New Members
Isaac97 2012/9/4
KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

World War 2 underground chamber at Gambier Road?
Home away from home
From kuciang
recently discovered by local assembly man Dominique Ng - sounds very interesting & promising.it could be like this New york guy who discovered The Lost Tunnel of New York last year.that NY tunnel was bulit in 1844 & was the oldest subway.this time,this one at Gambier could be filled with treasure troves & many historical findings could be one the way.hope the authority halts the project for the time being for Museum S'wak to do some investigation,otherwise something very3 valuable to us might be just buried/wasted away again.what say you ?

Posted on: 2009/7/14 10:32

Re: World War 2 underground chamber at Gambier Road?
Quite a regular
The past is interesting isn't it? People always get an Indiana Jones feel when faced with something unknown or unexpected like this. Although it would be nice if it were a hidden bunker holding great unknowns, it's more likely something far more mundane yet still important. Although I have not seen the tunnel personally I think it's actually a sewer. Most people do not know that there were actually two small inlets or rivers in the old town area that were covered over. One river starts where the Chinese Chamber of commerce is, flows past the Tua Pek Kong Temple and Medan Pelita and ends in front of St. Mary School. The other river starts where the Bunkar Building stood where Mr. Ng took his photos and flowed past Electra House and terminated near the Central Police Station. In fact where the open air market is now located, was the river. In some old photos, you can see the open muddy river before it was filled in the the old fire station built on top. Both rivers were covered up in the 1910-1920's I think.

When the traffic intersection in front of St. Mary's School was made into a traffic light, some areas were dug up and me being the ever curious chap went to have a look. Sure enough after digging to a certain depth, the old sewer was exposed. It was built in the exact same manner as the tunnels MP Ng found. Brick and motar with a curved arch. This was right in front of "The Junk Restaurant" I also searched piles of dug up earth from the same pit for porcelain shards, which is a hobby of mine. As expected I found 18th and 19th century porcelain pieces from from kilns located Fujian and Jiangxi province in China and some European tin glazed pottery and Delft pottery and a few Brooke coins and some English black glass bottles. However I did find something very unexpected. I found about half of a little blue and white Chinese dish that dates to the late Ming period circa 1600's which was long before Kuching was supposed to exist. What was it doing there?

Anyways it would be very nice if the Museum were given permission to examine the site. The Tunnels are large enough for a person to walk into while bent over. However as with everything in Sarawak, nothing can get done without the approval of White Hair. If the museum gets a direct order not to interfere with the Waterfront Extension, there is nothing they can do. And White Hair seems damn persistent that nothing should interfere with this project. History and heritage be damned.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 13:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
we should always remember..somethings that are lost to development can never be restored.before any further development be carried out maybe the muzeum curator or archeologist should examine the site.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 13:34

Home away from home
From kuciang
waa..Pyro,you're good.let me guess,you must be an engineer or architect.yeah,from the photo,those bricks are quite new - the colour and shape.if its old bricks,their colour and shapes are different,but its worth investigating.who knows,one find leads to another find.talking about conserving,yes we must try our best to conserve or restore any old structures thats witnesses the time,era of how our place evoles or changes with modernisation.theres always room for modernisation and development but if too much a portion of historical relics or structures are done away,its not fair to the next,next generations to come.in fact,we dont really have an exact records or 100% of how Kuching was like during the 15th,16th or 17th century.below the Merdeka Padang could be a lost civilization,...younno .hopefully,S'wak Museum staffs'd gets down to the site promptly and do some study or struts their stuff.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 21:46

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
News & Photo from Borneo Post
http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=54764

KUCHING: Padungan assemblyman Dominique Ng yesterday claimed to have discovered a pre-World War II underground chamber and a possible system of tunnels under Gambier Street.

This followed his investigation on information he received on Sunday night that beneath the podium supporting the demolished garment store, which was once the Government Information Service building, there were potential archeological relics.

Therefore, he appealed to the state government to halt the demolition work at the site as there could be historical and archeological structures that could be preserved.

“I appeal to the state government to immediately stop demolishing the site at the Gambier Street Market.

“This is to prevent the destruction of the historical structures,” he told reporters after he investigated the place the night before.

He said he found two small openings at two diametrically opposing corners of the podium.

He also said the openings led to what appeared to be underground cellars or chambers neatly lined by bricks and possible brick archways.

Ng also claimed that there could be other assets hidden there which warranted investigation.

He added that the place was very safe and the structure of the building still solid and hence the demolition of the place should be reviewed.

“The structure of the old Information building which was situated there is very strong and the main pillar is still very straight and safe.

“I’m very sad to see that the place which could be of historical value and could be a potential tourist destination and attraction destroyed just like that.

“I believe the place is of historical and archeological importance, so I lodged a report at the police headquarters this (yesterday) morning around 7.29am,” he said.

He hoped the police could protect the site and the Museum Department could carry out the preservation work and protect the place from vanishing from the eyes of the public.

An official of the Museum Department, when contacted yesterday, said they would investigate Ng’s claims.

Attach file:

jpg  000050205.jpg (58.86 KB)
1963_4a5cb6c738e28.jpg 250X168 px

Posted on: 2009/7/15 0:47

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
woops! its not any secret tunnel after all as stated in today's paper.

its just an old architecture on how they construct buildings

Posted on: 2009/7/15 10:08

Quite a regular
Yep. Turns out to be the foundation of the building above. Still interesting how something like part of the structure unseen by human eyes have been exposed after 80 years. Anyways the government is swiftly putting an end to this. The area has been cordoned of since yesterday afternoon with some guards and the demolishment works resumed full speed ahead. Everything must be flattened before the coming ruler's conference. Don't want them rulers to see any messy old derelicts now do we?

Posted on: 2009/7/15 12:38

Just can't stay away
From Kuching
and yea, its sad & disappointing.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 13:01

Home away from home
From miri
How buildings are constructed PROPERLY back in the old days?

I have some doubts over the info, and regardless, it's a shame they have to tear down every single damn thing whenever they feel like it.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 17:48

Home away from home
From Kota Samarahan
i tot so... there are no such thing....

Posted on: 2009/7/15 19:17

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.