New Members
Isaac97 2012/9/4
KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Getting a DVD/CD-RW drive, some help please.
Home away from home
From The Dreaming
Ok, I'm deciding to get a new DVD/CD-RW drive for my computer. I need some help here. But first, let me explain.

I currently have a CD-RW drive on my computer from BenQ.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/product.asp?prodId=25037

The problem is that it can't read or detect blank cds, which means I can't burn or copy cds. It can however, read/detect cds with data on them.

Normally, if you put a cd in it (blank or otherwise), the light on the drive will start blinking, and once it detects the cd, the light will stay on.

If I put a blank cd in, the light will start blinking, but after blinking for a while, it will stay off, which means it can't detect the cd. It works fine if I put in a game cd.

I bought my CD-RW drive on January 2003 (almost two years). I don't use it very much, maybe once or twice every month.

Now, does anyone know what's causing the problem and if there's a way to remedy it? (I'm thinking not, because it probably has something to do with the laser).

So, if there's nothing that can be done about it, I would like to buy a CD-RW/DVD combo drive.

I went to Saberkas just now, and I found out that the cheapest one was this one from BenQ.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?p=300237&CMP=KA19890

Does it seem ok? Or should I get another brand (since my current one that broke down is also BenQ, and it broke down so fast)? There are a couple more brands like Liteon, Acer and Sony, and they are just a few dollars more expensive.

So, any thoughts/comments or anything I should know like specs and such before I buy a new drive?

Also, if I buy a DVD drive, can I watch DVD movies from any region? Or does that depend on the program I use to watch DVDs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks.

Posted on: 2004/11/8 1:39

Re: Getting a DVD/CD-RW drive, some help please.
Webmaster
From Kuching
As for your BenQ CD-RW which you are currently using, I don't think there is much you can do about it. But as for my working experience as technician before. Here is something you can do to test whats the problem is all about..

Cabut the CDRW and mount it on another different working comp. Test if its working. If it does, then there is something wrong with your comp and vice versa.

You might want to try, using a CD-cleaner to clean the laser lens in the cdrw, just might work. cost around RM15-20 like that i think.

For your CD-RW/DVD , i don't suggest you consider even consider buying a sony brand. I get many complains from friends using them. Get Liteon, usually they comes with free software, original NeroBurner software and maybe PowerDVD.
Lite On LTC-48161H CD-RW/DVD-ROM (Combo) Burner

Combo drive, I tried to buy it once and went to look for more information about it. The sales promotor told me he gets Warranty return Combo drives often from customers. Here is a summary of what i think.

Comp dvd-rom, most of it you can read any DVD at all. even pirated ones and stuff. Cuz pirated dvds are produced from comps as well. DVD movies burned from computers some can't be read in your home threater dvd player. So don't worry much about it.

CD-RW/DVD pros
-save money
-no need to waste so much comp space
-faster computer start up
-save electricity

[b]CD-RW/DVD cons[/]b]
-once broken, you don't have a secondary cdrom
-you can't do cd to cd copy
-

I am not really sure what you see when it comes in buying these drives. I always pick on the latest and most popular/best selling model in the market. Make sure they come in box and not plastic bags.

Well, if you don't use it often, i think its ok if you get a combo. For hardcore cd burners, i don't suggest you get combo.

Lols hope this helps,
jsawkang maybe able to provide you more information.

Posted on: 2004/11/8 8:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
Quote:

Also, if I buy a DVD drive, can I watch DVD movies from any region? Or does that depend on the program I use to watch DVDs?

yes. it depends on the program. "region-free dvd player" i think. not very sure bout ur current cd-rw though.

Posted on: 2004/11/8 9:00

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:

[b]CD-RW/DVD cons[/]b]
-once broken, you don't have a secondary cdrom
-you can't do cd to cd copy
-

I am not really sure what you see when it comes in buying these drives. I always pick on the latest and most popular/best selling model in the market. Make sure they come in box and not plastic bags.

About the cons, I do have a drive that only reads cdrom, so I guess that covers the cons. I can do a cd to cd copy, I just put in the original cd in my CD drive, and then the blank one in the CD-RW/DVD drive.

Well, I don't know what is the latest and most popular model in the market. So I look for the cheapest, and since BenQ quite reputable, i"m thinking of getting it.

But you say Lite On is good? Then I'll get it, it's only about RM 10 more expensive.

Also, do combo drives (CD-RW/DVD) rosak more quickly compared to single drives (CD-RW)?

Posted on: 2004/11/8 14:17

Webmaster
From Kuching
Liteon is good as it is supported by the Nero burner software.
They come in bundle.

I read in PCworld several times about Liteon, which being voted and awarded best burner.

Also, do combo drives (CD-RW/DVD) rosak more quickly compared to single drives (CD-RW)?

For my opinion i think from logic wise. CD-RW/DVD serves 2 purpose and that way its not a dedicated hardware to serve a single purpose. So it might not be as good as a single drive that is dedicated for one purpose only. So the combo is not as durable as the single drive.

As the sales promoter told me its better to get separate ones for a reason that DVD/CDRw combo is still quite new and not really developed till the best for end users yet.

Just my opinon, the decision is yours. I am using single drive Lite-on DVD player and a Lite-on 52x32x52 CDRW. Used it for a year now and its going great. Doesn't piss me off like Sony burner does.

Posted on: 2004/11/8 15:19

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
I'm really confused now. You see, I'm want to get a combo drive, but then I'm scared after I get the combo drive, I find out that my drive can be repaired.

You see, it can read normal cd, no problem. The only problem is cannot detect blank cds. If it's the laser rosak, then it cannot read cds at all, but yet it can read normal cds, just not blank one.

Another reason is like you said, I scared after I get combo drive, rosak very fast.

sigh...computer cause so much headache...aduh..

Posted on: 2004/11/8 16:00

Webmaster
From Kuching
Well, don't worry about it.. there is always a warranty for the cdrom.

For your old drive, you can do as i told you earlier, mount it on another computer see how it goes. The drive consist of Read and Write head. Assume it can only read and unable to write cds.
Maybe the write head is dirty and you need to do alittle bit of cleaning. If you send to some technician for some repair, they would probably start with those 2 steps first before unscrew your cd-rom drive.

Posted on: 2004/11/8 17:28

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
Burners got two heads kah? I never knew, I thought only got one.

Anyway, I tried cleaning with the cleaning disc, cannot...I would try to mount it on another computer or open it up to clean the head, but I don't know how to. I'll probably ask somebody over to do it.

If memang cannot, then I'll have to settle for a new drive.

Btw, if I get seperate drives, how much will it cost? I check the combo drive is RM 185. How much does it cost nowadays for a CD-RW and a DVD drive?

Posted on: 2004/11/8 17:36

Webmaster
From Kuching
Hmm not exactly to say its physically has 2 heads..

Click here so to see how it works.

These are the price range i got in KL:

Liteon CDwriter 52x32x52 :
RM 100

BenQ 52x32x52 IDE Internal CDRW Drive:
RM95

Liteon 52x32x52/16X DVD Combo Drive :
RM 165

16x Liteon DVD Smart-X : RM 105

Posted on: 2004/11/8 18:13

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
KL is a bit cheaper, over here the Liteon combo drive is RM 185.

Hmm..probably will be around RM 40 to RM 50 more expensive if you get seperate drives. You think it's worth it?

Posted on: 2004/11/8 18:29

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]