Main Menu
New Members
Isaac97 2012/9/4
KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Should camera be installed on every corner?
Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Well, the world is round and from the perspective of a visitor to the city, I would like to know more about this country. It can be a CCTV for industrial espionage or even helpful videos for the police to investigate dense cases.

Prior to today's rising crime rate, should all shops / lamp post in Kuching install a 24/7 camera to fit the purpose? It can be something like this. Hmm..

Posted on: 2008/4/14 11:24

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Should camera be installed on every corner?
Home away from home
From Sydney
I don't get it. You want CCTVs for what again? To assist in crime solving or for someone in Gdansk to know what someone on the Waterfront is wearing?

I did notice that they have installed quite a few CCTVs around Kuching's parks now. I even saw a few very discreet ones mounted at the area around Standard Chartered.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 11:30

Home away from home
From Kuching
Installing the equipment is one thing. Having competent personnel to monitor and act accordingly is another.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 11:44

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Quote:

mochaholic wrote:
I don't get it. You want CCTVs for what again? To assist in crime solving or for someone in Gdansk to know what someone on the Waterfront is wearing?

I did notice that they have installed quite a few CCTVs around Kuching's parks now. I even saw a few very discreet ones mounted at the area around Standard Chartered.

erm.. not me who want CCTV. I mean is it necessary to install one at each corner of the shoplots for monitoring / crim prevention / visitor information. Ah, I think all banks are required to install at least 2 on the main door?

Quote:

dckw wrote:
Installing the equipment is one thing. Having competent personnel to monitor and act accordingly is another.

Or maybe you don't have to monitor at all, at least leave it there until you really need to rewind back the vids captured. On the other hand, it can serve the purpose of live video (weather condition, street conditions, or a clear picture of how the place look like) for foreign visitors provided that they have internet access on their device.

[A bit out of topic...]

I think it's time for Kuching to go wireless everywhere (well at least TM NET provide free internet access for 3 years for example) on this information age since internet can provide vass info with no limits. By then, everyone can sit back enjoy and surf wherever, whenever and doesn't limit to starbucks or cafe. SG is praticing this type of free service in town now on every shopping malls and outlets.

Hehe. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 12:27

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From Sydney
I think I know what you mean now, Bytez. Regretted not taking a picture of the American Embassy in Canberra. Imagine CCTVs looking at CCTVs looking at the street. You'll be seeing more CCTVs there than trees.

CCTVs for crime prevention on streets may not be effective, but it does help in tracking down criminals, ditto with the banks. Yet, it does give you the feeling as if you're being watched wherever you go, and you don't have a sense of privacy. It's alright in a bank, a shopping mall or hotel lobby, but having a CCTV camera at every corner, or even 5 looking down at you for a 10m distance, that is just scary and a little too Big Brother-Orwellian scenario for me.

Keep in mind though, maintenance and manpower is always an issue, as per dckw. They need to be constantly repaired and kept in top condition, you'll still need people to man the stations and record the tapes, and even then, the technology to identify people on screen is quite pricey. Having decoy CCTVs though, could bring about the aforementioned Orwellian order and deter, but to a minor degree.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 12:40

Home away from home
From Kch
Ppl will start to feel paranoid.. and I'm not talking abt probable robbers/criminals.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 12:59
Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. - The Sandman #18, Neil Gaiman

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]