tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Say No to "Plastic Bag" Day
Home away from home
From miri
Quote:
And being green is more than just using bio-degradable plastics and organising no plastic bag days. One's carbon footprint affects as much as well. The food we buy at the supermarket itself takes a lot of energy, especially if we're flying them in from far flung places. Using more public transport can off-set one's excessive flying. Though still, reducing the amount of waste and plastic bag use is a small step in a much larger picture.

Well Mocha,

I personally think it's a bit ridiculous to have your carbon footprint calculated that way, because I think that should be the manufacturer's responsibility in dealing with that.

If I ride a bike to work, then I might directly influence a smaller carbon footprint but not when I buy a Mars Bar imported from OZ, that's just a complicated way to calculate things. The Mars Bar is going to be there regardless I buy it or not. Unless a mayor intervenes and declare No Import Food Day.

If Mars company made their Mars Bar with diodegradable packaging and change their factory , shipping, boxing, etc to more environmentally friendly ways one way or another, then that's where we all win, don't you think so? I still get my Mars Bar. (Unless they change the ingredients to a point where it tastes different.) And actually, I think they do this, whether it is effective or not, I don't know.

Since it's plastic we're mainly talking about, I think that replacing them with biodegradable plastics is better than what we're doing now. People are going to resist the idea of 'no plastic day' anyway. If we do things in a way that even these people don't notice they are contributing but automatically effect the environment for the future, this would be the mostest bestest effective way. Sure, we still want to teach them about environment, but at least half the battle is won.

But that's just my opinion.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 14:30

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
I acknowledged uncle James Wong (Photographer) for his approval of posting these photos... The event was held in Miri recently as go green campaign, raising awareness towards plastic usage & climate change.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2010/5/7 1:37

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Terra
A 'say no to plastic bag' day is only as effective as the awareness of the people who hand out shopping bags.

Went shopping with a friend. Saw a little sign that said '20 cents for every plastic bag on Saturday.' Today is Saturday. We were given plastic bags for free. At times, the cashier even double-bag her stuff, without us realising it.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 16:16

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
See this.

http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=35346

‘No plastic bag on Monday’ campaign launched in KK

June 8, 2010, Tuesday

KOTA KINABALU: If you are planning to do your shopping on a Monday, you are advised to bring your own shopping bag or basket.

NO PLASTIC BAG: Unduk Ngadau 2009 winner Appey Rowena (left), together with the other 2010 Miss Earth Sabah finalists and 2009 Miss Earth Malaysia winner Mandy Nandu (fourth right) showing the Ecobags during the launching of ‘Tanjung Aru Pekan Hijau Tanpa Sampah’ and ‘No Plastic Bag on Monday’ that was officially launched by Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun at Tanjung Aru yesterday. During their participation, they are required to attend various environmental activities, practise and voice their green thoughts and ideas also to showcase and promote ecotourist destinations in Sabah.

When buying small items or those in small quantity, refrain from using plastic bags.

For those in bulk, you might consider using a trolley.

These are measures which the Kota Kinabalu City Hall (DBKK) expects to instill on the public via the ‘No Plastic Bag on Monday’ campaign launched yesterday at a participating premises here.

The campaign is jointly organised by DBKK and the Environmental Action Centre (EAC), with the co-operation of Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd.

It is aimed at reducing the use of plastic bags and encouraging the use of other options like bio-degradeable bags, instead of conventional plastic when shopping.

Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun launched the event.

Parkson, 7-Eleven, Tong Hing Supermarket, Giant hypermarket, Milimewa, Southern Bakery and Popular Bookstore are among those supporting the campaign.

City Hall Mayor Datuk Iliyas Ibrahim said the participating premises would not give away free plastic bags to shoppers on Mondays, and each plastic bag requested would be charged 20 cents.

“The money collected from the sale of plastic bags will be channelled to EAC’s fund for environmental and cleanliness projects,” he said.

Earlier in his speech, Masidi said about 150 tonnes of plastic was used here daily, as compared to the entire country which accounted for about 4,080 tonnes daily. — Bernama

Posted on: 2010/6/9 0:30

Home away from home
From Punti Hakka Ngin
Plastic is bad. I always use it. Too lazy.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 7:01

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp? ... 20110101154253&sec=nation

Nationwide campaign on "No Plastic Bags on Saturdays" launched
By DHARMENDER SINGH

PUTRAJAYA: The Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry has launched a simultaneous nationwide campaign that will see all hypermarkets, supermarkets and Petronas petrol stations no longer giving out free plastic bags on Saturdays.

In statement issued on Saturday, the ministry said it had also met with retailers to discuss the effort to minimise the use of plastic bags in the country starting yesterday and some of them had agreed to join the campaign.

With the campaign, shoppers nationwide will now have to pay 20sen if they want the shopping centre or outlet they visit on Saturdays, to give them a plastic shopping bag.

The money collected from the fee would be channelled into a special fund used to conduct environment preservation and protection related programmes as well as activities for consumers and communities.

“The objective of the campaign is to support the government effort to preserve the environment and the depleting resources while instilling environment friendly values among the public and businesses,” it said in the statement.

The campaign, which had been implemented only in Penang and Selangor before this, was launched simultaneously in all states with the theme Safe Our Future Generation and Earth.

The ministry said the government launched the efforts to reduce waste after its projections showed that Malaysians would create 30,000 tonnes of solid waste daily by the year 2020.

It said it hoped that the campaign would reduce the effects that the use of plastic shopping bags had on the economy, environment and the health of consumers themselves.

“The Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry will continue with efforts to raise awareness among consumers,” it said.

Meanwhile the launch of the campaign in Putrajaya saw dozens of staff from the ministry handing out pamphlets on the campaign as well as reusable cloth bags to shoppers at the Alamanda shopping centre here.

The ministry staff handed out hundreds of reusable shopping bags to holiday shoppers and many of the recipients welcomed the government effort that would help reduce the amount of plastic bags that often end up in landfills.

Posted on: 2011/1/1 21:47

Just popping in
i strongly support with the "Say No to "Plastic Bag" Day". Come on! its only gonna work with coordination from all of us (citizen & support by the government). Let do something to safe the world!

Posted on: 2011/1/5 17:24

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
the MBKS council mayor wasn't supportive of the idea and he said it wasn't practical in the first place.

refering to this news:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp? ... rawak/6121012&sec=sarawak

Lack of INITIATIVE.

I personally have been avoiding using polystyrene packets when make take-away orders. I brought my own tin container instead.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 20:06

Home away from home
From Terra
There should not be just a 'no plastic bag day.' It feels like a token effort.

We the consumers should be asked at the counter if we want plastic bags or not. Make people feel good about using their wicker shopping baskets or cloth tote bags and you'll see more people choosing it over plastic. Soon, you'll get used to not using plastic bags.

Reducing packaging will definitely help reduce wastage as well. Paper bags would be a good alternative for small sundry items if consumers didn't bring their own baggies.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 10:33

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
maybe it's practical once a week but not everyday, like radiohead said, we need to trash rubbish as well!

Posted on: 2011/1/6 21:37

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.