KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Photography ethics
Home away from home
From miri
I work with several clients who do contracted professional photoshoots. (I don't do photography myself unless it's just very casual shoot as hobby or for the family - heck I don't even own a DSLR)

The no.1 complaint I get from these guys (the official contract professionals) is that with the increase use of DSLRs (or sometimes just compact digitals, but mostly DSLRs) is that these non-official amateur photographers usually get in the way in a REALLY bad way on their photoshoots, spoiling a TON of shoots that could otherwise be avoided.

They feel that this is an increasing problem, and I agree.

Yeah, you can say ask the officials to bar other photographers etc but sometimes these things clash.

I have seen several examples, but I'll just name one of out MANY - there was this time I watched a graduation ceremony where they had to arrange for a group shot, and the last shot was one where the students threw their graduation hats into the air - as the MC was counting down for the students to throw the hats into the air, and with every count the parents / photo hobbyists kept creeping towards the group, thinking they are not in the shot but they are, until the floor was so full of parents + DSLR hobbyists (usually the students' brothers or sisters) that the official shot was COMPLETELY RUINED. There was not even time to stop them, considering it took only 3 seconds.

There were a few too that are too sensitive to mention, but it involves a photography group and the auspicious date of 090909 recently. The clashes are fierce, I tell you. Supposedly, the official photographers get the final say but in the heat of things where each a shot taken every 15 seconds for about an hour it is all a blur. More ruined shots follow, with blocked views, double flash from other cameras causing overexposure, the occasional back of an unknown photographer's head etc.

As I've said before, the problem with this is that some officials/organizers don't take this problem seriously, or they have to allow for this (e.g. for press photos or arranged photo groups). And usually you can't tell press from hobbyist photographers.

Now, what made matters worse lately as the DSLRs are selling like hotcakes these days, is that for some, holding a DSLR makes the person behind it feel smug and invincible, so it's as if they have a license to do whatever they want. Not all, but you know what I mean.

As photographers like yourselves, please tell me your opinion on this.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 9:28

Re: Photography ethics
Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching

Posted on: 2009/9/18 9:53

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Well I think it's a passion for hobbyist and as well something to cultivate from time to time, even if you're not professional, we learn from trial and errors, critiques as well. I have no oblique for rivals and competitions so long as you pledge the call of a quest, it's all in your hands. Likewise, amateur or professional, we learn from one another as there's no level of integrity generically but of course, there are some do's and don'ts that we should be aware of sometimes.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 10:16

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From miri
Interestingly, not quite the same problems, but it's a good read. The problem I state here is the constant "jostling for the position" shoots at events, up to a point where even amateur hobbyist photographers will even do the "stare down" each other kinda thing. I find that hilarious.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 10:18

Home away from home
From miri
Quote:

From Bytez
there are some do's and don'ts that we should be aware of sometimes.

Exactly - I absolutely have no problems if photography's their thing but like I've said, with the increase in DSLR purchase, people do get extremely demanding over some things, as if with the purchase comes with a privilege to do certain things. It is this that I am pointing out, and I do not know if these things are discussed at large the clubs / societies, but the number of rogue hobbyists have definitely increased every year.

Just a note, these clients I work with are people who shoot sessions (for events + whatnot) every other day, so they know their thing and they have already discussed in advance to try to prevent these mishaps but it still happens at an increasing rate.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 10:33

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
ah i got the same thing from my experience during my graduation.

everyone got their own camera. and their flash triggered off the official photographer's studio flash.

I didn't know how it turned out though cause I didn't buy.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 10:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]