Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Earth Hour saves 20 megawatts of S’wak electricity
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=49540

Earth Hour saves 20 megawatts of S’wak electricity
By Irene C

KUCHING: Last Saturday’s Earth Hour campaign reduced electricity consumption in Sarawak by two per cent, which is slightly over 10 megawatts.

This was revealed to The Borneo Post by an officer of Syarikat Sesco Berhad yesterday when asked about Earth Hour which encouraged people to switch off their power supply for an hour from 8pm.

However, the power savings of the unused electricity could not be determined as both businesses and residents took part in the campaign, and commercial and domestic power are charged different tariff rates.

According to Sesco’s website, the commercial rate per month is 40 sen for the first 100 units, 34 sen for the next 4,900 units and each additional unit thereafter is charged 30 sen, and minimum monthly charge is RM10.

For domestic consumption per month, the first 100 units is 34 sen, and the next 300 units is 29 sen and each additional unit is charged 33 sen, and minimum monthly charge is RM5. The industrial rate per month is 40 sen for the first 100 units, 30 sen for the next 2,900 units and each additional unit thereafter is 27 sen, and minimum monthly charge is RM10.

The website also has different tariffs for commercial demand rate per unit, commercial peak/off-peak demand rate per unit, industrial demand rate per unit, industrial peak/off-peak demand rate per unit, and public and street lighting rate per unit.

The listed tariffs rates were effective April 1, 2007.

Last Saturday was the first time Malaysia participated in Earth Hour which was started by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) in 2007 when the whole of Sydney, Australia turned off the lights for the cause followed by 35 countries the following year, with the participation of 50 million people.

Earth Hour gave out a message that every person, by taking a small action such as turning off a light, can make a huge difference in the fight against climate change.

Among the businesses that observed Earth Hour were hawker stalls at Hui Sing market, Four Points by Sheraton, Cold Storage, Merdeka Palace, Hilton, Damai Puri Resort and Spa, Tun Salahuddin toll, Dormani Hotel, H & L Supermarket and Pizza Junction.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 12:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Earth Hour saves 20 megawatts of S’wak electricity
Home away from home
From Kitty City
Just asking, but isn't the generators running even if we don't use the power?

I was late, so I switched off 9-10, hah~

Posted on: 2009/3/31 12:40

Home away from home
From Kota Samarahan
2% only??? hurm...

Posted on: 2009/3/31 13:45

Home away from home
Each person, young or old, averaged around 1kilowatt/hr. That includes running refrigerator, computer, air-condition, etc on a typical normal day.

Suppose if Earth hour saves 20MW, it means around 20,000 people turn off everything in the house. Or 500,000 light bulbs been turned off.

Not very significant in my opinion.

If Sarawak's energy all come from fossil fuel, 1kwh will generate around 0.97kg of CO2. So suppose 20MW, it will save 19.4 tonnes of CO2. Roughly equate to 3 person's CO2 output in a year. Not very significant.

Suppose if we have 12 hydro dams, we save nothing.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 19:38

Just popping in
From Kuching
Quote:
by maozi on 2009/3/31 12:40:11
Just asking, but isn't the generators running even if we don't use the power?
I was late, so I switched off 9-10, hah~

You are late but at least you switched off...
my company running 24hrs de, so our factory did not turn off the light...

Posted on: 2009/3/31 20:43

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
It's good to see some result rather than none. This year 2% then next year we expect 20%; nothing to lose to safe mother earth!

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:52

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
If we generate most of our energy from renewable source, as I understood Kuching get its electricity from Batang Ai, I don't see much point to the participation of Earth Hour.

I am not saying there is no need for us to conserve but I am saying we have a lot of energy source which is free anyway. A more significant impact would be trying to conserve on hydrocarbon energy. For example, cutting back on fossil fuel burning. Stop travelling by car for a day, walk to work, etc.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 23:50

Home away from home
From Boston
Do anyone know what will happen if a powerplant generates 100MW of energy, and only 80MW is consumed, what happens to the remaining 20MW?

Posted on: 2009/4/2 3:58

Home away from home
From Kuching/ Putrajaya
"If we generate most of our energy from renewable source, as I understood Kuching get its electricity from Batang Ai, I don't see much point to the participation of Earth Hour."

correction...kuching get its electricity from Senari bla bla power plant at bako area. that y, kuching is the most expensive electricity tariff rate in whole of malaysia. Yup...we pay xtra then others....

Posted on: 2009/4/2 11:35

Home away from home
Senari .. hmm... I haven't been home for a long time. Is that a coal power station or petrol power station?

If oversupply of electricity, surplus electricty will not be used or consumed. Dynamo will spin for nothing. But still cause the same amount of wear and tear. There is a controversy going on with TNB and the independent electricty supplier in West Malaysia. Report say they have oversupply of electricity ..... but then why do they still need our electricty and the submarine cable going across the south china sea?

Posted on: 2009/4/3 22:49

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.