be wa lau eee!! RM 350 for 2 adults and 3 kids. hahaha never go back again until today wander if the shop still around.

Now a good beef for about 300g is only about RM 20 how can you sell you for RM 80 or more make no sense at all!!

Posted on: 2009/2/14 16:29

Home away from home
hey!

now that u mentioned, can u tell me where can i find the best nasi lemak in kuching town?

the mentality of the people in kuching esp. for the older generation is that they want a HUGE portion for value. That was why the boss was promoting to u his nasi lemak.

In reply to Swindler's comment,
well, u will have to support those upcoming restaurants so that another 3-5 more can survive in Kuching city.

Those cafes that cater to students like Bing/Starbucks for example, the students/youngsters tend to sit there for a long time thus depriving others of seats and they would be drinking only 1 drink. So that is actually not a good concept. it looks good like there are many people but not good for cash flow. Those students may be willing to spend but if only 1 drink that cost almost rm10, still, it is not good for biz.

cheers!

Posted on: 2009/2/14 17:24

Home away from home
From Kitty City
One thing I found recently is, if you have a friend with Hilton card or etc, go for these hotels instead.

I had this mixed grill (pic 1) at the cost of RM16.8 (tax included) and this rib-eye (pic 2) at RM17.95! (Hint: Just order plain water, and they'll serve you free soup and bread)

Otherwise, if you have RM500 spare, just apply a card and enjoy the 50% discount off the menu every time you go! Also, if you happen to go KL, you can stay at Hilton a night for free (about RM450++)!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4064.jpg (64.42 KB)
1332_4996ec062b134.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  IMG_4093.JPG (70.46 KB)
1332_4996ec36e9e15.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2009/2/15 0:07

Home away from home
thanks for the pic. i actually had 2 jambu air, 2 apple n twisties for dinner coz i dont know what to eat. u must be out on a valentine date eh? ;)

Posted on: 2009/2/15 0:18

Home away from home
From Kitty City
No this was taken a few days ago. Valentines I went for San Francisco Grill, old but nice restaurant

Posted on: 2009/2/15 0:21

Quite a regular
From Kuching
i will visit newly open restaurant, i will support them only if they are worth my visit. My philosophy is very simple. don charge expensive if your food is not fresh or delicious. you can charge high if youre up to standard.

i been to an eatery in kch, who ask me to stand, wait, never came to clear previous patron plates, need me to go and get my own menu and do self-service order but charge me a 10% service charge. i will never go back to that place unless they improve in waiter/waitress management.

Speaking of a new evening dinning place "courtyard" at Sarakraf Pavilion. Anybody been there before? any comment ?

Posted on: 2009/2/15 23:59

Home away from home
From Kitty City
I saw its brochures, but haven't try it yet. Thanks for the reminders

Posted on: 2009/2/16 7:36

Home away from home
hey maozi,

it is great to have finally met u Maozi. now, i see why yur avatar is little kitten. haha!

anyway, u seem to have tried most of the good food in kuchng,. you should be the official Food ambassador and food critique for catscity forum and best part is you take pics too .

I vote you to be the official Food ambassador. Anyone Support him please raise your hand.

cheers!

Posted on: 2009/5/18 11:18

Home away from home
From Kitty City
Eee, wait till I get a DSLR lar... pity...

Posted on: 2009/5/18 12:28

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.