Idle Nights - A Show of Words at MOJO
Home away from home
From Kuching
Date: Sept 22 (Friday)
Time: 9:00pm
Venue: MOJO @ Denise The Wine Shop
Admission: Free

-------------------

KUCHING: Local writers and poets are banding together for "Idle Nights - A Show of Words at MOJO", Kuching's first showcase of the spoken word, featuring “British Queen of Performance Poetry” Francesca Beard.

The event will take place this Friday (Sept 22), from 9:00pm, at MOJO @ Denise, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman. Admission is free.

The line-up will include the work of Kuching-born wordsmiths such as Azreen Zahira, Bertha Chin, Georgette Tan and others, who read to you from their notebooks and lead you into the world inside their heads.

Azreen Zahira describes herself as a somewhat lost, not-so-little girl attempting to figure out what she really wants to do with the rest of her life. This prospect is extremely scary to her, resulting in her clinging to her childhood by writing stories about children who invariably get into trouble by being nosey parkers. She gets into the head of her young characters easily, and narrate the events as she follows them down paths unknown.

Bertha Chin writes poetry to vent her frustration and to escape the sometimes mind-numbingly dry and tedious task of reinterpreting the works of dead, French sociologists. She lives in London for most of the year, where she is attempting to finish writing her thesis. Her poetry is mainly gothic, with vignettes that may not always be pleasant but are more often than not, true.

Georgette Tan will never claim to be a poet, despite the somewhat embarrassing fact that her muse returned after a two-year hiatus talking in riddles and rhymes. Death, ghosts and other creatures of the imagination are a constant theme. A lot of her stories are about denizens on the Other Side, or about people who are about the find themselves there.

All the local talent above will be presenting their work to an audience for the first time.

The only one who is no stranger to the spotlight is the featured performer Francesca Beard.

Penang-born poet Beard will be delighting the crowd with a delicious fare of wit, humour, and cross-cultural observations in her own inimitable style of prose in a unique event that is set to break down old perceptions of poetry and how it is presented.

This is the first time that London-based Beard is performing in Sarawak. Raised in Penang before moving to the UK, Beard is now a full-time poet, performing spoken word to audiences all over Britain, as well as internationally.

Kate Owen, Director, Culture, Arts and Science, British Council Malaysia, said: “Performance poetry is a contemporary art form that is popular in the UK and one that we are certain local audiences will enjoy too. One may argue that poetry can be profound, but we hope this event will show how it can be very accessible and hugely entertaining to both the uninitiated and the enthusiast!”

She added that they are especially delighted to have local Kuching talent on stage with Beard to showcase their own brand of performance poetry and spoken word.

"This will hopefully inspire more of such events, helping propel the art form further into the mainstream.” she said.

Posted on: 2006/9/20 18:01

Re: Idle Nights - A Show of Words at MOJO
Home away from home
From Kuching
Hey this sounds ineteresting

Posted on: 2006/9/21 1:13

Home away from home
From Kuching
Hope you can make it. :)

Posted on: 2006/9/21 10:03

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Today's Borneo Post says its tonite.

So issit today or tomolo?

Posted on: 2006/9/21 13:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Webmaster
From Kuching
I just got informed that the event is tml night , not thursday night.
Borneo post stated it wrongly

Posted on: 2006/9/21 14:33

Home away from home
From Kuching
Picture this.

I opened up the papers in the office today, found the HUGE headline and thought, "Lead story for the page AND byline. Cool!"

Then I saw that it said "tonight".

I screamed loud enough for the whole office to hear.

I checked the copy I submitted to make sure I didn't put "tonight" for some stupid reason. I didn't. I screamed some more while colleagues were half laughing and half trying to calm me.

I called my co-organiser at MOJO and he did some screaming over the phone because some people might show up there tonight and be disappointed.

Then I spent the rest of the day SMSing corrections to as many people as I can.

I don't know what happened, but I still got many things to do before tomorrow night. :(

I've not met a lot of the newer people on this forum, so if you come tomorrow, do come up and say hi!

Posted on: 2006/9/21 17:51

Webmaster
From Kuching
The Show is tonight ! Friday !

btw where the heck are the guest going to park their cars?

Posted on: 2006/9/22 9:20

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
Can park at Pizza Hut area.

Our company deals with Borneo Post and Eastern Times all the time. For some reason, almost everytime we hand them a press release, they get it wrong!

Posted on: 2006/9/22 10:06

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
I thought last nite was quite enjoyable.

All Kuching writers made an excellent effort and some were really quite good.

That Francesca lady was really really good! She was very funny. Overall a good night.

Posted on: 2006/9/23 8:41

Home away from home
From Kuching
OMG you were there? :O Which one were you? :D

It was hugely successful... much better than any of us thought possible. It's just a pity we didn't think of hiring a videographer!

Posted on: 2006/9/23 9:08

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]