KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24
Sponsored 2

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Boat fishing around Kuching?
Just can't stay away
I'm considering the idea of maybe getting a little boat and fishing around the rivers of Kuching..?

Anything I need to know?

Do crocs attacks boats?

Good places to fish?

Places to avoid?

Anybody wanna come? Anyone wanna take me on their boat?

:)

W.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 0:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Boat fishing around Kuching?
Quite a regular
From anywhere but home
things u need to know:

1. what do u planned to catch?usually, anglers goin to the river juz to reel in udang galah coz fishes are hard to catch..if u r lucky enough,u may landed a few big fish..depend on ur bait,weather,water temperature and a bit of luck..ask for local people if you wanna rent a boat,or u can ask the pakcik perahu tambang near waterfront there..

2. crocs does not attack boat unless you disturb it..its better for you to use a slightly bigger boat that can accommodate 4-5 person(since your boat is bigger,for sure the crocs will avoid being near you)..

3. good place to fish is the place where locals goes since they've more experience and knowledge..just ask them and they willing to help and giving advice or fishing tips..if you going to bring along echosounder,there should be no problem to find fish location..

4. please bear in mind,avoid going near local fisherman's nets and rapid water or u'll might lose control of your boat..

happy fishing and practise "Catch & Release" whenever possible..

Posted on: 2009/4/28 7:47

Home away from home
From kuciang
wiggles: how about fishing under the Santubong bridge? i saw some angler fishing under the bridge ,hearsay they pay Rm10 for the boatmen nearby for the trip - to & fro.i think when its time for you to go,you call the boatmen & he will come & fetch you.i witnessed one guy landing a red snapper under the bridge.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 14:51

Just can't stay away
Under the bridge? Mmm...

Thanks for the replies by the way! I couldn't find where I posted and had to do a search of the forum!

In the UK I fished for carp in lakes. Absolutely loved it, calm, peaceful then a big 20lb (about 9kg) fish fighting like crazy. Some could go up to 50lb in bigger lakes.

After that kind of fishing, the idea of trying to tease a prawn to the surface is about as exciting as watching paint dry...

I've noticed locals use big hooks and tough line. In the UK it's all about bringing the fish in with the lightest tackle possible. A 2lb fish on a 1lb line is considered better than a 10lb fish on a 12lb line.

No skill if you're just going to reel the thing in like a power winch..

Regarding the type of fish - I have no idea :)

Obviously big ones ;)

I'd rather fish all day and catch one big one that sit there reeling in a lot of little ones. As long as I know I have a CHANCE of catching a big one I'm happy, even if I don't.

As for asking the locals, that's what I'm doing, innit? ;)

Awhile ago I ordered some "walking worms", rubber worms that uncoil and coil up with the slightest touch. Virtually any fish likes worms, though I need to know if to fish low, high, on the surface or whatever. I'll find the link, hang on..

http://www.ngcsports.com/

They turned up today! Yay! They stink of rubber though, will have to soak them in some, I dunno, wormy stuff.

The boat I'm thinking of would be around 14-16ft, with cabin, 60HP. That would easily hold 4 people. Probably won't be until next year though, as not cheap.

I have rented a boat a couple of times, from some little fishing village further up the river. Was too busy exploring and having fun to do much fishing.

So, if I ever do get a boat, who wants to come? :)

W.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 4:52

Quite a regular
From anywhere but home
wiggles,our local anglers mentality and those from the west are different you know...in the west,they fish for pleasure and for the pure sportfishing spirit while our local anglers "fish for meal"..only a few of them practice catch and release..thats why the population of fishes and prawns in our water system decreased..

as for the worms,did u use the worm that is brown in color and turn crazy when you touch it?i heard from the elders that fish are scared of that worm..dunno if it scientifically proven or not..haha...

i really love to join ur trips but due to some constraints,i'll pass...(financial,time and transport problem..heheh..)

Posted on: 2009/5/1 14:08

Just can't stay away
Came across this old thread and thought perhaps you guys might like an update..?

In the end I bought an 18ft cabin boat, with a 90 HP Johnson. Used it for fishing up and down the length of Santubong river and some short sea trips.

Unfortunately the river is seriously over-fished with nets (including nets put in place and left unattended). This means few fish and they are generally small in size. It's still fun fishing there as it's a beautiful area and it's about fishing, not catching ;)

However I have recently sold that boat and am now having another boat commissioned. It doesn't sound much bigger, 23 feet, but it's actually a much bigger boat, with 200 horsepower.

With the new boat I'll be mostly fishing in the sea, about 60 kilometers off shore.

Wish me luck :)

W.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 19:22

Quite a regular
Humm, I don't remember this thread. There aren't a lot of places to go fishing around Kuching. If you want serious fishing then Bintulu is the place to go. And you don't have to go too far out. I used to fly to Bintulu early in the morning. Take a speedboat that I had reserved earlier, zip out to the gas rigs (slightly over an hours journey) trawl around the rigs for mackerel, barracuda and tuna with heavy lures. Never liked to spend the night out. So when evening draws close, I head back to Bintulu for the night in the hotel. Early next morning I do the same and head out until around 2pm then had back in to catch a late afternoon flight back to Kuching... with my catch.

If you stay overnight out at sea, you can do bottom fishing under or near the rigs as the light attracts a lot of fish. Expect large bottom fishes like grouper, rock cod and red snapper.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 13:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]