KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Inter-Cultural Mooncake Festival 2009 at Carpenter Street
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
My personal favourite event in Kuching, the mooncake festival celebration. I remember back then when the event was held in a more active and grand manner, I went there every single night just to enjoy the atmosphere. But its has been getting smaller and less organized lately. Most likely due to political reasons. There used to be performing live bands, chinese traditional music. Its an annual event with the “inter-cultural” theme, where most ethnics and race will come together and enjoy or perform in this festive, not just limited to Chinese.

This year, its rather plain. Just stalls selling food and stuff. Nevertheless, its still very much lively and crowded as you can see in the photo. I will post more photo update when I am done processing them. Just to post it up for the followers, Saturday will be the last day of this event. 3rd October which is also the actual day for the Mooncake Festival. Lots of mooncake to buy and lots of stuff to see.

cross posted at kuchingtour.com

Open in new window

Posted on: 2009/10/3 1:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Inter-Cultural Mooncake Festival 2009 at Carpenter Street
Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
人山人海! :)
mountain sea mountain people! :)

Posted on: 2009/10/3 2:33

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
Quote:

webbie wrote:
My personal favourite event in Kuching, the mooncake festival celebration. I remember back then when the event was held in a more active and grand manner, I went there every single night just to enjoy the atmosphere. But its has been getting smaller and less organized lately. Most likely due to political reasons.

I think its not political, but rather because us as the younger generation care less about the culture and heritage pass on by our parents. People tend to focus more on International (western) and local (in your case Malaysia, in my case Indonesia) festivities. Chinese festivities are becoming irrelevant to the younger generation.

Same thing happening in Pontianak, Indonesia. When I was a kid (and at that time anything Chinese was supressed by the New Order Regime of Soeharto), we would close shop at noon and have a 'Ciak Toa Kay' (big festive meal) where all the family members and shop staffs gather together have a big meal. Now, in a more democratic atmosphere, people tend to care less about this cultural event and focus more on their work. The day goes by without anything special until dinner time where only members of my family gather up and have a little bigger than usual dinner.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 9:14

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
.. ah. abit of history.. ever since once of the organizing chairperson who was involve in organizing all these or should I say the "founder", lost the seat in one of the election. The celebration gone from grand to small. ( i think its abit of political reason). ahah

Posted on: 2009/10/3 9:23

Home away from home
I think kuchingites should feel lucky that the event is still celebrated in more grandeur than in many parts of Malaysia and some other countries.

You should try to improve it and make it more attractive
and become a reason for tourist to visit Kuching.

Maybe organised a 'mooncake baker competition' and invites all mooncake makers from around the region (Sarawak, Sabah, West Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, China, HK, Taiwan, etc) to compete and win throphies and big prizes.

Invites all the international journalist to cover the events, this should help create awareness on Kuching and made it an annual destinations for people enthusiastic about mooncake festivals.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 9:24

Home away from home
Quote:

webbie wrote:
.. ah. abit of history.. ever since once of the organizing chairperson who was involve in organizing all these or should I say the "founder", lost the seat in one of the election. The celebration gone from grand to small. ( i think its abit of political reason). ahah

I see... sad to hear that, a cultural and heritage event is being tied to political conditions.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 9:25

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
well. that is just my opinion. maybe because of recent economic downturn and virus outbreak. they tend to keep it smaller as they had in the news.

The celebration is still ok. as you can see, alot of people went.
I saw a booth with chefs from Xinjiang, china preparing their delicacy for sale. Invited by one of the association.

There were caligraphy , Chinese chess competition as well. many involve youngsters.

while me and my group of frens went there for photo shooting !

http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=58249

Quote:

Shorter Mooncake Festival celebration this year: Yong

KUCHING: This year’s Inter-cultural Mooncake Festival has been shortened from eight to five days from Sept 29 to Oct 3 following the Influenza A (H1N1) scare.

This is the first time this has been done despite the event having been held for eight years running.

There will be no official opening for the event as the organisers focus on offering an avenue for festival goers to enjoy themselves, and enhance rapport among the various communities.

The annual event, initially scheduled for Sept 26 to Oct 3, takes place along Carpenter Street.

It aims to mark the Chinese mid-Autumn Festival, which falls on Oct 3 this year.

Visitors to the five-day event will get to taste the delicacies especially Chinese-Muslim food from Northern China, Xinjiang as well as being enlightened on its culture, said co-organising chairperson Lily Yong.

“The festival will go on as usual except that we have invited four chefs from Xinjiang who are going to do food demonstration besides sharing their recipe.

“These chefs from Xinjiang will bring in mostly Chinese-Muslim food and also their special products to share with the locals here,” she told a news conference held at the Kuching Resident’s Office here yesterday.

Yong believed that these overseas chefs and the cultural shows to be staged by performers from Northern China would be an eye-opener for visitors.

She was pleased to note that the organising committee had received overwhelming response with 92 stalls registered despite the H1N1 pandemic.

“The 92 registered with us is more than in previous years. This year, we are toning down the formal part with no official opening — just let the people come and enjoy.”

Yong said the organising committee was in the midst of seeking sponsorship to provide masks for visitors, as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of the H1N1 virus.

The main sponsor of the five-day event, DiGi Telecommunications Sdn Bhd head of Sarawak region, Benny Wee handed over RM10,000 to Yong during a simple ceremony after the news conference.

Wee said: “We are excited to be a part of this auspicious traditional celebration, which has become one of the key events in Sarawak.”

He believed it was a good platform to enhance mutual understanding and goodwill that had co-existed within the communities, particularly among the younger generation.

In conjunction with the event, DiGi is running a special promotion for customers who purchase a new SIM card and make a minimum reload of RM10.

These customers will receive an additional RM5 free airtime.

A DiGi booth will be set up at the event venue to offer non-stop and fun-filled activities for visitors.

Festival goers stand a chance to take part in exciting games and win exclusive DiGi premiums.

Among those present were Inter-cultural Mooncake Festival co-organising chairman Dr Abdul Rahman Junaidi who is also Pantai Damai assemblyman, Pemanca Ko Wai Neng and event chief Fong Yee Chee.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 9:34

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
got taichi demonstration

Attach file:

jpg  taichi.jpg (150.81 KB)
1963_4ac6adb4b319a.jpg 1000X372 px

jpg  chinese chess.jpg (103.98 KB)
1963_4ac6adf000950.jpg 465X700 px

jpg  robert.jpg (137.26 KB)