tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

relocation of Brooke family graves - to make way for DUN
Home away from home
From kuciang
a special prayer service will be conducted today in conjunction with the exhumation & reburial of the remains of the Brooke family members fro the White Rajah's family burial ground near the Astana. the cemetery is not a big plot - just a small garden at one's backyard but it is in the middle of the new DUN's courtyard.what say you ..?

Posted on: 2008/4/16 15:54

Re: relocation of Brooke family graves - to make way for DUN
Just can't stay away
From Kuching
I didn't know the Brookes were buried in Kuching.

what say me? heh DUN will be a haunted ground.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Terra
It's just the relatives, mostly babies, kids, Princess Gita; the Brookes themselves were buried in England. Hard to get to, it's by the foothills of Fort Margherita, I think. What say I? Perhaps the 'presence' of the dynastic blood might be enough to 'coerce' MPs to do their work and not talk all day.

Didn't they say they'll be building a memorial somewhere nearby once?

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:12

Home away from home
From kuciang
Quote:

webbie wrote:
I didn't know the Brookes were buried in Kuching.

what say me? heh DUN will be a haunted ground.
..yeaaah,& if you browse back the history ,some members of the family were killed. the surviving Brooke family member may not have objections to it but....the departed ones may...

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:14

Home away from home
From Singapore - Kuching
Oh, I thought the brooks are all buried in England and regarding the service, was it grand in the sense that a lot of people attending it? you say wat? buried at the middle of the DUN courtyard, hmm.. why don't they relocate somewhere nearby sarawak museum?

Ever thought of building a statue of James brooke in the CBD area to represent sarawak. Something like sir stamford raffles @ SG, raffles place?

Open in new window

Posted on: 2008/4/16 18:08

Weddings | Pre-Weddings @ Halycube.
Bloggie @ Halyconstudio.

Home away from home
From kuciang
Quote:

bytez wrote:
Oh, I thought the brooks are all buried in England and regarding the service, was it grand in the sense that a lot of people attending it? you say wat? buried at the middle of the DUN courtyard, hmm.. why don't they relocate somewhere nearby sarawak museum?

Ever thought of building a statue of James brooke in the CBD area to represent sarawak. Something like sir stamford raffles @ SG, raffles place?

Open in new window
...i think the local authority 'd prefer to built a statue of "you-know-who" - he done a lot for S'wak ba...
yes,according to the news,its located right at the middle of the Dun courtyard - scarry isn't it...

Posted on: 2008/4/17 8:02

Home away from home
It's a pity the Tourism authority didn't promote it.

I think they should not move the cemetary, I don't see any issue in having a burial grounds of past leaders (royal family) near the state assembly. In fact it can become a reminder for the presence assembly members on what was right and wrong in the past. Beside, if it is properly maintain, it should be a popular tourist destination, especially for European visitors wanting to know further about the history of white rajah.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 9:31

Home away from home
From kuciang
Quote:

Downsouth wrote:
It's a pity the Tourism authority didn't promote it.

I think they should not move the cemetary, I don't see any issue in having a burial grounds of past leaders (royal family) near the state assembly. In fact it can become a reminder for the presence assembly members on what was right and wrong in the past. Beside, if it is properly maintain, it should be a popular tourist destination, especially for European visitors wanting to know further about the history of white rajah.
YES,its wise & meaningful not to relocate.DUN exist to day is also because of the pasts,the histories & The Brookes .

Posted on: 2008/4/17 9:38

Home away from home
From Terra
They didn't promote it because it's just a plot of land, while there may be of some historical significance, it's just a graveyard with three small crosses and one massive cross.

The new burial ground apparently comes with a memorial to the Brookes. What would it look like, we have no idea, but the old city of Kuching to me is a fitting memorial to them. The old forts, the Old Courthouse, the General Post Office, the Sarawak Museum; all are fitting memorials to the Brooke Dynasty.

Singapore itself is a memorial to Sir Stamford Raffles and his vision, more than the alabaster statue facing Raffles Place.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 9:38

Home away from home
i guess they didn't promote jz because the Brooke's ain't a hero, but a "penjajah" to Malaysia. only few states in malaysia still pay a tribute to these ppl - Sarawak, Penang, Sabah. all the others i don't think so...

Posted on: 2008/4/17 9:49

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.