KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

sarawak-made handicrafts and gifts
Just popping in
From kl
how do i get cheap handicrafts and gifts in sarawak other than the shops in main bazaar? from what i had observed, i have seen some china-made products. would you guys list out the sarawak-made products for me, please? thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2008/2/17 20:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: sarawak-made handicrafts and gifts
Home away from home
From in your mind
"Pua Kumbu", a sort of textile weaving by the Ibans. You can actually attend workshops conducted at Tun Jugah. For more info:

The Tun Jugah Foundation
Level 4, Tun Jugah Tower,
18, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman,
93100 Kuching

Tel: 082-239672

Posted on: 2008/2/17 23:41

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
The stuff you find in main bazaar are mixed with made in china stuff and made in indonesia.

i have no idea what those stuff are called. so can't list it out.

Posted on: 2008/2/17 23:46

Home away from home
From Sydney
I once saw Javanese masks and puppets in the Main Bazaar. It's not really surprising.

While Kuching's Main Bazaar may pride itself as being the centre for Sarawakian arts and culture, this is very well true. At the same time, Kuching is also one of the few truly Southeast Asian cultural centres, a fact I am very proud of. However, the distinction is very subtle, and to the less knowledgeable shop assistants, they may claim a Balinese figure as an Orang Ulu carving.

For truly Sarawakian crafts, look out for the Pua Kumbu, mentioned below, as well as totems and the less painted (or even plain) masks. The more colourful the mask, the less it is from Sarawak. Small brass ear-rings are Orang Ulu in nature, but can also originate from other sources.

Keep in mind, if you're looking for authentic antiques, expect to pay the sky. A simple silver bangle can cost upwards from RM300 and old Puas can start from RM500 for a 1m X 2m.

For cheaper products, well, just be weary of Indonesian knockoffs. For the tried and true authentic, stick with Saracraft, Edgar Ong Gallery and few others that have the dark, haunted house look about them.

I once saw a kangaroo toy in New Zealand which was made in China, and a Buddha head in Bali made in the Philippines.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 4:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]