KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Are our opticians qualified?
Home away from home
My friend and I went to an optical shop the other day and just browsing through at their sunglasses and frames and the sales person asked whether we want to have an eye test. So my friend simply say yes, and after peeking through a computerized testing machine, the sales person then show us the result slip and say ....this is your power!
Is the computerized testing machine accurate?

Then I came across a letter in The Star:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp? ... /focus/20732759&sec=focus
saying that some optical shop is manned by unqualified opticians.
Well, I can see here that most of the optical shop in kuching, like The Spring, Buolevard is run by youngsters. Are they qualified?

Posted on: 2008/4/17 16:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Are our opticians qualified?
Home away from home
From kuciang
Quote:

kapiskum wrote:
My friend and I went to an optical shop the other day and just browsing through at their sunglasses and frames and the sales person asked whether we want to have an eye test. So my friend simply say yes, and after peeking through a computerized testing machine, the sales person then show us the result slip and say ....this is your power!
Is the computerized testing machine accurate?

Then I came across a letter in The Star:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp? ... /focus/20732759&sec=focus
saying that some optical shop is manned by unqualified opticians.
Well, I can see here that most of the optical shop in kuching, like The Spring, Buolevard is run by youngsters. Are they qualified?
..some are really qualified,some are...experienting one more,each optic shop punya testing equipments are different & you may get some different readings.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 16:22

Home away from home
Quote:

ahfeiko wrote:
..some are really qualified,some are...experienting one more,each optic shop punya testing equipments are different & you may get some different readings.

How do we know whether they are qualified or really qualified? Shouldn't an eye test supposed to be a standardized test?

Posted on: 2008/4/17 17:12

Home away from home
Most of them are not optometrists by training. But have been trained by the shops. The machines should be accurate

Posted on: 2008/4/17 19:12

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
I don't know whether the people at the shops are qualified, but I for one, never trust the machines. It was a long time ago, but my first and only machine test wielded unaccurate results. I don't know whether it's just that one time or not, but ever since I've always tested my degree the old fashioned way, with those spectacle thingy.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 20:26

Not too shy to talk
machine check should be accurate

Posted on: 2008/4/18 4:25

Home away from home
From Terra
When I had my glasses done so many years ago, we used both the machines and the old fashion overgrown Harry Potter interchangeable lenses spectacles, just to be sure. I believe most shops have the normal salespeople and the trained opticians.

Posted on: 2008/4/18 7:43

Home away from home
From kuciang
Quote:

KiLL HAnnAH wrote:
I don't know whether the people at the shops are qualified, but I for one, never trust the machines. It was a long time ago, but my first and only machine test wielded unaccurate results. I don't know whether it's just that one time or not, but ever since I've always tested my degree the old fashioned way, with those spectacle thingy.
..normally,after they use the modern digital Nikon testing machine,they still have to resort to using the bulky"mad scientist" interchangeable spec at the last testing.

Posted on: 2008/4/18 8:19

Not too shy to talk
the machine will only give u roughly idea of the degree. it won't be 100% accurate. so if the shop just test with the machine without further testing using those bulky interchangeable spec, then u better don't do it there.

some more, i think most of the shop here who hired those youngster who i don't think is a qualified optician, they r just trained by the shop owner to run the test.

so try to ask who r the optician when u go to those spec shop..

Posted on: 2008/4/18 9:07

Home away from home
Quote:

ranc79 wrote:
the machine will only give u roughly idea of the degree. it won't be 100% accurate. so if the shop just test with the machine without further testing using those bulky interchangeable spec, then u better don't do it there.

Yup, I think I agree with you, becos when we look inside the machine, we're not looking at the natural thing (I think) and focus at a shorter distance via the image inside the machine.
Anyway, there's a reply from the director general of health saying that a qualified optician should have a certificate displayed at their shop.
"The Health Ministry is aware of the problem and has already taken steps to educate the public by implementing the photo name certificate to be displayed in Optical outlets so that the public will not be cheated by unlicensed and unqualified practitioners."
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp? ... /focus/20841447&sec=focus

And there's also an optical act?

Posted on: 2008/4/18 10:26

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.