tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Gambier Street is now in fire!!!! 22nd Dec
Quite a regular
From Kuching
referring to the demolition to the fire damaged buildings. I find it really strange that why barely 24 hours after the fire, 2 units of excavators are already on site (inside) to clear the debris and to knock off the damaged remaining structures. it is then put on 10 wheeler dump trucks and then taken away from site. this was done on the 2nd day while the bomba is still there conducting dampening exercise since there was still smoke. i find it really strange.

another thing, 2-3 days ago... an empty land near chung hua school no.6 at Stapok road... now turned into a instant dumping ground. since i travel that route every day and night... i observed strange movements there.

1. in the middle of the night towards midnight, dumping works are conducted with excavators at the dumping ground dumping what seemed like damaged goods / clothes. Even during heavy rain fall.

2. Yesterday evening (28 Dec 09) around 6pm, that road suddenly got jammed.. As i drive slowly pass that section, i saw a lot of ppl on motorbikes at the site digging for things and carrying them away on their bikes / cars. Rolls of clothes, carpet look alike. Strange indeed.

3. Why remove the debris barely 24 hours even before any insurance investigators, bomba investigators, police investigators etc. could conduct their investigation works as to determine the loss or cause of fire.

4. it is also not cheap to hire 2 units of excavators to site as it would cost somewhere around 2 to 3k plus. and why sooooooo fast?

Is there something wrong here? Please someone with better camera take some photos at the dumping site i meantioned.

Its located on the 2nd bridge connecting to 100% store Jalan keretapi.

Open in new window

Attach file:

jpg  map.jpg (162.58 KB)
772_4b396b89b5ce4.jpg 1273X518 px

Posted on: 2009/12/29 10:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Quite a regular
Ahhh. Good to know that I'm not the only one that is suspicious! But I didn't say anything cause I have already said many things about other matters and some people might think I have gone X-Files gila. Yes it is VERY unusual to see where the scene of the fire is still "hot" that excavators have been brought in to flatten the site BEFORE the Bomba fire investigators haven't even started their inspection yet. Not to mention the insurance adjusters who have not gone through the site to determine the extent of the damage and how much the insurance companies have to fork out. Insurance companies are very particular about how much they need to pay so whey will examine any damage site very closely. Sometimes taking weeks!

If I was the owner of one of the damaged buildings, I would be hopping mad to see the excavators rush in like that and flatten all the stock I have in my shop before I can get the chance to salvage anything. What about George Chan. Since when has he been so interested in fires? Almost every day we see his face in the papers connected to something with the fire. He was there during the height of the fire too! When the fire was ongoing he was already commenting about the event being a great opportunity for redevelopment to match the new waterfront, for tourism etc...

As for the hauling of the debris to Stapok, it was supposed to be done by JKR but was then subcontracted to a private firm all within 24 hours. Now anyone who had any dealings with JKR or any government department regarding contracts knows how slow they move. This is super fast!

So this begs to be asked. What is going to take over the site of the destroyed shops? Originally ... that entire fire damaged block, the spice market and the historic Indian mosque was to be demolished to make way for an office tower with multi story shopping center. White hair had already gave his approval for the plan. This was like 2-3 years ago but the local shop owners and the committee that runs the mosque and spice shop owners raised such a stink the plan was shelved. I think only time will tell what will replace the demolished shops. (Good place to put a small boutique 3 story hotel designed like an old shophouse in my opinion as there are no hotels nearby) Time will also reveal if more sections of old Kuching will be destroyed in suspicious fires.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 14:48

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
according to the gossips of the kopitiam and bystanders of the scene on the 2nd day.

one of the shop's insurance agents were already there analyzing the loss.

Quote:

If I was the owner of one of the damaged buildings, I would be hopping mad to see the excavators rush in like that and flatten all the stock I have in my shop before I can get the chance to salvage anything. What about George Chan. Since when has he been so interested in fires? Almost every day we see his face in the papers connected to something with the fire. He was there during the height of the fire too! When the fire was ongoing he was already commenting about the event being a great opportunity for redevelopment to match the new waterfront, for tourism etc...

well, he's the DCM of Sarawak. its not unusual to see his face in such big news of Kuching.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 17:18

Home away from home
From Kuching, Sarawak
wat a loss..

Posted on: 2010/1/2 9:33

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.