tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Hybrid vehicles
Home away from home
From miri
Just looking for your opinions here : Anyone here own a electric/gasoline hybrid?

A friend of mine bought a Civic Hybrid and as any good friend would do I make fun of his silly hybrid rims and then proceed to 'steal' the car for a short drive.

I was pleasantly surprised at how fuel efficient it was (he says his fuel expenses in mostly city driving were cut by more than half) and yet at the same time having more than enough low end power to scoot around town. In fact, that power from the motor assist is (or feels) at least twice as responsive than on my Camry 2.2. And I didn't even depress the accelerator halfway through.

My friend could justify the car because his fuel expenses on his last car was nearly topping 1K per month as he moves around almost every hour of the workding day of the whole week. He bought this 130K hybrid - with a fair amount of deposit, and still managed to get a monthly loan of less than 1K.

Now if this is the future I certainly have no problem with that. The 1.3L engine would certainly allow for a tiny yearly tax amount (RM50?). But with the around-town-scootiness of -- well something like a 2.5 diesel but without the awful diesel traits and awful yearly road tax. If I get something like that I'd change the silly aerodynamic rims immediately though at the expense of some minor fuel economy hit.

Anyone have got Prius or CH? What're your thoughts?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 16:02

Re: Hybrid vehicles
Home away from home
From miri
Whoops. Just realized this was posted in the wrong spot. My apologies and please move to appropriate forum thanks.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 17:35

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
done

hmm. can't do much input on the topic. never tested a hybrid yet.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 20:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From miri
Well webbie, I was privileged enough to drive one since these cars aren't available for test driving and if you want to test one you have to buy one, or are part of the press to review a car if they provide one for review.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 20:42

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
woo thats unfortunately.

Conclusion? hybrid cars = very fuel efficient by x% ?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 21:01

Home away from home
From Kuching/ Putrajaya
what do u mean by road tax? expensive? i dont think so....or u mean, car insurance?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 21:54

Home away from home
I think there is too much hype into hybrid car. They are not superbly efficient.

Any decent 2.0L turbo diesel can easily do 50 mpg whereas Prius is now boasting about doing 50mpg with today's technology. Wait till they can do 100 mpg only then I will pay a little more attention.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 4:22

Home away from home
From Punti Hakka Ngin
I have seen and heard of hybrid car.

From what I heard, if you drive slow, it will run on battery. Drive faster, the petrol engine will start running.

But here is the bad thing, the start up cost is very very steep! You have to drive for many many years to recop the cost and break even.

Then again, you better watch out for your car. Not careful, your car will end up in Kalimingtan.

There are no good road to drive your car in Kuching. Lots of mud and pot holes. The road in KL is great.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 4:27

Home away from home
From miri
Quote:
disk79
what do u mean by road tax? expensive? i dont think so....or u mean, car insurance?

I only meant the road tax. Since this covers a 1.3L engine, that's very little. Insurance should be about the same as an ordinary Civic. Not sure, should go ask my friend.

Quote:
stormpike
I think there is too much hype into hybrid car. They are not superbly efficient.

Any decent 2.0L turbo diesel can easily do 50 mpg whereas Prius is now boasting about doing 50mpg with today's technology. Wait till they can do 100 mpg only then I will pay a little more attention.

Aha, you're right, but partially. A diesel turbo will do the kinds of mileage, but only on the highway rating assuming you are moving at a constant rate. It will be poorer in stop-go city mode. Over here, at the wrong times, it will take over an hour to reach home even if your home is just 5 miles away from where you work. I suspect in Kuching it is no better. This is where the hybrid will save, since you will use almost no petrol in such situations. If they have diesel-electric hybrid then it might even be better.

Then, there's the road tax, a diesel 2.0 is a 2.0L, and that will be more expensive. I know it's negligible but as I personally feel it is never worth it to have to pay a road tax for my 1.8 and 2.2 yearly, if you're paying for 1.3L but the car is sedan and useful, this is a bonus. The Prius has a 1.8 though so that will not be an improvement unless there is some exemption for it. Again, not sure for that.

Quote:
chong67
From what I heard, if you drive slow, it will run on battery. Drive faster, the petrol engine will start running.

But here is the bad thing, the start up cost is very very steep! You have to drive for many many years to recop the cost and break even.

For Prius starts at the high end of 170K. That is probably more than the top of the line Camry. I know this as Ive seen their brochure before but never driven the car. Therefore, this initial cost may be higher, but the Civic Hybrid is the same price as a Civic 2.0. If you're in a position to afford the Civic 2.0 and paying for gasoline car anyway, then there is no reason why not to go for it and save in the longer run. Just think of it as a very fuel efficient gasoline car that isn't slow.

My friend's old 1.8 needed a topup every 2-3 days. He moves around a LOt. Now he just needs a topup every 1.5 weeks at the same kids of frequency he is driving in the stop-go traffic. Imagine if you don't drive that much.. a topup once every month is very possible. Heck, I don't drive that much but I still have to top up every 6-7 days.

Quote:

Then again, you better watch out for your car. Not careful, your car will end up in Kalimingtan.

There are no good road to drive your car in Kuching. Lots of mud and pot holes. The road in KL is great.

The car isn't mine, but besides the point, I concur. Well for theft, even my parent's old Proton was stolen before, so this is an general problem rather than a specific one to certain cars. As for road condition, this is why I feel that the road tax unworthy. It's not a matter of saving a few hundred per YEAR, but just the thought of paying something for almost nothing, especially a 1.8L engine is RM230 but 1.3L is just RM50 for a 0.5 difference. Let's not even mention the 2.2L.

Personally I if the costs come down in the future to mainstream cars it will be better. I used to think it's hype too but having seen it in person I think it's not at all.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 13:09

Edited by ian on 2010/8/9 13:28:07
Edited by ian on 2010/8/9 13:30:19

Home away from home
From miri
Quote:
webbie
Conclusion? hybrid cars = very fuel efficient by x% ?

Well, as a rough indicator (not working with specific data), as I've mentioned above, according to him with no change in driving habits (driving almost every hour of the day, getting stuck in traffic etc.), from needing to top up every 2-3 days in his 1.8 Altis to topping up roughly every 1.5 weeks. So assuming 1.5 weeks is about 10-11 days, that's about 5x FE improvement from the old one you're looking at with no hit in engine performance, cost of new car not withstanding.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 13:18

Edited by ian on 2010/8/9 13:39:32

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.